Petrol price = Diesel price

Igdos

Reaction score
Went past a BP in Edinburgh today:

UNLEADED = 102.9

DIESEL = 102.9

I can't remember the last time this was the case, certainly talking years!

Means diesel is making even more sense for the moment.

Thoughts on this?

Does anyone know why?

the more the economy recovers the more petrol will go up it said on the news its just effin greed i hate it .....

I'm not being funny, but you weren't looking at the price of superunleaded by mistake?

I'm not being funny, but you weren't looking at the price of superunleaded by mistake?

No it was definitely unleaded & diesel (only two prices advertised on their board)....had been noticing gap between unleaded & petrol closing up for a while now.

The gap will open up again as it gets towards winter.

No closing of the gap round here, I've been paying 1.03 for diesel for ages. I've also been paying over a £1 a litre for at least a year.
Petrols 97.9 iirc.

I paid 104.9 yesterday for V Power at the local Shell, which is normally one of the cheapest stations by me!!!

Im getting really peed off with it again, why cant they just keep the price of petrol down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its the same price for petrol and diesel around here.

When I filled up the other week there was a few pence difference but as I've been driving past garages over the last couple of days its now level.

I wont have to go back to refill for about another week or so yet at least, maybe petrol will cost more by then ;) :beerchug:

I was in Rome a couple of weeks ago....Unleaded was around 1 euro for a litre - diesel was 10 cents cheaper.....someone in the UK is coining it ! WHY is diesel more expensive than unleaded in the UK than in countries like Italy where diesel is cheaper !

I was in Rome a couple of weeks ago....Unleaded was around 1 euro for a litre - diesel was 10 cents cheaper.....someone in the UK is coining it ! WHY is diesel more expensive than unleaded in the UK than in countries like Italy where diesel is cheaper !

I'm going to suprise you here TAX ,the robbing scumbag government taxes diesel more than our european cousins.

Yeah I remember a thread come time back the same, but its been quietly creeping up for ages man, its a complete fecking rip of considering oil isnt anywhere near as high as was back then either, I can see it becoming 130 again, just a joke, need to think about an audi MTB now & mods for that, lol, ****** bmw do a MTB.

The UK Govenment love taxing a product that is popular. Diesel is cheaper to produce that Petrol as its a by-product. But just wait till Auto-Gas becomes more popular, then you will see the tax go up on that.

It's crazy that you can get pink Diesel for next to nothing, and it soes the same thing. I was stopped two times last year when i was comming back from France, as they thorght loads of UK drivers were filling up over there with the stuff.

The UK Govenment love taxing a product that is popular. Diesel is cheaper to produce that Petrol as its a by-product. But just wait till Auto-Gas becomes more popular, then you will see the tax go up on that.

Not quite on the costs, you get less diesel from every barrel of oil than you do petrol, depending on the refinery set up, and there have hardly been many new refineries built recently. There was a huge surge in diesel demand that outstripped supply over the past few years, but the economy falling away has seen commercial use (haulage etc.) dropping away. With diesel demand falling, the wholesale cost (before tax) is falling.

This is being offset by the cost of oil rising. The spot market for oil is now $68/bbl for Brent, with future deliveries over $70. It got down to $37/bbl in December last year. The fluctuation in the exchange rate isn't helping things either, it's currently $1.6/£1 ish.

The majority of oil is traded weeks in advance, not bought on the stock market, so you can be paying "older" (i.e. lower) prices for that oil than the current spot price. I usually means there is a lag in the prices, and they will keep picking up even when the oil price stabilises.

I noticed for the first time today the prices are evening up here too, petrol and diesel both 101.9 ppl.

I put £64 worth of fuel in the S3 on saturday.....It was pleasent.

Vpower is back to 109.9 in London... was enjoying it being cheaper...but it wasn't to last.

Paid 107.9 yesterday for V Power, to be honest, i dont even look now, if the car needs filling, you cant do anything about it, they have us by our danglies and thats the bottom line.

I wish there was something that could be done or someone could do something to change this fact, but unfortunately, in the words of Run DMC - "Thats jus the way it is!!!"