COM port sharing

Drystone

Reaction score
Bit of a boring IT question but can anyone recommend some decent software for sharing a modem on a Windows 2000 server? The client PCs need to see the modem on a virtual COM port. I've tried Tactical Softwares Dialout server product but can't get it to work, their tech support guys seem clueless /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif.

This is for a network version of Natwest Bankline software, why the f*ck they can't come up with a web based version I'll never know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

Cheers,

Christian

Why not just terminal services?

I take it each client needs to be able to access the modem directly?

Jon.

Jon,

Bankline needs to be able to see the modem as if it was on a local COM port.

Christian

I see what you are getting at now, sounds a bit like the ABN Amro bank software but we just run that on one machine with one modem.

How many users do you have using it? What do Nat West recommend for sharing?

Jon.

Jon,

Natwest recommend something called Winpool, this is shareware but it doesn't seem to work either.

We've got about 5 machines that need to run Bankline.

Cheers,

Christian

A longtime ago we used Lansource's Winport software on NT4 with USR Total Control Chassis. Not sure if they're still in business tho'.

Thanks for the advice guys. I've managed to get the tactical software product working, took a lot of p*ssing about though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/****.gif

Anyone would think I was paid to feck about with computers rather than browse Audi-Sport /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Christian