Badger5EM Tuning
    Kiteyboy

Status

Driving in Scotland

We are having a couple of weeks up in Scotland at the end of August; a week in the Trossachs and then a week in Ballater.

Can anyone recommend some good driving roads? I know there will be lots of them, but any one in particular that you think it wort a drive?

Thanks.
    Evo - May 2002 "...For keen drivers, the revised S3 is currently the best car Audi makes."

2. # ADS
    ADS

Yeee-haw
    Jason's Pong Champion

Status
    Around Ballater if you want to drive just avoid the main road along the Dee towards Aberdeen - it will be the busiest. It's a nice area though.

Status
    Out of Ballater heading towards Braemar, and just out of Ballater hook a right and join the Cockbridge - Tomintoull road...over the Lecht ski resort and into Whisky country...
    The Cockbridge - Tomontoull is one of the best roads I've ever driven...it's sublime!

Or, out of Ballater heading towards Braemar, the hook a left onto the Glenshee road, over the Spittal of Glenshee and down to Blairgowrie.

Different countryside heading north to south (both stunning), but either way...great roads.
    Glenshee will likely be quieter, and the roads are not as good, in my view (surface wise)...the Cockbridge - Tomintoull road north would be my 'don't miss' road.

This is just after the climb out of Corgarf (just past Corgarf castle) - awesome whatever the time of year:

What could be better than countryside like that, no cars in sight, and smooth challenging roads as far as the eye can see?

Stop and get a pic at that passing place...join the club!

Please note:
    The views expressed on Audi-Sport.net are the personal views of its contributors (including me), and not that of the Website or the Moderator/Administration team.

1st Gear

Status

Hey there Sfan.....re good driving roads.

When you're in the Trossachs area presumably somewhere near Stirling, take the A84 road to Callander ( a lovely little beauty spot around 15 miles or so outside Stirling )...If you can, follow on from there and take the A85 which becomes the A82 road onwards as sign posted for Fort Willaim. This'll take you up through some fantastic roads ( rally style twists n turns through mountain passes and Glens ) but you'll be so impressed with the scenery you'll probably dawdle along. You'll pass Bridge of Orchy and follow on to Rannoch Moor
    and eventually reach Glen Coe.

Allegedly the Campbells murdered the McDonalds there in around 1692 but its all tosh trust me.....I'm a Campbell, I know its all lies...lol
    After you pass the Kings Hotel and the ski resort if you look very very carefully on your left hand side as the road gets a little tight and you pass through some blasted rock you will see ( if you're lucky ) a stunning waterfall. If you miss it, but go as far as Glen Coe you can't miss it on the way back"

Its absolutely gorgeous, and if you're lucky and get a really nice / hot day there is a layby right next to it where you can stop ( as most people do ) it makes a great photo opportunity, or better still, either for you and or the kids, a great cooling off point.
    I've jumped in myself more than a few times ( its great fun ) and the water is crystal clear and ice cold. If you climb up to the top of the waterfall, there's a "sink hole" around 6 foot dia and around 15 foot deep.......try jumping in there....lol

As for Ballater - you can either take the A93 from Blairgowrie right up past Balmoral Castel and Crathie to Ballater which is a beautiful run OR head up the A94 for Aberdeen and cut off at the B966 for Edzell and then onto the B974 up and over the "Cairn O Mount" to Banchory, take a left onto the A93 and back into Ballater that way. This way you get some faster dual carriageways, a shortcut and some great scenery too.

Hope you have a great holiday

All the best

Jim
    Last edited by JimC64; 13th July 2009 at 10:42.
    MY2008 (58) XJ X358 2.7 Tdvi Sovereign LWB remapped to 245bhp, Black, Ivory leather interior with black piping, 20" Alloys

MY2007 Audi A6 2.0 Tdi SE
    176bhp Stratos Blue, badged as 3.0 Tdi Quattro.Front & Rear park assist,Comms Pack High,Sline grille badge added, 19" RS4 alloys,Rear tints,Dipped bulbs 80W,Mainbeams & Foglights 100W,Number plate LED's,Interior LED's,First Aid Kit,Bootliner,Mudflaps front & rear,Calipers & hubs painted

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    Dammit I must go to Scotland soon, beautiful pics
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

hud at ye bam

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ess_Three View Post
    Out of Ballater heading towards Braemar, and just out of Ballater hook a right and join the Cockbridge - Tomintoull road...over the Lecht ski resort and into Whisky country...
    The Cockbridge - Tomontoull is one of the best roads I've ever driven...it's sublime!
    I'd have to say that's one of the best roads too. But I couldn't stop and turn around at Tomintoull - not when you can keep going on to Granton-on-Spey

Stop and get a pic at that passing place...join the club!
    Yay!
    [/sarcasm]

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ChriS3 View Post
    I'd have to say that's one of the best roads too. But I couldn't stop and turn around at Tomintoull - not when you can keep going on to Granton-on-Spey
    ...and on to Dufftown, Aberlour etc...
    Or the other way to Carrbridge/Aviemore.
    Hell, yeah!

Sweet! Another member!

Please note:
    The views expressed on Audi-Sport.net are the personal views of its contributors (including me), and not that of the Website or the Moderator/Administration team.

Yeee-haw
    Jason's Pong Champion

Status
    Next time I go past I'll stop. I always go over the Lecht to Aviemore, much more fun!

Kiteyboy

Status
    I can't wait....thanks for the info chaps.
    Evo - May 2002 "...For keen drivers, the revised S3 is currently the best car Audi makes."

Kiteyboy

Status
    Well chaps, had a great 2 weeks in Scotland. If you haven't taken your car up there, you don't know what you are missing.

A few pics for you....

The road from Ballater up to Tomintoul. (Thanks Glen )

The road from Rannoch Station (If you have kids into Harry Potter this is where they do some filming, as it is the back of beyond. Filming for the next movie there mid September) It doesn't look much but there is nearly 5 miles of this, and it was totally deserted.

Near to Ben Lawers.

keinjohn36
    No dear I don't have any idea.But the road Wat I'm looking is good enough to drive.I'm sure you will enjoy your drive.Post the pics I'm eagerly waiting to see the pics.

4th Gear

Status
    Wow...fantastic pics and loverly scenery.....and cracking roads ! Must get back up there !
    Monza Silver A4 2.0TDi S-Line Avant Quattro (170) - Heated Alcantara Leather, Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Folding Door Miirrors, Electric Tailgate, Privacy Glass, etc

Works 60% the time, Everytime.

Status
    Didnt get to do much this year but some nice roads and scenery. West coast is the best.

2003 Audi S3 + Go faster bits

Neutral

Status
    Just got back from a week in scotland.Did 2500miles in 7 days.The majority of the roads are in fantastic condition(far better than our local roads!!) but i would advise anyone who is going and not familiar with the roads to get a good camera detector cos they are everywhere!!!
    Paul
    1999 Audi S4 2.7 bi-turbo*SOLD*
    1997 landrover defender 100" winch challenge truck
    1998 Range rover 4.6 autobiography