Sky dive for charity.

Purple Princess

Reaction score
Hi all

Im going to do a skydive for a charity(No I didnt bang my head!) and I would like some serious ideas of a charity. I would love to help the likes of the British heart foundation or Cancer research, However im inclined to help out a smaller charity who does'nt get too much funding etc. So im asking for ideas etc

Thanks for your time
Stacie

I'd be going for Cancer Research (family reasons). My brothers just about to start a HUGE charity motorbike ride for it....£1500 rasied by him alone so far...there are 5 of them doing it :)

I also have personal reasons for the cancer charity however they get so much funding/donations I would love to help a smaller charity. You know make a noticalbe diferance.Well done to your bro and his mates :)

Good for you Stacie mate any charity is a worth while cause. How do you go about doing something like this? I'd like to do something to raise money for Kidney Research as its very close to me

im not saying anyone deserves to die over anyone else but i think childrens hospital charrity something like that is the best choice these little blighters have just got into the world ..

and after having my little girl it would crucify me to see her ill id do anything for her ,

seeing children ill is very sad they need help the most id say......i may have to do something myself

You can do it in groups it works out cheaper........maybe we could do it all together :) Linky...
http://www.ukskydiving.com/?gclid=CKvmhriunZsCFaAA4wodu0-FoQ
I have an info pack coming. If anyone would like to do it too then let me know, we will sort something out!!

As for the charity I do think it will be a childrens charity. They helped my nephew and my neices when they were all born way to early. I agree that its so sad and distressing to see little ones ill. I will have to decide which hospital but I think it may be a childrens hospice...

I'm interested! I've got nothing else to do.. when are you planning to fall from the sky? :superman:

Come on boys you know you want too!! Im looking to do it towards the end of August, I need to come round to the idea im going to throw myself out of a plane!!!

I think we should do an audi meet/jump out of a plane for charity day :)

Oh, before I sign on the dotted line, I need to know what it's going to cost. If it's silly money, then I'm going to have to give it a miss. :moa:

har har @ Jojo

Stacie heres one local to you and a very worthy cause
http://www.tyhafan.org/

I did look at this I do feel it is a very worth while cause. It will be this or the Gwent!!

Jojo- It is about £150 to do it however if there is a group of us it will be cheaper and if you raise enough money you can use half to pay for the jump and give half to the charity. Go on matey its very worth it :)

I did look at this I do feel it is a very worth while cause. It will be this or the Gwent!!

Jojo- It is about £150 to do it however if there is a group of us it will be cheaper and if you raise enough money you can use half to pay for the jump and give half to the charity. Go on matey its very worth it :)

£150 isn't too bad, let me know when then, and I'll see if I can make it. It's one of those things you need to do at least once before you die, so I might aswell get it over and done with. :)

I've always been curious about the sensation of free-fall from altitude; but as someone with a keen interest in aviation I've always struggled somewhat with the idea of jumping out of a perfectly working aircraft when there's no weight on the landing gear.

The other thought that's been quite prominent in my evaluating the activity is that if something does go wrong, you've probably got a while to consider your fate. Once you've had a good few seconds screaming, panic, terror (etc.), there's probably still a couple of hundred feet left for you to consider that you chose to jump out of a working plane at x0,000 feet, and that you probably shouldn't be too surprised about what happens next.

It's one of those things you need to do at least once before you die

And it's all the nicer if it's more than 2-5 minutes before that point, and leaves the option to do it again!

Anyway, all that said, I might seriously be tempted to join-in if it ends up being a coach-party...

Regards,

Rob.

PS> I suppose (as anything) it's quite safe if you're careful. One of my Mum's cousins has a skydiving school, and his advice was that if it all goes belly up, you put your arms out to the sides, put one foot over the other and go in right hand thread to make 'screwing you back out' nice and easy :)

I did one in NZ from 9000ft IIRC. I was ok when we flying up there, but went a bit quiet when they opened the door! When you jump out for the first second or two, but literally just that you feel like you are falling, but when you have leveled out it's just like it's windy, but you don't really have the sensation of falling. Its a good experience though.

I think we did freefall for 30 secs, and then the chute is pulled which nearly ripped me in half :redface: - and then it's pretty serene as you just glide back down to earth.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, and whilst I 'would' do it again I don't feel I 'need' to do it again!

I realise I might be a little late with this one but I've been asked to post the following links from a friend of the family concerned.

Joshua is only 13months old and has been diagnosed with a rare and often fatal cancer. The list of the treatments and operations he has endured in such a short time (and at such a young age) is heart-breaking.

Please take a minute to read about Joshua's story here:
http://www.joshua-appeal.org/index.php

Donations can be made here:
http://www.justgiving.com/joshua-appeal/?pid=2003240&dtpn=1#DonationTable

Thanks.

Dave.

That is indeed a heartbreaking story, poor little fella was born one day before my daughter so it's particularly poignant.

Hopefully everyone can spare a fiver for that cause :thumbsup:

This hasn't been forgotten she is waiting for more info from places before committing and then fleecing us all at Audis in the park i expect.

It is a sad story above , i want her to support a cancer charity as we have both been hit by the unseen killer

This hasn't been forgotten she is waiting for more info from places before committing and then fleecing us all at Audis in the park i expect.

Lol, make sure she posts in here for those of us who can't make it ;)

Sorry about the lack of a reply, I subscribed to the thread but haven't received any email notifications of new posts for some reason.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks to those people who have donated. I'm not connected to the family involved but I'm sure they'll be eternally grateful for every donation, regardless of the amount.

On a personal note, it's really heartwarming to see complete strangers willing to help out a family that they've never met and probably never will. Thanks again.

For anyone that isn't on Facebook but has donated, the following message has been sent:

"Dear all

We just wanted to take the time to thank each and every one of you for joining Joshua’s facebook group. Please be assured that this isn’t just a numbers game. The more people that join his group and know about his appeal, the more chance we have of raising the money needed to take him abroad for treatment which could drastically improve his chances of survival. By friends inviting friends inviting friends etc, we’ve had offers of fundraising from all over the country from people we don’t even know. This is fantastic and shows it’s not what you know but who you know!
If you haven’t already done so, please please send this group to everyone you know – work colleagues, family and friends etc and ask them to do the same. Put his appeal on your status and email his website link to those not on facebook. You never know who might read it!!!
You can donate easily online by visiting Joshua’s website – every penny we raise counts. Please keep checking his group; we shall be adding an update soon on his progress.
Thank you to everyone who has helped – either by donating or spreading the word. We truly are amazed at all the support we’ve had.
Best wishes
Amy, Steve & Joshua Deller
"

So glad that the smaller (often more vital) charities are being considered for once.

Huge corporate monsters/businesses like CRUK have more millions than they know what to do with.

It is a sad story above , i want her to support a cancer charity as we have both been hit by the unseen killer

My wife's Auntie owns and runs a parachute school in Nottinghamshire so I maybe able to get her to sort a good deal out.... I won't be taking part myself as I seriously hate heights but if I can help then let me know!

Another Facebook update:

"Dear all
I will keep this as brief as possible but please check Joshua’s group as there are new updates, photo’s and discussion board topics etc

We are very aware that we only have 55 days left until Joshua must start the antibody treatment in New York. We’re not trying to sound dramatic but the grim reality is that the odds are heavily stacked against our dear little boy. Uncomfortable reading we know.

We’ve had a fantastic response to the fundraising! Our total so far, including cheques, is in the region of £30k - but we still have a long way to go. We appreciate this isn’t the best time to fundraise so if you are unable to donate there are still many things you can do to make a difference (especially if everyone did them!)

Please invite all your facebook contacts to join Joshua’s group and forward his Appeal to any non facebook users. This does make a difference and donations have come in from people who don’t even know us! It’s such a simple thing to do but a few clicks could mean a few £’s!

Dress down/up day at work. You may think there’s no point if you only work in a small office but there’s every point. A fiver is a smashing amount (especially if everyone did it!)

Donate your unwanted old mobile phones and gold/silver jewellery. Please see the discussions board on Joshua’s group for more details but we are collecting unwanted mobiles and gold and silver jewellery regardless of condition. These will be converted into cash which will go directly to Joshua’s Appeal.

We desperately want to give our baby the best chance of beating this awful disease but we can’t do it without your help. Thank you to everyone who is helping us – either by donating or fundraising. Remember there’s still time for you to make a difference, regardless of how small.
Thanks for reading this but most of all, thanks for caring.
With very best wishes, Amy, Steve & Joshua xx"