Can you talk and drive?

MikeSel^

Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mikesel.info
The UK's Department of Transport has launched a free game that demonstrates how hard it is to listen while driving, addressing the fact that 30 per cent of young drivers admit sending text messages from behind the wheel.
The game, and statistics, come as part of the DoT's THINK! campaign, which is particularly aimed at young drivers, despite the fact that 12 per cent of all UK drivers admit to composing T9 missives when they should have been watching the road.

The game isn't focused on text messages, but instead challenges the player to listen to a woman's voice and press the space-bar whenever a question is asked, while keeping an eye on pedestrians wearing colour-coded T-Shirts. Harder than it looks, and made us glad that we've never been tempted to listen to questions while counting T-shirts.

I counted the T-Shirts, but I failed to answer 8 questions.. An I didnt see the unusual item... Whoops

made us glad that we've never been tempted to listen to questions while counting T-shirts.

I hope I never get stuck in that situation! lol

I counted the points ok but missed 8 questions.

My dad and I discuss this all the time. I use my handsfree when driving and I know my driving is impaired, BUT when I'm navigating something that requires extra attention the person on the other end will find that I've gone quiet while I concentrate.

Others don't even seem to be able to stay within their lane when they're on the phone. It surprises me that they don't realise themselves that they're driving dangerously!

BUT when I'm navigating something that requires extra attention the person on the other end will find that I've gone quiet while I concentrate.

Exactly! You'll know the priority. I missed 1 question and was 3 points out in that test but if you ask me its got nothing to do with what happens in real life! You're not playing imaginary games whilst on the phone. If you are, then you deserve to wrap it round a tree. You'll be on the phone and realise that people are there. Its all you need to know so you don't run them over. Not taking into account what t-shirt they have on! I think drink driving is something they need to focus on more which is why they need to do what they have in Germany.

Coss

Missed eight questions and out on the t-shirt count - but I did spot the bunny man!

I think drink driving is something they need to focus on more which is why they need to do what they have in Germany.

The game is driving the wrong way up a motorway - tough call when sober as well I would have thought, let alone after six pints and taking a slash!
Nice idea though....:beerchug:

Not had time to play the game yet, but as an experienced driver(Call it 10 years+), driving these days require a higher concentration than ever before due to the amount of traffic on the road increasing since the day I past my test, and the amount of morons/oap's out there who don't have the basic driving skills to navigate roundabouts properly without taking the racing line!

well that was easy, but id never be seen dead in that car or have my phone there lol

wanted to run the rabbit down but it wont let you

The game is driving the wrong way up a motorway - tough call when sober as well I would have thought, let alone after six pints and taking a slash!
Nice idea though....:beerchug:

Well its not practical but I just wanna have fun whilst going for a ****! lol The guys would spend most of their time in the toilets! Beats staring at a wall or poster anyway :yes:

the woman was asking questions? LOL Sorry I couldnt even tell you what she was talking about, I cant be bothered with phones & tend not to listen too much, I just occaionally say yes or no and continue what i was doing LOL.

Personally I don't think mobile phones, handheld or hand-free go with driving a car. One or the other, not both together. Whenever my mobile is in the car it is switched off and stays that way. No phone call is that important.

But doesn't talking on a mobile handsfree take the same concentration as talking to a person in the passenger seat. Actually if you are talking to the passenger you are more likely to look at them if your asking a question or chatting.

But doesn't talking on a mobile handsfree take the same concentration as talking to a person in the passenger seat. Actually if you are talking to the passenger you are more likely to look at them if your asking a question or chatting.

I think that on that point the difference there is that the passenger is aware of exactly what the driver is doing, and as such can keep quiet, or at least take into account the fact the driver is distracted, whereas the caller on the phone would be blissfully unaware.

I agree with the earlier post by Staz, I am aware that I am distracted on the phone, but also tend to go quiet and prioritise the driving over the conversation. You see lots of drivers who only seem capable of prioritising the phone call though.

I'm not saying I disagree, I know we all get distracted, but I just think that there are worse things that distract. I reported someone that I was following a few months back who was having a text conversation and was all over the road. We followed him for quite a few miles and he spent the whole time texting!
Also how many lorry/car drivers do we see that are almost asleep at the wheel?

I just think that there are worse things that distract.

I agree. There's loads of arguments going about talking. The way I see it, texting is a no no because your eyes are off the road. Talking on the phone in the middle of town with roundabouts is also a silly idea if you have a manual. I don't see a problem if you're in an auto. The whole argument of you need both hands on the wheel is a load of tosh IMO. There's loads of people out there with just 1 arm and can drive around perfectly fine! Speaking on hands free is just like talking to a passeneger so I see no problem at all with that. The worst has to be screaming kids in the back. The amount of times I see a driver infront of me turn their head and talk to whoever is in the back is worrying.