New Speed Camera, known as Specs3

abdus

Top Gear
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
speed-camera-220p_1006472f.jpg
Speed cameras which can track drivers for up to 30 miles are to be deployed on roads next year.

---

Trials of the new speed cameras have been concluded successfully in London.

The device is to stop motorists dodging tickets by braking suddenly before a camera and speeding up immediately afterwards.

The cameras will work together in a network, and can be positioned more than 15 miles apart, automatically reading numberplates and transmit data instantly to a penalty processing centre.
Existing average-speed cameras can only cover a maximum of six miles, and are costly and difficult to set up as they have to be connected directly by a cable.

Trials of the new cameras have been concluded successfully in London and a second set of trials are set to finish in Northern Ireland.
The Home Office is expected to approve the technology by the end of January and the first fines are likely to be issued next summer.

Transport minister Jim Fitzpatrick told a road safety conference on Wednesday that the latest cameras would be key in reducing road casualties.

He said: "When the Home Office approves the equipment, I think there will be great interest among the safety-camera partnerships. They will give a more sophisticated edge to cameras than the blunt instrument we have at the moment."

He added: "Trials have shown very good results. Wherever there are average speed camera signs, traffic moves at a uniform speed and crashes reduce."

On the M1 the number of casualties halved after average-speed cameras were introduced on a contraflow between junctions 6a and 10.

The new cameras, known as Specs3, will cost typically £300,000 per network and are likely to be deployed first on long rural A roads, where crashes occur frequently.

Brian Gregory, from the Association of British Drivers, who campaign against speed cameras, said: "People put the car in cruise control and the mind in neutral. It's so boring driving through these sections at a constant slow speed that people are going to drop off."

"The new cameras, known as Specs3, will cost typically £300,000 per network and are likely to be deployed first on long rural A roads, where crashes occur frequently"

Nope, just like all SPEC's camera's they'll be deployed on motorways where the biggest return on investment can be secured. When have you ever seen SPEC's camera's on an A road?

you could still speed between 2 cameras though...speed up to 140mph...stop at the services (provided there is one in between) for a coffee, relax and then continue... LOL

just another post for an old tyre to burn on and 300,000 up in smoke

Still nothing to catch speeding bikes and unlicensed/untaxed/uninsured & drunk drivers then? Thought they were the biggest danger on our roads, but I guess they can't be as obviously they wouldn't target legal motorists doing 85 on the motorway for no reason!

Nope, just like all SPEC's camera's they'll be deployed on motorways where the biggest return on investment can be secured. When have you ever seen SPEC's camera's on an A road?

Spot on, although there are SPECS on the A52 between Grantham and Nottingham not on roadworks.
Just another tax, its the points that **** me off, the insurance companies see it as a revenue generator.

That's what makes it such a joke, if the insurance companies aren't bothered by points on your licence, that demonstrates pretty catorgorically that points are in no way linked to accidents (and they have the best data). If they were then you would be in doubt the insurers would be the first to take them seriously.

So how are they going to reduce car accidents when everyone is spending more time watching the speedo, than looking at whats happening around them ?

All you will see is more cars with false \ altered plates \ not registered in the owners name.

richard

Speed cameras have been around for over 10 years and the accident rate has not fallen as a result. It has fallen in certain camera sites (presumably the ones that justify such arbitary law enforcement). So after 10 years of failure they are still investing in this archaic method of law enforcement I can't honestly see them making the mental leap above. Will be interesting to see what happens in Swindon in the coming year.

i did work for a guy this year who had a ssangyong musso. which had a set of plates registered in fiji.
he had been pulled twice, where the cops allowed him to drive on, no paperwork asked to be produced. he had no mot on the vehicle, no insurance and god knows how he taxed it ?
he was just laughing about it all, couldnt give a hoot.................

got a road angel, tomtom with speed camera updates and a laser jammer

thank goodness for technology, well apart form the undercover cars

I think these cameras are good for roadworks on the motorways and A roads as they seem to be the same as standard average speed cameras just with a longer range.

I for one think average cameras are the only ones which enforce the speed limit properly. I dont think they should be used except for roadworks and theres always plenty of warning.

Expensive tho considering what the technology is

i did work for a guy this year who had a ssangyong musso. which had a set of plates registered in fiji.
he had been pulled twice, where the cops allowed him to drive on, no paperwork asked to be produced. he had no mot on the vehicle, no insurance and god knows how he taxed it ?
he was just laughing about it all, couldnt give a hoot.................
Exactly my point. I'd be interested if anyone knows about how the law is supposed to mitigate against this, if it does at all. Suppose for example I fit random French number plates to my A3. Assuming that, right now at least, the DVLA and police force computer systems have no way of accessing the French vehicle database, there's no way they could post me a ticket.

I could also pretend my RHD car was first registered in Britain before I moved to France a couple of years ago as an ex-pat, so my chassis and engine number would tie up with a UK car, but no longer since it's now "registered" in France. Roadside checks might be a problem if I'm carrying ID, but with some careful preparation it could be okay.

If this works, then I'm unlikely to receive any speeding tickets or be easily identified, although on a darker note, as described above, I could in theory drive around with no tax, MoT or insurance. Any thoughts on this? I must say now I've got no intention of doing something like this and would insist no-one else does either - but where does the law stand?

just take your front plate off, and say it got nicked or something! it was there this morning officer!

the guy i know who owned this vehicle (one mentioned above with fiji plates )gave it to a landscaper guy in part payment for a job .
who went to mot it, the tester laughed at him and told him he would have to register it with dvla, it was using oil heavily and was not going to pass an inspection which was needed to get it registered. when the landscaper guy realised this he sold it for 600 quid. usual mess , sell it on for some other mug to fix up, who probably thought he had got a good deal ?

I work for a motorfactors, and have a few regulor polish customers who drive around on their polish plates.
I asked one of them if they planned to change them over to UK plates, and they laughed saying, "what? and have to pay for tax and MOT?"
I did contemplate asking one of them to get me a set for when I visit my girlfriend in London, congestion charge you say? LOL

great, yet more things to try and f**k my job up! yes you could say just stick to the speed limits, but for eg, a motorway at 12am?? goverment are a bunch of *******!

Wicked video too, i love seeing those things burned out!

Just got my first ever 3 points after 9 years of driving. Mobile camera van on a safe stretch of dual-carriageway, with a 40mph limit (for some reason) on the way into Ipswich.

It sure has put me off Ipswich. Even more.