Amsterdam, Anyone been??

wibble111

needs to scratch the itch
Reaction score
Evening all, me and the missus are off to Amsterdam on monday for 3 days for her 30th birthday. Has anyone got any recommendations as to what to see places to go etc.

Cheers, Dave.

e2a, she wants to do Anne franks house and the van gogh museum.

My wife and I went about 5 years ago, it's an interesting place.

Anne Franks house is worth a trip, get there early though! Also definitely do a river boat trip around the canals and under the bridges for a different perspective on the city. Some of the markets are very interesting too. We also went a few miles out of town by train to the bulb fields to see all the tulips etc which was impressive. Above all just chill out in the many coffee shops and watch the world go by. If you have a beer be prepared for a huge head on it, its Amsterdam style apparently!

I will have a browse through the pics tomorrow and see what else I can remember that we did!

Have fun! :hi:

ya don't miss the anne franks house and the s*x museum was funny, my mrs didn't mind.

Canal trip without a doubt. Look for the town squares / plazas, there is always usually something going on from jugglers to street dancers and its free. The Rembrant museum is worth doing if its raining. Diamond museums are facinating. Anne Franks gaff, yep. Redlight district, go for the pure surreal facination of the place but don't take photos of the girls, its a serious no-no, and don't go there at night.

Street Dancers
random162.jpg

Red Light district (we were waiting for a mate who hadn't got laid in 7 years to emerge,we had a whip round, what are friends for?;))
random174.jpg

I went a month ago with my now ex Mrs (the trip didnt break us up ;) )

Not interested in Art so didnt do any of the museums, wasnt interested in seeing a room in a house either.

We went on the canal boat trip, sex museum and walks around the city. Recommend this restaurant, expensive but worth it

http://www.indewaag.nl/?English

He came out to raptuous applause, everyone in the street turned round so he took a bow.

Definately an eye opener... Strange though, I can't seem to remember much of it :)... Hhmmm...I seem to remember going into the grass hopper but not much after that...lol

haha i'll second that. walked round maddame toussades (or whatever its called) after fungi influence as well which was lots of fun...

Is the Banana Bar still open? A fabulous place where every table has a ping pong bat and wonderful buxom ladies do tricks with ping pong balls.... :)

If they're still going, Hill Street Blues is great for cakes. Route 66 has a coulpe of pool tables, and there was somewhere on a 'hazy' route between the two which had we'll say, a really nice menu, and a really quiet (and cheap) pool table. For some reason I've got a vision of american decor and either logs or wood cladding. It's been a while...

I've only been back a couple of times since, but they were both business trips to the International Broadcast Convention - strangely enough I still managed to return with some random stories though :)

I fancy a visit there again after reading this thread...

Regards,

Rob.

There is an American steak house which, I have to say, did the best steak i've ever had. Think it was called the Porthouse or Portahouse? highly recommended. Excuse the pun.