Am I entitled to a P85 form?

lil_coz

Reaction score
Hey guys and girls.

I'm after a little advice please! Basically I now spend a lot of time in Spain working. I get paid by an English company to an English account in Sterling. Within the next couple of months, I'll have that changed to get paid in Euros in my same account. I'm still a UK resident however. Can I use the P85 form because I'm spending less than 91 days a year in the UK? Or will I need to open up an offshore account? Just wondering if I can save some £££ on tax!

Thanks for any info or advice!

Hope you all had a great New Year. Best wishes to all.

Coss

lol. Ok here it goes...

Well as you can imagine life isn't that bad living on a yacht. We're based in Benalmadena which is just south of Malaga. Nice marina, everyone is down to earth, and it a nice place to be. Been to Puerto Banus a few times and didn't like that at all. Its where all the silly rich people go and show off. Everyone there is fake and they don't seem very genuine.

I've made a point of meeting people to try and get contacts for the future. Could come in handy! One of these guys has got a proper speed boat. Think Miami Vice! lol This thing is 30ft long and has twin Supercharged V8's each pushing out 525 bhp. Capable of speeds of 90mph. That was quite fun! We done over 80 but when you have a multiple offshore powerboat champion at the helm then things get quite scary! lol

The boat I'm on is a Ferretti 68 (the number meaning its length in ft). Lovely motor yacht that sleeps 12 (8 guests and 4 crew). Its has 2 M.A.N V12's each producing 1200 bhp. In the right conditions and a clean bottom its good for speeds of 36 knots. Not too shabby for something this size! I've got all the licences I need for it. I loved learning to drive the thing. It suddenly gets quite big when you try mooring up! Out in the open sea, its a piece of ****. You need to know what you are doing when going in and out of ports and when mooring up. A head and tail wind when mooring is ok (although you need to be more careful with a head wind). Its when the side winds come in that things get a bit trickier. But we try not to go out when its windy so its not that bad.

Basically I live on the boat all the time. Its in use about 3 months a year (mainly summer months) and the boss could sometimes have family or guests to come on so that I could take them out on it. As for toys, we've got a 104 bhp Zodiac rib boat and a 130 bhp Sea-Doo jetski. The little jet boat is good fun! Had it do 50 mph when it was pretty flat. The jetski can do 65 mph. They come out when I get bored lol. When there's guests on then I take them out in both. Try and make the kids scream the whole way :). We're getting a new jetski this month. It should be an absolute animal! It will produce 255 bhp and do 0-50 mph in 2.9 seconds!!! :scared2: Its a Sea-Doo RXP-X and as far as I'm aware, its the most powerful production jet-ski. All good fun! Until you die! lol

Its not all games though. When the boss is on, I'm working flat out. Cleaning the boat every day, doing all my checks making sure that the boat is ready to go out whenever he wants to. Basically I've got to look busy all the time. When he's not on, I do the normal maintanence checks and clean the boat about 2 times a week depending on how dirty it gets. When storms blow through, you basically dont sleep. Constantly awake checking the ropes making sure its not going anywhere.

I've just come back from the UK and I've got to start getting the boat ready for the summer season. So that means organising for it to come out of the water to get cleaned/re-painted/polished and having the engines serviced. The boss wants to go to Portugal and Northern Africa this year so should be quite busy. Overall, I'm loving it. What I was looking forward to at the beginning was learning something new and completely different! I'm looking at this as a carreer now and even if it'll just last a couple of years, I'll have no regrets. The experience would have been great!

And that concludes my review! Sorry I went on a bit! lol How was it? Should I turn to journalism?! lol

Cheers, Coss.