BOSIET - Anyone here done it?

Caesium

My BM is fixed!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
A friend of mine works for an oil co and suggested an industry move, so I am now looking at the possibility of working in comms offshore.

Anyone done a BOSIET course, if so where, how much was it and what was it like?

Basically any info welcome.

Yes, I've done it.

I work for the petroleum division of the worlds largest natural resources company, and they paid for it, so I'm afraid I don't know how much it was.

I did it at the Fleetwood Nautical College, which is one of the very best facilities in the UK.

If you want to work offshore, it is vital that you have a valid medical certificate and also your offshore survival certificate.

Quite a lot of us on here have worked offshore at some point, many still do.

The basic offshore suvival course is a breeze these days - only a couple of dunks in the HUET, a little firefighting, and some first aid. There's a few places in Englandshire; Gt Yarmouth, Blackpool and Newcastle. Cost is about £650 for the course, and you'll also need a UKOAA medical before you can go offshore.

There are plenty of places to do it in Aberdeen area (obviously). See if you can tie it in with visits to companies/interviews?

Offshore Europe is on this year in September. It's every 2 years and some of the companies are there, although it is focussed on tooling.

You may want to try petrofac. They provide a lot of people to companies, and are pretty big. If you got a role with them, they would pay for the medical and offshore survival (I'm guessing).

I can't imagine that most big companies would want you to pay for this yourself, it's part of the certification required. And a comms role is unlikely to be provided by a small company IMHO.

Englandshire! lol Not heard that before. And I have worked with some pretty angry sweaty socks before!