Badger5EM Tuning
    My BM is fixed!

Status

BOSIET - Anyone here done it?

A friend of mine works for an oil co and suggested an industry move, so I am now looking at the possibility of working in comms offshore.

Anyone done a BOSIET course, if so where, how much was it and what was it like?

Basically any info welcome.
    Chris

The problem with common sense, is that its not that common.

See my images @
    http://www.christianfrench.co.uk

Own a dreaded BMW? http://www.bmw-sport.net

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Yes, I've done it.

I work for the petroleum division of the worlds largest natural resources company, and they paid for it, so I'm afraid I don't know how much it was.

I did it at the Fleetwood Nautical College, which is one of the very best facilities in the UK.

If you want to work offshore, it is vital that you have a valid medical certificate and also your offshore survival certificate.

hud at ye bam

Status
    Quite a lot of us on here have worked offshore at some point, many still do.

The basic offshore suvival course is a breeze these days - only a couple of dunks in the HUET, a little firefighting, and some first aid. There's a few places in Englandshire; Gt Yarmouth, Blackpool and Newcastle. Cost is about 650 for the course, and you'll also need a UKOAA medical before you can go offshore.
    [/sarcasm]

Yeee-haw
    Jason's Pong Champion

Status
    There are plenty of places to do it in Aberdeen area (obviously). See if you can tie it in with visits to companies/interviews?

Offshore Europe is on this year in September. It's every 2 years and some of the companies are there, although it is focussed on tooling.

You may want to try petrofac. They provide a lot of people to companies, and are pretty big. If you got a role with them, they would pay for the medical and offshore survival (I'm guessing).

I can't imagine that most big companies would want you to pay for this yourself, it's part of the certification required. And a comms role is unlikely to be provided by a small company IMHO.

is a retronaut

Status
    Englandshire! lol Not heard that before. And I have worked with some pretty angry sweaty socks before!
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.