Took out a Holden Monaro today...

RichA3Turbo

Reaction score
What a FABULOUS car! Its ****** rapid... get it to 4000rpm and it just flies! 100 somes uo VERy quickly and you seriosly can launch it hard off the line and it just grips and goes! The gear box is lovely...in line with the race-like shift of the S2000.I am seriously impressed. Its gorgeous and really roomy too which is a bonus. Road holding is wikid, and the brakes are good... My only criticism is that the brakes could be better and have a bit more feel but the rest makes up for it. Its nice to be able to get the back end out a bit roun corners /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As for the interior, well... Audi, watch out! Its floorless...to be honest, it felt better than m A3, and also newer audi's that i've been in (man A4's, new(old) A3 and new new A3 included. The rear seats are fantastic and hold the rear pasengers equally well as the front.

As for driver pleasure...My A3 felt dull /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Its a really nice car to drive, and even nice to drive properly!

The salesman wa a cool bloke... not push at all...in fac didnt even try to sell the car to me... it does a good enough job by itself. Hes giving me a call in a couple of weeks when the VXR is available for test driving... 400bhp of pure V8 pleasure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif. I have to say i didnt miss the turbos...N/A has grown on me again...

Have to say, if i was spending £28k on a car, it would be high up on my list. The fact you can easily get it to 600bhp helps too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Oh by the way, it looks like sex on wheels! well sexy coupe.

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:

As for the interior, well... Audi, watch out! Its floorless...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes i have heard of these new generation flintstone cars....very nice too i believe!!
Are your feet aching rich after that test drive???

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

(I think you meant FLAWLESS)!!!

lmfao!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

You git /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Me and my mate love this car, and fell in love with it at the previous motor show where Vauxhall unveiled their plans to bring the car into the UK.

We spent about 50 mins in total drooling over this car last Sunday, and sitting it.

Where did you get a test drive?

[ QUOTE ]
MikeyD-S3nut said:
[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:

As for the interior, well... Audi, watch out! Its floorless...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes i have heard of these new generation flintstone cars....very nice too i believe!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

(I think you meant FLAWLESS)!!!

lmfao!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif Was in a rush! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Markb said:
You git /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Me and my mate love this car, and fell in love with it at the previous motor show where Vauxhall unveiled their plans to bring the car into the UK.

We spent about 50 mins in total drooling over this car last Sunday, and sitting it.

Where did you get a test drive?

[/ QUOTE ]

Crownhill is Milton Keynes... The bloke who is the performance car salesman is a top bloke... He likes you putting your foot down! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Cant wait to drive the VXR. It really is sex on wheels! such a nice looking car.

Rich

ps - first mod i would make is to put holden badges on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
MikeyD-S3nut said:

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they are iching! I want one. Id sell the A3 in a heartbeat if i had a spare £28k!

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:

Crownhill is Milton Keynes... The bloke who is the performance car salesman is a top bloke... He likes you putting your foot down! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Cant wait to drive the VXR. It really is sex on wheels! such a nice looking car.

Rich

ps - first mod i would make is to put holden badges on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes indeedy the VXR is sex on wheels, despite it being a vauxhall... I managed to ride shotgun in Thorney's(AmD) VX220 turbo running 280 bnp I think, what a rapid machine... I want one!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/heart.gif

My friend ordered one so I went to test drive it in April so I could compare it with my smaller block S4 V8. Rather than rehash my thoughts that I posted on another forum, here's a cut 'n paste
[ QUOTE ]
I popped along to Browns this afternoon to have a look over and a feel for the Monaro. Kate came along to and although she didn't come out in the car she did have some input on the car from a passive point of view...

I don't know the actual dimensions but it seems more like M5 size than M3/S4 size. The amount of room in the back was surprising large. It's definately a four seater not 5 due to rear sports seats but there's loads of leg room although, not surprisingly, the head room is a little tight but quite good for a coupe.
The trim and fit out was better than I had expected although not as soft/finshed as a Merc/BWM/Audi interior. Difficult to put your finger on but somehow not quite as refined.
I thought the shape was quite pleasing with a body kit, (sills, front splitter etc) that are not too in your face but do add a bit of presence. Kate said "it justs looks like another Vauxhall".
It comes loaded with autolights, mirrors, reversing sensors, electric seats/mirrors, dual zone climate, variable power assisted steering, etc, etc.
Sitting in the car the seats the view out the front is unobdstructed and you can just see the bonnet dropping away. The dash has had some effort made on it and I like the idea of having a speedo with just digits and the needle recalibrates when you select MPH or KmPH although I wasn't to keen on the illumination showing which mode it was in. The driving position with the seat and wheel was fine but I found the pedals being offset to the right a little strange. I guess something you get used to.

I was driven out to start with and I was surprised/disapointed how quiet it was. The engine and exhaust virtually silent until it was given some stick and then it was more engine noise than exhaust note. Opening the windows helped but I think it was too understated for the type of car this is. When I got back Kate said she was disappointed with the noise. It just doesn't convey what's under the bonnet. An after market one would definately be the first thing I would do.

It was my turn to drive. The first thing I noticed was how highly sprung the clutch and throttle were. I guess this could either be called slightly industrial or sporty. What didn't fit in was the feel of sponge on top of the brake travel before anything happend.

The gear shift was similarly "sporty". I know that had Kate been in it she would have hated it. It was quite heavy and you have to push it into gear as opposed to clicking it in on the S4.
Once on the move I found the engine power delivery quite different to my 4.2. I was noticeably a bigger capacity engine and this came across as a slightly slower spin up although each rpm carries more torque than each one in the Audi. The red line is at 6000 (vs 7000) but the feel was as the cyclinders and pistons were heavier meaning it was not as easy revving.

I didn't have the opportunity to throw the car around so can't comment on the handling and therefore how much fun the car was. Ideally for a car like this you need a reasonable time for the test drive so you can get used to it and then start to explore the limits. I was still very much in the getting used to it stage. The suspension felt fairly well damped leaning slightly towards comfort rather than sports. It felt tidy and well mannered as you'd expect from a modern car.

In summary it was a better car than I expected. It came across as a heavier muscle car compared to the S4 which seemed almost lightweight after jumping back into. I need to take PaulS out in the S4 so he can compare himself.
I guess one is a refined saloon which has been brought up to a performance level and the other is a big brawny hunk of metal that does things in a more industrial manner. The RWD Monaro will surely be the more fun on the limit but as a car for all uses (shopping to tracking) I'll stick with what I've got.

One thing that has to be said is that the Monaro seems to be blinding value. I'm comparing it with a car about 25% more expensive and Vauxhall are suggesting there's nothing below £50k that can compete. There's not a lot that gives so much for this amount of cash. I think I'll go back again when they've got it's bigger brothers in. They haven't converted me (perhaps coz I'm a softy and I like a little more refinement) but I'm sure it's gonna sell out and be a success.
The only question outstanding is what effect will the badge have? It was interesting to note that the VXR versions won't be badged as Vauxhalls!

[/ QUOTE ]

My car's also stage 4 modded so not a straight comparison.

Interestingly he's now got his car and seems to agree with the majority of what I've said.

[ QUOTE ]
scoTTy said:
It was interesting to note that the VXR versions won't be badged as Vauxhalls!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true unfortunately. The VXR is in the showroomand has vauxhall abdges on it. Be it only 2 which would be removed in 2 seconds flat!

I agree with what was said about thr brakes... not ver confidence inspiring. Ive been told the VXR is much better!

I tend to disagree with the interior quality...i felt it was on-par with Audi/VW quality. Felt very solid and didnt make a squeek, rattle .etc even over fairly uneven road surfaces doing well in excess 100mph.

the gearbox, i thought was lovely! it didnt move apart from through the gates. no play in it whatsoever... reminded me of the S2000.

As was said, i reckon a day with tat car on my own would see sopme interesting results...get to know it and its limits properly and i reckon it would be a winner.

Rich

we use these things as taxis!

whats the world coming to?

Yeah interior is good for 6 months then watch all the niceness go away /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

the only good thing is the engine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

What the hell are you guys talking about???

I hate being fromn the states! We never get the serious cars over here. It sux!

Help a yank out fellas.... got any pics you can post??

Please?

here ya go matey

monaro.jpg

245-4526_IMG.jpg

ae_Vauxhall_Monaro_CV8_740_04.jpg

HSV_Coupe_GTS.jpg

Rich

In the US it's a Pontiac but you do get the same car as the Aussie and Brits.

Rich - the comment on the VXR badging was based on what Vauxhall told me but we all know how reliable dealers are! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I still disagree with you over the interior...as does the Monaro owner!

Ohhhhh! It's a Pontiac!!!

Hehehe!

No comment... you guys in the UK wouldn't understand.
Ok... Only thing I can say is that those of us in the U.S. who drive euro cars would never set foot in a Pontiac!

Australia have these. I fell in love with them when i was out there. Have some lovely examples out there with kits on as standard.
Also have some nice pick ups 2. yumm.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif