2.5% reduction on VAT!

On the run-up to xmas we'll start seeing strange prices in the shops - £8.77, then come the new year when everyone has forgotten, they'll get rounded back up to £8.99 and the shop will just trouser the difference.

Not going to help my business one bit, just another bit of b*****it by the government!

"Sale now on with up to 2.5% off!
compelling isn't it?
What the **** is the point? Think of the logistical nightmare for a lot of retailers let alone anything else. They'd be far better off putting 70% tax on unhealthy foods and subsidising healthy ones seeing as obesity is a far bigger threat than smoking.

wow on £1000 thats £25 what a joke you can save more then that shopping around. for a family spending £10,000 thats £250 that wouldn`t even tax the car so means feck all to me

Waste of time as they are giving with one hand and taking more (as usual with the other hand) ie the increase on fuel. The reduction in VAT rate is going to cost compnaies more than it will save in reprinting stationary cost and having systems altered to reflect the new rate !
Personally I try and create a bit of a feel good factor and try to make it look like we have more money in out pockets by, leaving the VAT rate the same, dont mess with the petrol, possibly lose / reduce VAT on heating and then put an increase on things that dont need but make lots of money for the goverment ie cigs and booze !

Richard

How the hell are people without jobs going to buy things to kickstart the economy?

The marxist ******** that have taken control of this Country, have all but destroyed society with uncontrolled mass immigration,,,, and are now in the final throws of bankrupting us all for generations to come.........

Look on the bright side they are making sure all vehicles on the roads will be taxed and driving within the speed limit :friends:

oh he upped duty on fuel and booze lol needs to wear a mask next time hes on tv , oh well we will be a 3rd world country if Labour stay in power.

wonder if this is a plan to stop imigration feck the country so much no one will try and come here lol

Causing us a significant increase in call volume this morning. 41 so far in the 2 hours we have been open. Now that is the usual volume for a busy working day (the whole 8 hours). 90% of them have been on the VAT question.

Our main function here is as a help desk for a Legal Accounts Package.

Thanks d***h**d.

Not thought through at all as far as I can tell.

Sorry but I think we should pull all of our troops back to the UK now, I'd love to know how much of the Governments forcast of 57% of GDP Government debt by 2013/14 that would save.

Paul

Waste of time.....give us a cut on Tax and NI, then maybe WE will have a bit more money to spend on WHAT WE WANT, after all WE earned it!!!

What is the point of cutting a few pence on shopping items, food isnt VATTED anyway, so not going to make much difference to the average 2.4 is it??

Stupid, put the money in our pockets, where it belongs.

i just cant stop thinking to myself if everyone hates labour so much then ya shudnt have voted for them but then it hit me, our other choices arent much better

Total waste of time, cutting VAT on gas and electricity bills would have been more useful.I suspect most retailers will not cut their prices and just use the drop in VAT to increase their meagre margins.

course most retailers will not cut their prices. It will cost the more to do so..
Also were stilll payin the same if not more. are NI is goin up..
Its so s**t out there at the moment

wow on £1000 thats £25 what a joke you can save more then that shopping around. for a family spending £10,000 thats £250 that wouldn`t even tax the car so means feck all to me

You've got the calculations wrong dude, it's 2.5% off VAT, not 2.5% of the actual price, so a saving on £1000(inclusive of vat) is actually £21.28p!

This has goosed my prices for my place I tell you, and you think I'm going to print off a whole load of menu's for this SH1T!? I'll just say to the customers I was going to put the prices up anyways, the Government has done me a favour lol, imagine the thought of saving 3p on a bag of chips or 9p on a Curry with Rice, it's almost embarrassing, but of course it all adds up if you look at it from the whole of UK point of view!

your right jojo , Its such a small amount I just estimated the value. Its actually not as good as I guessed lol my abacuss is sticking

The 2.5% reduction in the VAT rate is not even worthy of discussion......waste of F&^%$(*G time ! As someone above has already stated the reduction should of been on Income Tax or the other Income Tax known as National Insurance.

How are all those people currently in mega debt going to "kick start" the economy buying goods witha lower VAT rating...oh yeah I forgot they will just borrow more like those morons currently masquerading as our government !

It might not mean much to us but it means billions lost to the government coffers, which will need to be replaced somehow.
That's Labour all over, give with one hand, take away with the other.
There is so much spinning, U-turns and backtracks with this government its hard to believe anything they say.

If you look at the price of Crude, its about $55 a barrel, and it WAS about $140 at one point, so if its gone down by nearly 2/3rds, why is the price at the pump still so ******* high? its all a joke.

i just cant stop thinking to myself if everyone hates labour so much then ya shudnt have voted for them but then it hit me, our other choices arent much better

Never did, Never will!!!

Causing us a significant increase in call volume this morning. 41 so far in the 2 hours we have been open. Now that is the usual volume for a busy working day (the whole 8 hours). 90% of them have been on the VAT question.
That was my first thought actually. I wonder how many software packages have the VAT hard-coded (i.e. not easily editable)? The VAT change will screw up many business' invoices this month and the next probably, and people creating invoices on pre-printed stationary with the VAT shown will have full recycling bins very soon too.

Well both our old legacy package and our new SQL based one have the ability to have multiple rates with one set as the default.

The tally in the end was 74 calls logged (email or phone) over the day and I'd say 90% of those were regarding the VAT.

That is the highest number in a single day in the 14 years that we have been trading.

Needless to say Mr Darling isn't popular here.

Paul

You've got the calculations wrong dude, it's 2.5% off VAT, not 2.5% of the actual price, so a saving on £1000(inclusive of vat) is actually £21.28p!

I think you'll find you're wrong mate, as VAT makes up 17.5% of the pound and VAT is going down to 15% which is 15p in the pound so you are saving 2.5% which is 2.5p in the pound. Unless you buy things ex vat that is.

I think you'll find you're wrong mate, as VAT makes up 17.5% of the pound and VAT is going down to 15% which is 15p in the pound so you are saving 2.5% which is 2.5p in the pound. Unless you buy things ex vat that is.

I'm not sure what you are getting at? When you go out and buy most thing off retailers as an example, which is inclusive of VAT, then 17.5% of a pound does not make 17.5p. You are in actual fact paying for an item which is 100% for it's retail price +17.5% VAT, so lets call this 117.5% as most peaople will recognise it as - correct? a 2.5% reduction in VAT is not a 2.5% reduction on the total price, my calculations shows it's 2.218* off the price you are paying inclusive of VAT, how am I incorrect?

Using your example of a pound, it's a 2.2p saving, not 2.5p as you suggest, if vat is already included in your pound.

* = rounded up.

Although the VAT reduction is supposed to balance out the rise in fuel duty, if you are a VAT registered company that buys fuel (eg haulage) you pay more for your fuel, but can claim less back in VAT, so effectively a ~4p per litre rise in fuel costs!

Cheers,

Right folks, just do the maths (sorry its the Systems Engineer in me)

So, assuming my imminent cambelt and waterpump change is to cost £460 at the current rate of VAT of 17.5%

Therefore the cost of the job with NO VAT is

460/117.5*100 = £391.49 (i.e. the VAT at 17.5% equates to £68.51)

With the new VAT rate of 15%

£391.49 * 15/100 = £58.72

So the job will now cost £450.21

saving me around a tenner - hmm, great...but I s'pose better in my pocket than Gordon Browns to p*ss up the wall !

Do the workings out for a £30 pair of jeans you save £0.64 so will that make you decide to buy jeans or not.....err I think not.........LOL.

Instead of p*ssing about with VAT the rate of Income Tax or National Insurance should be been changed !!!!!!!!!

Has anyone reaped the benefits of this 2.5%vat reduction today? I didn't have one single customer ask me for their 9p off their meal today, but one did mention that Maccy D's was 11p off their £4.95meals lol.

complete waste of time, hasnt benefitted anyone tbh, gives in one hand takes in the other, so what exactly has that complete tosser Brown got in for us next, he hasnt done anything to help this situation, these ****** banks are a joke, they took risks on sub prime & dodgy loans for people even on benefits, self cert etc now they are fecked we have to pay out of the tax to help them out, what about them dropping all there charges to help us out then, bet they dont remember that when the day comes they are back on there feet that we the public paid for them to stay in business huh!!!!!

Its the people that didnt take the risks & didnt get credit upto the eyeballs that are gonna pay for this aswell by losing jobs, losing business etc, I also blame these estate agents pushing the prices up way to much & it is them making sellers believe there house is worth eg. 50k more than the market would suggest, they have alot to answer for aswell

Has anyone reaped the benefits of this 2.5%vat reduction today?

I just bought another 2.5TDi engine for my A4. Vat was 15% not 17.5% so saved me £40 odd quid, so every little helps as they say! Will also be saving some on the fitting :cool:

Funny thing about this VAT cut was it started on 1st December, which was yesterday, but on Saturday, we was Chocablok, as in we had the busiest Saturday in 2008! Period. This can only mean 2 things of course(or both), people got paid, cos it's the end of the month or everyone went out to do the Xmas shopping, despite knopwing of the Tax cuts 2 days later....
And it wasn't just me busy, my friends in the same/similar trade all reported amazing business!