gatso info please...

ALPINE

Yes its diesel, now cry u lost
Reaction score
i got flashed by a gatso (2 flashes) but it was facing the other way. i mean there were no lines on my side of the road.

cant get nicked for that can i?

Jeez. Have you sorted out the other incident with the commercial vehicle speed limit situation yet?

You need an orthapedic accelerator pedal mate! :p

I'm interesting in hearing more about Gatsos flashing cars on the other side of the road, I'm sure I heard something about it a long time ago, that it was allowed 'intermittently' as a deterrant - even had a couple of people I know claim it'd happened to them; but I've never found conclusive info...

Either way, you should be fine, especially given there's no lines on the road. AFAIK the lines have to be present for a prosecution by a GATSO - the lines are the 'secondary check' or whatever they call it - if there are no lines they can't guarantee that the RADAR equipment triggered the camera legitimately.

There were definitely two flashes though, right?

Anyway, be careful you numpty! :p

Rob

You should be fine I've done it quite a few times although the camera by me has lines both sides of the road but takes photo when going downhill but if you accidentally increase your speed going up hill it sometimes flashes.
I use my phone with sat nav and the pocketgpsworld.co.uk database to warn me of cameras you might find some more info on their website.

The lines on the road are actually there in order to calculate your speed. All the Gatso does is trigger at a set threshold, say 35mph, so if you're doing 40, it only knows you're going faster than 35. It doesn't know how much faster. So in order to prosecute you it needs to calculate your exact speed. It does this with the 2 pictures it with a defined gap in between thus the 2 flashes. From the markings on the road it can then calculate how far you travelled in the 0.5 seconds between the 2 pictures and work out the speed. So with no markings they can't prosecute you.
It's all very manual using analogue film which has to be collected from each device, which is why they don't install traditional Gatso's anymore. Most of them are now just dormant or have been set to flash at anyone breaking the speed limit without taking any pictures, just as a deterrent.
Also the front facing Truvelo camera's still need markings on the road in order to issue a NIP.

If the camera flashed you from the front, it's got the guy coming the other way, as they can only clock you from behind.

Truvelos don't flash IIRC, as that could distract the 'speeding' driver :whistle2:

Cheers,

Truvelos do flash, but it's a magenta flash using some kind of filter to prevent dazzling the speeder. It's still pretty bright. Some info would lead you to believe they use infrared photography which is invisible to the naked eye, and they only flash as a deterrent. This is another urban myth.

I've been flashed heading towards Gatso's many times, infact, I set them off deliberately every now and then, by accellerating in the white lines, because I'm well out the picture by the time they flash the second time. :p