Just Plain Old

Reaction score
Were we robbed ......... ?

I,m not a big football fan but, what drama, what farce, what a shame ........ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

What happened?
I'm in the States and we get no news of soccer (football) until its two days old.

England lost but had a goal unfairly ruled out that would have won the game for us. We were pretty poor though. David Beckham should have at least hit the target with his penalty - for a player of his calibre to miss completely is unacceptable.

Unfairly ruled out??? Don't make me laugh... what do you guys south of the border call standing in the way of the keeper (Terry) while your team mate heads a ball into the goal (Campbell)... us guys (north of the border) call it obstruction... so do the Swiss obviously!

England deserved everything they got... they scored early and sat back for the rest of the game... you can't do that in competetive football. It was all Portugal last night.

Did you notice that they played the disallowed goal over and over again, but they never replayed the incident where Portugal got the ball was over the line and then it was kicked out!

I was p!ssing myself laughing at half time of the England v France game... Des Lyhnam (commentator) said something like "that us on our way to the final where we'll probably meet France"... total arrogance, they still had 225 minutes of football to play! How much was I creasing myself when Zidane hit the target with his free kick, then Henry got a penalty! Beauty! Us Scots couldn't have written a better script.

You would find a lot more Scottish, Welsh and Irish people supporting England if the media and the fans weren't so arrogant, thinking they will win every tournament they enter. And the constant bias commentary and constant reminder of 1966... ok so you won the world cup back in 1966 (dubious goal then as well by the way!) it was 38 years ago... let it rest.

And before anyone says at least England was there, Scotland wasn't - that's right Scotland wasn't there, we have a sh!t national team but we admit it! But we still have thousands of loyal fans! And do you ever see any trouble with Scottish fans fighting or rioting? No you don't!

In my opinion, football violence is inexcusable. England should have been thrown out of the competition in the first week for the fighting/riots in the Algarve!

Dont worry mate, Scotland will always win Toss the Haggis...because there is only you lot in it!

Imola, you clearly aren't old enough to remember the name the Scottish fans earned for themselves rioting in the 70's.
You are right about the match last night though - England were beaten by what was clearly the better team on the night.

Remember...it's just a game.

Si.

[ QUOTE ]
4SilverRings said:
and at least it might put an end to these ****** flags on cars!)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I ****** hope so! How seriously un-tasteful can you possibly get!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif

I think the goal should have been allowed (and I am French so cant say I am biaised because of my nationality) but the referee did what every other referee (whatever his nationality) would have done nowadays: ie disallow a goal when in doubt
I agree that the coverage in the UK is bad when it is about England but then again it is the same in other countries with their national team.
Right I should not say too much as it could be our turn tonight to go out seeing the way we play...

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
How seriously un-tasteful can you possibly get!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. It's almost as untasteful as putting vinyl stickers on the side of your car... Fast and The Furious styleeee! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Imola S3 said:
[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
How seriously un-tasteful can you possibly get!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. It's almost as untasteful as putting vinyl stickers on the side of your car... Fast and The Furious styleeee! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

Howeever, they DO serve a perfectly valid purpose!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

You mean like advertising post whore stylee /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
r88per said:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

You mean like advertising post whore stylee /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Ha ha... you got it mate!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[ QUOTE ]
r88per said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Spot on! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

“URGENT DVLA MESSAGE

In order to assist other motorist in identifying dangerous drivers, it is now compulsory for anyone with a lower than average IQ and driving ability to display a warning flag. The flag (comprising of a red cross on a white background) will be attached to the top of at least one door of their vehicle. For Drivers of exceptionally low ability, additional flags are required”

Replacing ‘IQ’ with ‘penis size’ and ‘flags’ for vinyl stickers’ pretty much sums it up!!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
4SilverRings said:
and at least it might put an end to these ****** flags on cars!)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I ****** hope so! How seriously un-tasteful can you possibly get!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's nice to see a 'wave' of patriotism. However I prefer a more, discreet, union flag in the windscreen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Re coverage of the match, I'd just like to point out that it was in fact the Portugese who had control of what replays/footage we saw, not the english. So there was no bias there.

Yeah Beckhams penalty was sh*t, but it should never have gone to penalties, we were robbed!

Come on folks...let Grant have his say...
It's not very ofter a member such a xenophobic care in the community programme gets to use the internet.

There, There Grant...you laugh it up boy...

You must be on the way to recovery...at least you accept the fact that your national team is dire...like the pathetic loyal jock you have recently displayed that you are.

You show yourself to be a member of a well balanced race...one with not only a chip on their shoulder fron living in the shaddow of an obviously superior nation...but a member of a race with a ****** big chip on BOTH shoulders!

I'm pleased that the best thing to can do is laugh at the fact that England are out of the last 8. Unlike Spain, Germany and Italy, England made it to the last 8.
Unlike Scotland...who yet again displayed a penchant for giving up before the touranment had begun.

England were beaten by the better team...fair play to 'em.
I wish young Ronldo (a shining star) all the best for the rest of the touranment...I hope they go on to win it.

Grant, you carry on laughing matey...
Rest assured, we'll be laughing longer and harder at your attitude!

You only need the C U Jimmy wig and can of Irn Bru to prove all of the stereotype to be true.
Oh how sad...

[ QUOTE ]
Imola S3 said:
Unfairly ruled out??? Don't make me laugh... what do you guys south of the border call standing in the way of the keeper (Terry) while your team mate heads a ball into the goal (Campbell)... us guys (north of the border) call it obstruction... so do the Swiss obviously!

England deserved everything they got... they scored early and sat back for the rest of the game... you can't do that in competetive football. It was all Portugal last night.

Did you notice that they played the disallowed goal over and over again, but they never replayed the incident where Portugal got the ball was over the line and then it was kicked out!

I was p!ssing myself laughing at half time of the England v France game... Des Lyhnam (commentator) said something like "that us on our way to the final where we'll probably meet France"... total arrogance, they still had 225 minutes of football to play! How much was I creasing myself when Zidane hit the target with his free kick, then Henry got a penalty! Beauty! Us Scots couldn't have written a better script.

You would find a lot more Scottish, Welsh and Irish people supporting England if the media and the fans weren't so arrogant, thinking they will win every tournament they enter. And the constant bias commentary and constant reminder of 1966... ok so you won the world cup back in 1966 (dubious goal then as well by the way!) it was 38 years ago... let it rest.

[/ QUOTE ]

I M O L A - ******* O F F !

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
[ QUOTE ]
leespears1 said:

I M O L A - ******* O F F !

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that's another way of saying it...
Subtle, but to the point.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Imola S3 said:

And before anyone says at least England was there, Scotland wasn't - that's right Scotland wasn't there, we have a sh!t national team but we admit it! But we still have thousands of loyal fans! And do you ever see any trouble with Scottish fans fighting or rioting? No you don't! In my opinion, football violence is inexcusable. England should have been thrown out of the competition in the first week for the fighting/riots in the Algarve!

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of order!!!

When you sit back some day and think about what you have just said you will agree you are a total 'WeighAnchor' ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

Get back in your cage ...

Its not so bad, at least we didnt lose to Greece easily like France did /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

I'm sure I'd posted a reply, must have hit the wrong buton. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Can't be ***** now ............... to late..

Wo ist der vanker in der schwartz?
Here's his web site so feel free to vent your constructive criticism.

http://www.ursmeier.ch/referee/

I am absolutely sick to the back teeth of referees deciding the fate of more & more crucial games.
When the f*ck are UEFA & the FA etc gonna get a 3rd official in the commentary box to rule on such decisive moments. The ref should be there to enforce the ruling, he can in no way make on the spot decisions regarding aspects of the game he cannot possibly see from the ground.
The new offside rule is an absolute joke and just hands more power & influence to the tw*t in the black to make a name for himself. Ref's should be invisible and hardly mentioned in the game. In no other sport does the ref have such a massive influence.
Imola S3, just a small point, the score was 4-2 in 1966, so the relevance of whether the ball was over the line is what exactly? Can you get an adult to supervise you when you are trying to put together a cohesive argument?
And I think you'll find the average England supporter is big enough to support Scotland & Ireland when England aren't involved (not Wales though).
Sven played the wrong side, they were knackered. How can he keep Dyer & Cole on the bench when Beckham & Scholes were so poor. When will we learn that 1-0 is not enough at any time in a match, let alone 3 minutes in. Having said that I thought Portugal's finishing was shockingly bad. How many chances did they have? How many shots on target? I haven't seen one team that has consistently shone in this tournament, it's all been pretty flat really. Certainly is now!

[ QUOTE ]
Imola S3 said:
It all stems from the arrogant and supercilious attitude of the English media and English football fans.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] Grant...it all stems from the defeatist attitude of a xenophobic nation.

A nation who, by large, would rather see England fail than their own 'proud' (joke) nation suceed.
This attitude is bred into you...it's pathetic.

Not qualifying is not important to a Scotsman...so long as the 'Auld Enemy' don't do any good.
The Scots would make good Man City fans...

It must really hurt the Scots that the English have actually won the world cup...and you lot go on about it more than the English do. Old wounds, huh?

The unfortunate thing is that you have upheld a long tradition of whinging Scotsmen who have shown beyond all doubt that the stereotypical image a large percent of the English have (not all, BTW) is so true. That of a pathetic racist, xenophobic and defeatest race.

Sad, but true.

I'm Scottish and I actually agree with both Imola S3 and Ess Three to an extent.

We Scots do have a chip on our shoulders and are a bit defeatist, probably born from being overshadowed by England. We almost look down on people who succeed, hating them instead of admiring what they have achieved.

Up here we do get a strong impression that the English are arrogant. It Phases like "England Expects.." that can cause that. Of course this may be due to us having nothing to be arrogant about ourselves LOL. Other things like referring to up North as Yorkshire dont make us feel like part of the family too.

I dont hate the English, except maybe the Londoners who look down upon anybody North Of Manchester and think that we are all thick because we don't have the same accent.

At the end of the day, all nations have their own stereotypes that portray the worst traits of the nation. For all our faults I am proud to be Scottish and If I ever doubt the worth of a Scotsman, I can go to the Wallace Monument and look at all the inventions we have created and think, well we aren't all bad after all.

[ QUOTE ]
DaveG said:
Since when has a Jock known anything about football?
you only have to look at their [censored] league, two average teams and then a pile of crap underneath, stick to cars lads, at least you may be right some of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

The last time I looked at a map Govan was in Scotland so that makes the greatest footballing brain in the business Scottish Sir Alex not to mention Jock Stein and the multitude of top class managers the Premiership and lower divisions have at the moment.
As for only two teams in Scotland I think you'll find the Premiership the same and maybe if Scottish football got the ludicrous amounts of cash thrown at it as the Premiership gets from Sky, government and dodgy Russians then things would get a bit more interesting.
I also seem to remember one of those so called average teams throwing Blackburn and Liverpool out of European football and going on to be robbed in the final

[ QUOTE ]
Imola S3 said:
[Please tell me what parts and why my post is out of order!

The pics are for a laugh and a giggle, but there is nothing out of order about my first post!

It all stems from the arrogant and supercilious attitude of the English media and English football fans.

[/ QUOTE ]

What parts? ... all of it!
Why? ... the timing!

As for the pics being funny they depend on which side of the fence you sit. You obviously find them funny and I don't.

Now this is funny :

[ QUOTE ]
4SilverRings said:
Perhaps the English should remember the FIRST team to beat England after the 66 World Cup was Scotland in 1967!

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course...and under the Scottish interpretation of the international rules of football, that makes them World Champoins, doesn't it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snore.gif

Who cares who beat England after the event...the fact remains - like it or not - the World Cup was won by England.

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
[ QUOTE ]
4SilverRings said:
Perhaps the English should remember the FIRST team to beat England after the 66 World Cup was Scotland in 1967!

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course...and under the Scottish interpretation of the international rules of football, that makes them World Champoins, doesn't it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snore.gif

Who cares who beat England after the event...the fact remains - like it or not - the World Cup was won by England.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but as we all should know, a hoste nation winning a comp' is no RAEL win!!! Maybe if England won abroad, they'ed get more respect! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

[ QUOTE ]
4SilverRings said:

True, but as we all should know, a hoste nation winning a comp' is no RAEL win!!! Maybe if England won abroad, they'ed get more respect! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No, actually, I don't think they'd get any more respect at all.

Maybe you should tell Portugal that they'll not be classed as real winners should they continue to get results. What a load of old horsefeathers!

Change the record...we've heard it all before... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Stuart_A3_Turbo said:
Its not so bad, at least we didnt lose to Greece easily like France did /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

we f**cking deserved to lose
We were pathetic. I sincerely am ashamed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
if it wasn't for the England captain we should have been at group stage anyway..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
AndyMac said:
Don't think so somehow. At last those jammy French can't rely on one moment of magic in 90 minutes of mediocrity, which is how they won both major trophies. I say "won" but of course we all know they didn't really win them so much as not lose them. All the good teams knocked themselves out (just like Euro2004 at the moment), leaving the French to pick up the spoils by default. Well not this time Henry, Zidane & Co. C'est las vie!

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not too far off the truth I admit, especially in 2000. A tournament does not sanction a good team but the best team of the lot and that is what we've been in 1998 and 2000 and if it [censored] you off well... tough m8!
should be spelt "C'est la vie" BTW