Sky InsuranceMonster Motorsport
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Defo worth the wait :)

Status

Driving with Lights on in the Daytime

Recently when driving in the daytime, I have noticed alot more people/cars driving in the daytime with their lights on.

Does anyone on here drive with their lights on in the daytime and if so, why??

Cheers
    Nilz

2. # ADS
    ADS

cabriolet

Status
    nilz,
    there must be alot of volvos in your area.
    either that or its the twats that leave there fog lights on branching out a little further. lol
    LOTS DONE, LOTS SPENT !!!!

Drive It Like You Stole It

Status
    I do quite often!

Not all the time mind, I just sometimes get the urge.

I've got xenons as well and get some rather disapproving looks of folk!

I just think it looks cool, and also there is less chance of some halfwit pulling out on you.
    Milltek non-resonated cat-back - 15mm MTM spacers - Toyo T1R's all round - RS4 Pedals+foot rest - Blackout model front grilles - Custom black front badge - de-badged boot - R8 oil cap - silver indicator bulbs - Dodo Juice supernatural wax - ECS tuning Porsche cayenne brake kit ready to fit or sell?...

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    I used to a bit, but don't so much now. However I am the first to put them on if visibility is at all reduced

More and more cars are fitted with DRL's now, I see even the Golf has them. I think it is only a matter of time until we fall into line with parts of Europe where use of headlights in the daytime is compulsory, parts of Scandinavia, Eastern Europe and Italy already do this, and the Dutch have been doing it for years.
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

Smell my finger.

Status
    It annoys the crap out of me. Mainly when the lights are on some complete ****box with an aftermarket HID kit and as the car bounces around due to its chopped springs the lights dazzle anyone within half a mile of them.

At the risk of being flames....the DRL's on new Audis I find quite distracting...its like fairy lights.
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

5th Gear

Status
    Always on when on the bike.

Dipped headlights on the car as soon as visibility is at all reduced.

Cheers,
    Alistair

"Why don't you listen to something really classical, like Mozart, Mendelssohn or Motorhead?"
    Arnold Rimmer, 1988

Commuting & Weekend Fun:
    Yamaha YZF-1000R Thunder Ace in Blue/Black

Practical Alternative (Still fun though!!):
    S3 2002/51 AMK Silver, Symphony II + Bose + xCarLink + AndyMac Stealth Sub, Metallic Mirrors, Heated Black Leather, Cruise control.

is a retronaut

Status
    My mate once told me he drove with his on because it may prevent an accident one day and it doesn't cost anything to keep them on so why not?

I have DRLs on all the time for the same reason, safety. I have noticed a dramatic increase in people driving with their lights on over the last 2 years. It's a good thing!
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

6th Gear

Status
    I drive with mine on in the day quite a bit. It makes me more visible which has to be a good thing

Life begins at 140mph
    Sell my Audi??? Kiss my rings!
    www.passionford.com

Works 60% the time, Everytime.

Status
    As soon as I start the car my lights are turned on. Makes people aware of my presence much more easily.

2003 Audi S3 + Go faster bits

Status
    OK I can understand bikers having their lights on, as there is obviously less of them to see, however with the cars, I dont really have a problem with it, but it just seems to be a realy variety of cars driving with their lights on, from newbie DRL equipped cars to some old cars as well (not just Volvos)

Just noticed recently that I see alot more cars with their lights on in the daytime.

Guess it makes sense about the presence on the road thing as well, I wont get started on the Fogs on in the day (or night come to think of it)though!!!!

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by nilz18t View Post
    I wont get started on the Fogs on in the day (or night come to think of it)though!!!!
    Idiots with front fog lights on during all conditions!!
    8P2 S3

Top Gear
    Cell-Out Champion

Status
    I read somewhere that in 2012, all cars will be required to have their lights on while driving, even during the day. I think soem European countried already have this law.

what is worse though is that drivers who don't bother putting their lights on until it io pitch black. Their reason is they can see other cars (with lights on) on the road, so don't need to put their lights on...LOL
    ^^ In my opinion

Brum brum

Status
    Yeah, you're right abdus. Daytime running lights become mandatory on new vehicles across Europe relatively soon. I think manufacturers are just implementing the changes early especially Audi who seem to be putting the 'bling' row of LED lights on everything now.

In terms of whether they are actually safer - I guess so in the long run, but I know of someone who ended up T-boning a car that pulled out in front of him at a junction. When questioned the other driver said 'You flashed your lights to let me out'. He didn't - all they could conclude was that a bump in the road made it look like he'd flashed his lights. Ultimately it was the other drivers fault as he wasn't paying full attention, but the fact that the lights was a contributary factor.

Now I know flashing your lights, according to the highway code, is a warning, like sounding your horn. However in everyday driving it has been reinterpreted to mean you are giving permission for someone to pull out.

My driving instructor taught me to put my lights on whenever the window wipers are on - if it's raining, visibility is reduced, and hence the lights.
    Jason
    2001 Nogaro S3 (daily driver)

1958 replica Porsche 356 Speedster (summer posing)
    1997 Seat Cordoba SX 16v (track day toy) replacing (t)rusty 1994 Seat Ibiza GTi RIP

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jcs356 View Post
    Now I know flashing your lights, according to the highway code, is a warning, like sounding your horn. However in everyday driving it has been reinterpreted to mean you are giving permission for someone to pull out.
    Jason,I haven't noticed this courtesy in any countries I've driven in,they look at you gone out if you flash them.

10-15% less accidents by having daytime lights oh and I don't switch mine on unless its a grey day/raining.
    Anyone realise the bulb has a certain amount of hours in it ?

4th Gear

Status
    Got lights on auto, so if they are on l didnt put them on.
    l admit that l get annoyed when driving along a bumpy road and think oncoming traffic is flashing at me, at night is fine but during the day it isnt. Then again, driving like a banshee out of hell will cause oncomers to flash if theres a camera ahead.
    Last edited by dc240969; 20th June 2009 at 09:15.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by voorhees View Post
    Jason,I haven't noticed this courtesy in any countries I've driven in,they look at you gone out if you flash them.

10-15% less accidents by having daytime lights oh and I don't switch mine on unless its a grey day/raining.
    Anyone realise the bulb has a certain amount of hours in it ?
    I've heard a rumour that the bulbs have a certain life span and that they are designed to outlast the actual car, don't know how true this is...

I've been driving more and more often with my lights on, if it's a bright day I'm not so inclined but as soon as it turns dull there on...
    revo'd

3rd Gear

Status
    Although it will only make a small amount of difference to the amount of fuel you use (remember that the engine is working harder to power the lights) add this up against every car in Europe and it will make a large increase in CO2 emissions and profits for the petrochems/governments!

Available soon in the For Sale Section.....

RS4 Pedals - Drivers side mirror mounting/wiring
    B6 Cab Front Grills - Drivers side B6 Cab Headlamp
    Moro Blue Mirror Caps - Full set of Cab Windscreen Surrounds
    Symphony 6 disc Head - Unit Full set of B6 Cab Manuals inc Leather Wallet
    N/S B6 Rear Lamp - RS6 Auto Brake Pedal

PM for more details.......

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by markyzs180 View Post
    Although it will only make a small amount of difference to the amount of fuel you use (remember that the engine is working harder to power the lights) add this up against every car in Europe and it will make a large increase in CO2 emissions and profits for the petrochems/governments!
    I think that is one reason Audi have used LED DRL's as they use such little energy.

is a retronaut

Status
    So what if the bulbs only have a limited life! Get new ones!

It's not really possible to say what percentage of accidents have been avoided by driving with lights on, but even 1% is worth it. And don't forget the chances of hitting a pedestrian are reduced too.
    8P2 S3

thats me

Status
    It might be lights set on auto, my wifes golf seems to switch them on even when its still quite light outside
    red to red black to black blue to bits

Status
    When in Egypt last year, even in the dark, drivers didnt have their lights on, it was very strange!!

However the street lighting was SUPER powerful and drivers only flashed their lights to make other drivers aware that they are there, as for giving way to other drivers, it was non existent, every man for themselves, weaving in and out, like a go kart race track!!

5th Gear

Status
    When in Egypt last year, even in the dark, drivers didnt have their lights on, it was very strange!!

However the street lighting was SUPER powerful and drivers only flashed their lights to make other drivers aware that they are there, as for giving way to other drivers, it was non existent, every man for themselves, weaving in and out, like a go kart race track!!
    Lol, I went Egypt in Jan and I'm off there again on the 29th. I think the driving over there is insane. I drove a taxi and it was an experience to say the least. One day there was a small water leak and water was running across the road, I don't think any of the drivers there had driven in the wet before as they all slowed to literally 1mph to go through it. And as you say, at night it's rare to see any drivers with anything more than their side lights on.

Neutral

Status
    I drive with mine on in the day quite a bit. It makes me more visible which has to be a good thing same for me

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Staz View Post
    It's not really possible to say what percentage of accidents have been avoided by driving with lights on, but even 1% is worth it. And don't forget the chances of hitting a pedestrian are reduced too.
    I read this
    " Permanently switched on lights on cars can reduce daytime road traffic accidents. A meta-analysis of 17 observational studies of the effect of daytime running lights found that there were 10-15% less multi party daytime crashes in cars with the lights switched on."

5th Gear

Status

I went over to Luxor a few years ago, and loved one of the road signs that read something like 'It is the sign of a civilised society to obey the traffic lights'. Certainly made me laugh...

Cheers,
    Alistair

"Why don't you listen to something really classical, like Mozart, Mendelssohn or Motorhead?"
    Arnold Rimmer, 1988

Commuting & Weekend Fun:
    Yamaha YZF-1000R Thunder Ace in Blue/Black

Practical Alternative (Still fun though!!):
    S3 2002/51 AMK Silver, Symphony II + Bose + xCarLink + AndyMac Stealth Sub, Metallic Mirrors, Heated Black Leather, Cruise control.

Looking for Zombies !!

Status
    People will still have accidents and pedestrians will still think they are immortal and run out in front of you regardless of if you have your lights on or not.

Stupid people will still do stupid things no matter what you try and do to prevent it.

JSD 2.59
    Synergy-Solutions

va va voom

Status
    It does my head in when a car is parked on the road and has left their lights on, blinds me.

other then that driving with lights on in the daytime i sometimes do and sometimes dont. depends really what mood am in
    ~ ~ ~2003 Audi S3 BAM ~ Ming Blue ~ 18" BBS Alloys ~ Heated Black Leather ~ Forge DV ~ RNS-E ~ denison ipod link~ parrot mk6100 bluetooth ~ ~ ~

Still need Remap

2007 Audi S3 8L
    2005 Audi A3 1.6 sport grey with climate control
    2003 Audi A3 1.6 sport black without climate contol

Beer God

Status
    Yeah, first thing I realised when I moved to Germany, flashing lights at another car and being polite confuses the f*ck out of them...

I read something a few years back that a human's eyes will focus on a light source first when looking in a given direction, even in summer I still drive with driving lights on.
    Volvo V50 D5 R-Design

Status
    Have to agree with Ricks, I hate it when people pull over and park up facing you and then sit their with their lights on full!!!

6th Gear

Status
    Every person that drives with their headights on it increasing the chances of a biker being taken out!

Bikes have head lights on as they're so easily over looked. If everyone has their headlights on then the advantage bikers have by standing out will vanish and people will be more blind to them.

DRL's are not just headlights turned on for a reason. I've no issues with the Audi DRLs as you wouldn't mistake a bike for one. Headlights on all day are another thing entirely.

Hopefully this post raises some awareness to this issue for those who weren't aware of it.

Cheers
    MY2010 B8 A4 Avant 2.0TFSI quattro S-line Executive
    Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    Gone : B6 S4 (AMD stage 3), TT (APR), Golf GTi, CBR600F

Beer God

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by scoTTy View Post
    Every person that drives with their headights on it increasing the chances of a biker being taken out!
    Not really, personally if Im pulling out of a junction and notice some headlights Im going to be more cautious regardless of whether its a bike, car, van etc....

Driving through London yesterday I noticed most bikes appeared to have fog/main beam on 11am which was f*cking annoying and made them highly noticeable. (guess thats the point)
    Volvo V50 D5 R-Design

is a retronaut

Status
    I read this
    " Permanently switched on lights on cars can reduce daytime road traffic accidents. A meta-analysis of 17 observational studies of the effect of daytime running lights found that there were 10-15% less multi party daytime crashes in cars with the lights switched on."
    Yeah but what I'm saying is it's impossible the put a figure on it. You just can't measure it because you can't realistically state whether light had an affect on the way you drive.

Bikes have head lights on as they're so easily over looked. If everyone has their headlights on then the advantage bikers have by standing out will vanish and people will be more blind to them.

DRL's are not just headlights turned on for a reason. I've no issues with the Audi DRLs as you wouldn't mistake a bike for one. Headlights on all day are another thing entirely.

Hopefully this post raises some awareness to this issue for those who weren't aware of it.

Cheers
    Ridiculous. Lights make everyone more visible, it doesn't make a bike LESS visible!
    8P2 S3

Works 60% the time, Everytime.

Status

Cheers
    Nonsense. Lights make people aware that there is a vehicle there. Whether its a car or a bike.

Do you think people will act differently if everyone has lights on? Because they cant differentiate between bikes and cars? People will just pull out of junctions because they thought it was a car and not a bike?

Its only going to be an issue if bikers are driving innapropriately. Oh but sorry I forgot thats normal motorists problem isnt it. To be aware at all times of bikers stupid behaviour.

2003 Audi S3 + Go faster bits

6th Gear

Status
    Anybody notice watching Top Gear last night that Hammond didn't have his lights on whilst dressed in black riding a black bike on a dull day and pissing with rain on the dual carriageway...what a bell piece...
    revo'd

Status

My Social Networking

Yeah I noticed that too

Yeee-haw
    Jason's Pong Champion

Status
    And the really weird bit was with the bike in the studio it had the light on!

Brown passenger seat.

Status
    I drive with my lights on all the time, Its the first thing i do when i get in the car. Mainly because i make sure my lights are always switched on when im on my bike.

The One And Only Brown Bora

Current: 2007 S3, Solar Orange - Revo Stage1 + all the toys
    Sold: 2000 S3, Black
    Sold: 2003 BAM Nogaro Blue S3, Revo Stage2, 19" Rial Daytona's, AP Coilovers
    Sold: 2001 A3 1.8T
    Sold: 2002 A3 1.8T, Custurd Code, BBS CH, AP Coilovers
    Sold: 1999 A3 1.6, Jewish Racing Gold, S4 Wheels

Xbox live ID: o_HODGE_o
    PS3 live ID: Hodge_09

Youre Dethpicable!!

Status
    On a bike I could understand why you'd want to have your lights on, BUT not on a car, I really hate it when its sunny outside and people have they're xenons on, my brother does this all the time and we always argue lol. I guess its just down to personal taste, but for me I HATE PEOPLE who do it
    2002 S3 BAM | Jabba Re-Map | Uprated Haldex | Koni adjustable coilovers | Neuspeed ARBs | Powerflex Bushes | ECS tie-bars | Dog bone | Eibach spacers | TTDA | T'Dynamics DV | Dieselgeek short shift | Toyos | MIJ Custom Exhaust | Sound system | Security Tints |

Audi S3-BAM

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MintyS3 View Post
    Nonsense. Lights make people aware that there is a vehicle there. Whether its a car or a bike.

Do you think people will act differently if everyone has lights on? Because they cant differentiate between bikes and cars? People will just pull out of junctions because they thought it was a car and not a bike?

Its only going to be an issue if bikers are driving innapropriately. Oh but sorry I forgot thats normal motorists problem isnt it. To be aware at all times of bikers stupid behaviour.
    Sounds like an instant response rather than a considered opinion

Seems there's some people with chips on their shoulders about bikes and making some wild generalisations.

For what it's worth I never ride with main beam on. It blinds other people but as importantly, you can't actually judge distance from a light and the mainbeam hides the bike which then increases the risk of someone thinking you're further away or travelling slower than you are.

With regards all the "ridiculous", "nonsense" comments about bikes being lost amongt car's headlights, can you link to your research as there's countless amounts showing this to be a risk? It's one of the reasons why DRLs are not just headlights turned on.

p.s. I agree Hamster was a total plank!

p.p.s. Are the haters also the people who sit in traffic jams everyday?

MY2010 B8 A4 Avant 2.0TFSI quattro S-line Executive
    Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    Gone : B6 S4 (AMD stage 3), TT (APR), Golf GTi, CBR600F

S3 Drift King!

Status

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast