Anyone here keep fish?

Caesium

My BM is fixed!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Just interested if anyone else here keeps fish as I do.

I have a koi pond and also a huge cichlid tropical aquarium.

lol I have a small bowl in my kitchen with 2 gold fish in...

Yup I have 6 blind cave fish, 3 angels, some neon tetras, dwarf plec and three apple snails

3 feet tank, natural plants, Eheim ext filter.

6 Goldfish

a catfish

a sucker fish

a sucker/catfish hybrid...lol

I have a Dora the Explorer tank, with 2 Gold Fish, a Spongbob square pants and a Plastic plant.

But...

I did have a full tropical set up in our other house, but since the move and subsequent ongoing building site the fish wouldnt have survived this so they had to go.

I do intend to rekindle this though and would love a set up full of cichlids or maybe even go down the marine route.

They had a 20' set up full of cichlids at a place I used to work years ago and they were awesome to watch. Terratorial and really mean mo'fo's when they were challenged by others.

By the way guys - this thread is useless without :sign_pics::sign_pics::sign_pics:

We have some koi,plus others

IMG_0071.jpg

I love the Koi, great colours.

I'll get pics later of my new setup, I'm currently changing the substrate from black quartz gravel to white sand. If you saw the size of my tank you'd gasp, its quite an undertaking.

I'll get pics later of my new setup, I'm currently changing the substrate from black quartz gravel to white sand. If you saw the size of my tank you'd gasp, its quite an undertaking.

Good stuff that man - Although it'll probably only end up costing me money :drool::icon_thumright:

Loving the tank you have there Chris, I've got a fish tank slightly smaller than the one above, but I'm no longer in the UK so I dunno if my little bro is looking after them or not :(. I will be seeing them in a few weeks to give them a much needed clean out. I'm not sure how many fish I have left, hell I don't even know what type I've got :p. Also what type of fish do you keep in there? Fresh water or salt?

They were tropical community fish (freshwater) when it was planted, now its sand and stones with cichlids. Will get some new piccys soon.

Not me, but I'm interested in them.

I'd love to hear how hard or easy they are to live with day to day.

Ive heard they are difficult to keep the water correct etc?

Not me, but I'm interested in them.

I'd love to hear how hard or easy they are to live with day to day.

Ive heard they are difficult to keep the water correct etc?

Yea more equipment required, setup and running costs are higher, and the fish are more expensive, plus you might also want to spend money on corals.

Ive had mine set up for just over a month now and Ive spent over £2000 so far, worth every penny though.

Have a look at the forum on www.ultimatereef.net/forums - lots of guides to getting yourself set up

From what I understand you can get a nano setup quite cheaply, and if you use live rock you don't need a filtration system, just a wave pump.

I have a tropical setup

5 clown loaches
4 angel fish
1 red tail shark
1 flying fox
l royal plankton pleco

I have been keeping them since 2000.
A full 9 years and had most of my clown loach from back then.

I used to keep Victoria lake cichlids, then kept a marine aquarium for a few years, but a house move forced me to close it down :(

Nice tank Chris. I also keep cichlids but my tank is a mere 4ft.

here is a pic...

ib.php

Mate they look beautiful. How do you keep the water so clean with that amount of bogwood in there, when I had bogwood my water looked like tea (minus the milk of course)

Mate they look beautiful. How do you keep the water so clean with that amount of bogwood in there, when I had bogwood my water looked like tea (minus the milk of course)

Im guessing copious amounts of carbon in the sump/filter :)

My favourite saying was when i kept fish was that "I keep water, the rest follows"

As in: If the water quality is perfect, then everything else will live happily.

I had a Trigon 350 setup with a custom wier/sump. Really nice, i miss it :(

Gonna try and find some pics.... Do forum posts go back 6 years??

I think they go back a fair way, I can't take a picture of my whole tank from straight-on as I can't get back from it far enough to get it all in. There is a wall in the way.

Damn, Posts exist, but unfortunately all the pictures are now gone :(

Back in the day you would just use imageshack to upload pics, there wasnt photbucket back then :( GUTTED!!

lol... at the start that was the case... now the tank seems to pretty much look after itself. the last water change was about three weeks ago.

and there is some carbon in the filter... but not as much as you may think.

I am thinking to get a corner tank so that I can move it into the living room. it's in the kitchen at the moment so does not get much attention.

Anyone selling a corner tank?

Nope, but the Jewel Trigon is NOICE!!!

I managed to find some pics anyway. Hope you like:

post-922-1135023911.jpg

post-922-1134936345.jpg

post-13-1083351019.jpg

post-922-1147541125.jpg

My mate use to have a great marine tank .. loads of nice fish my favorite was his lion fish but he got rid of it after it started growing, and day by day a fish would disappear ...lovely fish id just love an 15 foot dobber of a tank with 3 of them in

I had loads of fish in there. I had to break it down when I dumped my ex and moved out. BI*CH!!!!

I will set up again one day. probably fit it behind a false wall or somthing.

Anyway, can you spot Seymore the seahorse in the last pic? LoL

Marine tanks are far easier to look after, I never knew that plants were so frigging hard to keep.

You must have co2 in there, I found a really good supplier near me, 14 quid for 3.15kg of gas.