Driving in Scotland

S3fan

Kiteyboy
Reaction score
We are having a couple of weeks up in Scotland at the end of August; a week in the Trossachs and then a week in Ballater.

Can anyone recommend some good driving roads? I know there will be lots of them, but any one in particular that you think it wort a drive?

Thanks.

Around Ballater if you want to drive just avoid the main road along the Dee towards Aberdeen - it will be the busiest. It's a nice area though.

Out of Ballater heading towards Braemar, and just out of Ballater hook a right and join the Cockbridge - Tomintoull road...over the Lecht ski resort and into Whisky country...
The Cockbridge - Tomontoull is one of the best roads I've ever driven...it's sublime!

Or, out of Ballater heading towards Braemar, the hook a left onto the Glenshee road, over the Spittal of Glenshee and down to Blairgowrie.

Different countryside heading north to south (both stunning), but either way...great roads.
Glenshee will likely be quieter, and the roads are not as good, in my view (surface wise)...the Cockbridge - Tomintoull road north would be my 'don't miss' road.

This is just after the climb out of Corgarf (just past Corgarf castle) - awesome whatever the time of year:

DSCF1046.jpg

Car10.jpg

What could be better than countryside like that, no cars in sight, and smooth challenging roads as far as the eye can see?

Stop and get a pic at that passing place...join the club! :icon_thumright:

car01.jpg

Hey there Sfan.....re good driving roads.

When you're in the Trossachs area presumably somewhere near Stirling, take the A84 road to Callander ( a lovely little beauty spot around 15 miles or so outside Stirling )...If you can, follow on from there and take the A85 which becomes the A82 road onwards as sign posted for Fort Willaim. This'll take you up through some fantastic roads ( rally style twists n turns through mountain passes and Glens ) but you'll be so impressed with the scenery you'll probably dawdle along. You'll pass Bridge of Orchy and follow on to Rannoch Moor
sunrise-rannoch-moor_434.jpg

and eventually reach Glen Coe.
040402_rfoster_mp_geo_glencoe.jpg

Allegedly the Campbells murdered the McDonalds there in around 1692 but its all tosh trust me.....I'm a Campbell, I know its all lies...lol
After you pass the Kings Hotel and the ski resort if you look very very carefully on your left hand side as the road gets a little tight and you pass through some blasted rock you will see ( if you're lucky ) a stunning waterfall. If you miss it, but go as far as Glen Coe you can't miss it on the way back"
3613863896_5618c63df0.jpg

Its absolutely gorgeous, and if you're lucky and get a really nice / hot day there is a layby right next to it where you can stop ( as most people do ) it makes a great photo opportunity, or better still, either for you and or the kids, a great cooling off point.
I've jumped in myself more than a few times ( its great fun ) and the water is crystal clear and ice cold. If you climb up to the top of the waterfall, there's a "sink hole" around 6 foot dia and around 15 foot deep.......try jumping in there....lol

As for Ballater - you can either take the A93 from Blairgowrie right up past Balmoral Castel and Crathie to Ballater which is a beautiful run OR head up the A94 for Aberdeen and cut off at the B966 for Edzell and then onto the B974 up and over the "Cairn O Mount" to Banchory, take a left onto the A93 and back into Ballater that way. This way you get some faster dual carriageways, a shortcut and some great scenery too.

Hope you have a great holiday

All the best:beerchug:

Jim

Last edited:
Out of Ballater heading towards Braemar, and just out of Ballater hook a right and join the Cockbridge - Tomintoull road...over the Lecht ski resort and into Whisky country...
The Cockbridge - Tomontoull is one of the best roads I've ever driven...it's sublime!

I'd have to say that's one of the best roads too. But I couldn't stop and turn around at Tomintoull - not when you can keep going on to Granton-on-Spey :)

Stop and get a pic at that passing place...join the club! :icon_thumright:

Yay!
dsc00037.jpg

I'd have to say that's one of the best roads too. But I couldn't stop and turn around at Tomintoull - not when you can keep going on to Granton-on-Spey :)

...and on to Dufftown, Aberlour etc...
Or the other way to Carrbridge/Aviemore.
Hell, yeah!

dsc00037.jpg

Sweet! Another member!

Next time I go past I'll stop. I always go over the Lecht to Aviemore, much more fun!

I can't wait....thanks for the info chaps.

Well chaps, had a great 2 weeks in Scotland. If you haven't taken your car up there, you don't know what you are missing.

A few pics for you....

The road from Ballater up to Tomintoul. (Thanks Glen :applaus:)

Picture117.jpg

Picture137.jpg

The road from Rannoch Station (If you have kids into Harry Potter this is where they do some filming, as it is the back of beyond. Filming for the next movie there mid September) It doesn't look much but there is nearly 5 miles of this, and it was totally deserted.

Picture252.jpg

Near to Ben Lawers.

Picture052.jpg

No dear I don't have any idea.But the road Wat I'm looking is good enough to drive.I'm sure you will enjoy your drive.Post the pics I'm eagerly waiting to see the pics.

Wow...fantastic pics and loverly scenery.....and cracking roads ! Must get back up there !

Didnt get to do much this year but some nice roads and scenery. West coast is the best.

2007_04140024.jpg

DSC_0091_0092_Group_Stitch.jpg

Just got back from a week in scotland.Did 2500miles in 7 days.The majority of the roads are in fantastic condition(far better than our local roads!!:motz:) but i would advise anyone who is going and not familiar with the roads to get a good camera detector cos they are everywhere!!!
Paul:nyah: