Legoland

Kontraband

Reaction score
I saw there were a couple of peeps talking about Legoland in another thread.

Is it actually any good for say a highly active 5 year old and a toddler?

Im not concerned particularly about cost... more about wasting the day queueing when we could be doing something more productive. I know for a fact I dont queue well adn nor does he. Its a Saturday we are looking at too so should I sack it off for something better or go because its LEGOLAND?!

TIA and excuse the typo! ;)

Legoland is terrible, nothing but queues to go on rides. When we were there they put signs up telling you how long the wait would be and some of them were 2 hours!
2 hours with a 3 & 5 year old in a queue to go on a 5 minute train ride? It really is criminal. They have no climbing/slide areas, nothing for kids to do other than queue. Actually that should be their tag line in the advert:
"Come to Legoland - nothing for kids to do but queue!"
Luckily we had free tickets through work, but otherwise it would have cost £122 for the family, outrageous. We worked out each ride cost £20 as you can only possibly go on about 6 rides in an 8 hour day - bargain!
We always go to Paultons Park as it's only 15 minutes away, it's £16 entrance, not £35 & £26, and kids go free under 1m tall (not under 3 years old). Loads of climbing areas, a dinosaur park, go karts etc etc. We got a 1 year season ticket for £120, as opposed to a single day pass for the same money at Landofqueues!

Legoland is terrible, nothing but queues to go on rides. When we were there they put signs up telling you how long the wait would be and some of them were 2 hours!
2 hours with a 3 & 5 year old in a queue to go on a 5 minute train ride? It really is criminal. They have no climbing/slide areas, nothing for kids to do other than queue. Actually that should be their tag line in the advert:
"Come to Legoland - nothing for kids to do but queue!"
Luckily we had free tickets through work, but otherwise it would have cost £122 for the family, outrageous. We worked out each ride cost £20 as you can only possibly go on about 6 rides in an 8 hour day - bargain!
We always go to Paultons Park as it's only 15 minutes away, it's £16 entrance, not £35 & £26, and kids go free under 1m tall (not under 3 years old). Loads of climbing areas, a dinosaur park, go karts etc etc. We got a 1 year season ticket for £120, as opposed to a single day pass for the same money at Landofqueues!

Ah, nice one Andy... thanks for the info..

You said its only 15 mins away tho...but looking at it I assume you mean 15 mins from your place not Legoland. ;)

I'd have to agree with the above (as you'd probably have guessed based on what I had to say on the other thread). I think it cost somewhere between £80 and £90 for Ming Blue, myself and the little man to get in which is scandalous enough in itself, but when you consider he only got to go one one or two rides because of the insane queueing it gets even worse. If the queues weren't a problem (lets say five to ten minutes per attraction/ride) the admission might be a little more swallowable, and it would actually be a pretty great day out; but unfortunately that's not the case...

Regards,

Rob.

Sorry mate should have expanded a little, from experience it is pants, not a great deal there, over priced, massive queues etc.

Like Andy I also live about 15/20 minutes away from Paultons and also have a season ticket.

The only downside to Paultons is it's really chavvy!

But brilliant for our little boy, even though he's not 2 yet there's loads for him to do, roller coaster ride, big long slides (he sits on your lap) plenty of the little stnadalone rides which are free. Lots of play areas/ Lots of open green areas for him to run around on. A digger ride that we have to prise him off. The queues aren't horrendous either even when it's really busy (judge by how full the over flow car parks are!)

Our friends drive down from London to go to Paultons as the extra time in the car still means they get to go on more rides than at Thorpe park.

J.

ok, well that sounds like a good option then. We are going to Easton first so really its anything around that and on the way north. (although clearly Paultons is south of easton) ;)

Yes sorry, 15 minutes away from home (Southampton).
Legoland is wierd, it's like it's aimed at 10 year olds+ but because of the Lego name we (& others) wrongly assumed it was for the Lego age group, and ironically because of the name I doubt older kids would want to go either.
Just Google "Legoland rip off" and you'll find all you need.
For our boys (3 & 5) they'd rather visit one of the many farms that are now opening to the public, feeding lambs & grooming horses is a much bigger thrill for them than a scary amusement ride.

yeah, well that google search has killed off any chance of going! ;)

aye, the missis has been there with her school kids a few times....

Id normally drop a feeding the goat joke in here, but as we are talking about Childrens farms I'll behave.

Our annual passes to Legoland have just expired, my mum bought them using her Tesco clubcard vouchers, think its about £16 worth per pass. If I had to pay real money to get in there i'd probably be detered but the point of the place is that you cant do it all in a day. There is a lot to see so you cant go to big places like this thinking 1 visit will do, we went 6 times this year, the last being Sunday 14th Sept and we walked back out through an area called Duplo land which we hadnt got to before as we thought it was for really young kids and would bore our 5yr old. It was a massive water play area with tons of different activities & our little one was going mad wanting to go play there so we got that wrong!
Yes the queue's get bad when its busy but never had to wait over an hour for a ride, even at the busiest times. The thing with the annual pass is at least you can go do something without huge queues & save that ride for the next time round. They now operate a q-bot system which is an electronic queue jumping system where you set a time to go on a ride in a little portable gizmo they give you so can go do something else and come back an hour later to go on that ride. Costs £10 per head which is darn expensive to jump queue's in my opinion but lots of people seem to get them all the same!
All in all I like the place in what it offers different age groups, and certainly its very popular with our little one. I think the only reason we feel this way though is because we had the annual passes we could go when we like (although its nearly an hour away from us) so if we missed something it wasnt the end of the world. Getting the tickets through Tesco clubcard points is another plus point of course! If I had to travel here from a distance away & only had 1 day I can see why it would annoy people though, precisely the reason I cant stand Alton Towers!!

£236 for a family of four annual pass is hardly a bargain and not having to wait over an hour for a 5 minute ride is supposed to be a good thing? As for the queue jumping, I think that says it all. A decent entertainment park wouldn't need such a system, let alone fleece you for even more cash so you can **** people off by jumping the queues.
Even if you went 6 times for 6 hours each day, that's only 6 rides you could accomplish which equates to £6.50 per ride! That's outrageous by anyones standards.

I agree if you pay £236 for 4 annual passes it is a lot of money, but if you shop at Tesco & collect the clubcard points you'll get the passes for about £16 worth of points each which makes it essentially free, your buying the food anyway after all!!

Out of interest have you actually ever been to any other theme park in this country on a busy day Andy? They're all the same, long queues & irritable people! If you go to EuroDisney or any of the parks in Florida they all suffer from queues in my experience when they're busy. The one thing they do in quite a lot of places i've been in America is offer a free queue jump system where you collect a ticket giving you a ride time in later on, maybe an hour or so ahead so you can go do other things, a bit like the Legoland q-bot system but free! This helps to a certain extent but your not the only one given that ride time so your always going to be in a queue, just a shorter one!

Queueing is a fact of life at major theme parks, if you cant deal with it dont go & dont moan about it thinking it wont happen to you & then it does. Places like Paultons simply dont handle the level of visitors Legoland will, they wont charge as much money but then you can tell they dont have a lot of money by looking at the place. Its a fun place of course & i'd go there again, its just in a different league visitors wise compared to the Legolands & Alton Parks of the world.

Tip for Legoland is stay past 5 as it always gets quieter, get there at 1pm instead of 10am when it opens & bring a packed dinner with you to save buying the crap expensive food. At 6pm on a busy summers weekend its a lot easier to get on rides!

Lucky I went to Legoland on a quiet day, very little queue's and not too many people around, I managed to get through 80% of the rides I think. I felt the whole park as a whole was a bit run down though, could do with a refurb all over, just a lick of paint would have brighten the whole place up!

Yep, been to pretty much all of the major ones and Legoland was the worst by far. Paultons & Longleat were the best.
I think you're totally missing the point, I expect to queue for a popular ride, but 2 hours is beyond ridiculous for an adult let alone a 4 year old. Nowhere on this earth have I had to queue for anything for anywhere near that length of time.
Don't really understand why you're trying to defend it, it's unacceptable, end of story. People need to know so they don't waste money and time going there.

I do see your point Andy & if I had ever experienced a 2hr wait on a ride i would be annoyed too, but i've never had that the times i've been, and the weekend i went before the august bank holiday was totally manic there! Longleat is a darn good place though, went to school not far away in Warminster so spent a lot of times on the estate in my teens on a mountainbike riding around the grounds & forrests surrounding the place, lovely piece of countryside, just a shame the went & built a darn great big Centre Parks right in my way. Buggers had to drain my sailing lake to about 1/2 full which made it interesting trying to launch & recover the dinghies!!

is longleat one of those walk around places, or drive around places??

Im sure you know where I'm going with that question! ;)

It's both. You drive around the safari bit with the Lions & Tigers (walking is optional), but it is fun watching the monkeys stripping the Fords & French cars for all the parts they need. German cars seem to go unscathed.
Then there's a massive climbing/jungle area which is worth the entrance fee alone