This sounds fishy?

chuffer

Reaction score
Trying to sell my girlfriends car and got sent this email (a 1996 corsa sport)

Hello,
I so much love your advert,and i hope its condition is still great,as expected.Pls,send pics if available.
I'll make payment with a UK cashier's cheque, I'm from Norway,I'm a Building contractor and right now i'm in USA for a Business trip for just 3 weeks. Really,I just contacted my partner in the Europe who's owing me
£7,500,I told him about my purchase in your advert and he's agreed to send the cheque to you in your name,on my behalf.
You'll clear the cheque into your account (usually 3 days),and deduct £2,600 as your payment,I've added an extra funds for your efforts in selling it to me.
You'll now send the balance to my shipper in Belgium,via western union,and my shipper shall quickly arrange for the shipping at your location,and then he'll ship it to me.
I'll surely send you my shiper's address,for you to send him the balance via western union.

Pls,send your datas......for recieving the cheque.
NAME...ADDRESS....PHONE NUMBERS....

I'll want you to recieve the cheque next week via fedex.
Pls reply today,
terry.....

It is me or does this look fishy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
James A3 said:
Trying to sell my girlfriends car and got sent this email (a 1996 corsa sport)

Hello,
I so much love your advert,and i hope its condition is still great,as expected.Pls,send pics if available.
I'll make payment with a UK cashier's cheque, I'm from Norway,I'm a Building contractor and right now i'm in USA for a Business trip for just 3 weeks. Really,I just contacted my partner in the Europe who's owing me
£7,500,I told him about my purchase in your advert and he's agreed to send the cheque to you in your name,on my behalf.
You'll clear the cheque into your account (usually 3 days),and deduct £2,600 as your payment,I've added an extra funds for your efforts in selling it to me.
You'll now send the balance to my shipper in Belgium,via western union,and my shipper shall quickly arrange for the shipping at your location,and then he'll ship it to me.
I'll surely send you my shiper's address,for you to send him the balance via western union.

Pls,send your datas......for recieving the cheque.
NAME...ADDRESS....PHONE NUMBERS....

I'll want you to recieve the cheque next week via fedex.
Pls reply today,
terry.....

It is me or does this look fishy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would some bloke from Norway want to buy a Corsa from UK? Does sound a bit odd!

Rich

I got about 5 of these e-mails from people in various countries when trying to sell a previous car about a year ago. Basically they are trying to use your bank account to launder money or some other scam. DO NOT send him any details. I got hacked off in the end and sent them mail back questioning their reasons, to which they could not give me a decent reply.
Just delete the mail and forget about it.
Good luck with the sale though!!

James, file it in the bin mate. Another forum that I use has been having a similar sort of problem for months. You put something on the market place, then you recieve numerous replies from Nigerean Princes, African Warlords all of which have a stash of cash somewhere, yeah ok mate and i'm Elvis.

You should be able to spot the dodgy ones a mile off as they will say things like 'I really like that item you have for sale', who says that?! And 'I wish you and your family much luck', excuse me?!

Have a look at www.419eater.com, its a website that shows the 'scammers' getting scammed!

Just what I thought.
I liked the start "I so much love your advert" what that all about?

Why don't people like that just /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/[censored].gifoff