Is it me or .........

JohnboyC

Reaction score
the standard of peoples driving getting a sh*t sight worse........

Every day these days I am cut up, undertaken, over taken and carved up, not let out of busy junctions, poor lane discipline, jumping traffic lights, badly adjusted lights, sometimes no lights people still driving with mobiles glued to their ears, people tailgating, excessive speed.....

At the ripe old age of 47, and having been driving since I was 18....the novelty of driving is wearing pretty thin.........

Whats everyone else think ?

i agree.... there is not 1 day goes past without me screaming and some idiot who cant drive!!

gets on ya tits dont it!

I agree John
some tossers on the road

A lot of it is just pure selfishness, not indicating off roundabouts, queuing across junctions etc. I think is it probably inevitable as it coincides with the general increase in selfish attitudes and ignorance in everyday life.

A lot of it is just pure selfishness, not indicating off roundabouts, queuing across junctions etc. I think is it probably inevitable as it coincides with the general increase in selfish attitudes and ignorance in everyday life.
Spot on. :applaus:

Agreed...whats strange is when you are on the motorway and you kindly ask someone to move out of the way, if they are not overtaking and they hurl the world of abuse to you!!!

If you were walking the street and they were in your way and you said excuse me to them, would they do the same then...i doubt it very much. CHUMPS!!!

Welcome to british driving in the year 2k, its only gonna get worse...

Agreed...whats strange is when you are on the motorway and you kindly ask someone to move out of the way, if they are not overtaking and they hurl the world of abuse to you!!!

If you were walking the street and they were in your way and you said excuse me to them, would they do the same then...i doubt it very much. CHUMPS!!!

Cars do seem to bring out the worst in us all.

OMFG!! the amount of greef i have had today.... i have had the day off and i been here there and every where in the car. this is the 1st full day i have driven it slammed to the floor. the amout of people that have flashed me.... sat on my **** even 1 fool in a jeep full beam and on the horn because i have been going over the speed mountains at 10 mph!! is it not obvious that my car is slammed... i can clear the normal ramps ok (just) but the big mofos i gotta slow down for! this issue fits perfectly into this thread.... some mite say raise ya ride hight but that defeating the object. i want a low car i have 1 !

some people need to chill out sorry for putting an extra 15 seconds on your trip!!

*and breath! rant over..... im moving to the salt flats!!

I quite often have stories to tell whenever I get into work. Usually about the awfull driving I encounter each day.

I have no dual carriage or motorways on route to work and pretty much only 1 decent straight where you can overtake.

Stuck behind a lorry, small van and a car and seeing it was totally clear on the straight I pulled out and started overtaking only to be blocked by the van who decided he fancied going before me.

Not only did he pull out right infront of me but he then proceeded to overtake the lorry at about 2mph faster than it was going and give me abuse out his back window for being too close to him...I could see oncomming traffic through his windscreen when I was about halfway past the lorry but this guy was too busy giving me his oppinion.

The worst thing is that peoples stupidity on the roads usually effects the innocent. The person who just happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Annoys the sh*t out of me some peoples ignorance.

Have to agree with the driving standard getting a lot worse - wonder if I can have machine guns installed on the front of my car - would make driving more fun in my eyes.
Had someone wave / hold their hand up to say sorry for their mistake yesterday - 1st time I've seen that in ages !

Richard

I have to say, if i make a mistake and i know im in the wrong i will ALWAYS apologise, unless they start hurling abuse!!

I had a nice run from Solihull to Croydon, only one empty-headed-animal-food-trough-water who couldn't drive in a straight line on the M25 which annoyed me, so i pulled alongside him and edged back into line :)

There was a bit on the M40 where a Black Mk2 TT cut up a slower Grey Mk2 TT which I found amusing.

Just last night on my way to the cinema with my good lady some f@cking numpty hammered up the inside lane right in the centre of town at a rediculous speed as i was indicating into that lane.

He proceeded to to flash and blow the horn at me, at which point i was starting to loose the rag!! I swear to Christ if my girlfriend wasnt in the car i wouldve been after him in a shot (silly i know but i was so angry)!!!

Im still raging about it today - aggressive driving like that in town centres is crazy and someone could get killed!!!

Needless to say it was some **** in a chavved up Focus!!!

Shouldve put this in the rant section really lol.

People are more selfish and ignorance these days
All they think about is them selfs..And most happen to be idiots!

I'd be tempted to agree that standards are definitely slipping. I'll get through a thousand miles even on a quiet week, so I see a broad range of behaviour on the roads.

If I had to slap percentages on it, I'd say that perhaps 5% of drivers are true knights of the road, going out of their way to accomodate the others of their type. There's probably a figure of about 70% who are average - not bending over backwards for the benefit of other road users, but certainly doing nothing wrong; however that leaves 25% who have one or more serious issues with their road etiquette.

Without wishing to make sweeping generalisations, another observation I've made is that the use of roundabouts in South Wales seems to be some sort of black art that upwards of 80% of the general populous are completely unaware of. I know the rules of using roundabouts are bent a little from time to time without upsetting anyone particularly, but there's a difference between that and an absolute mass of people who don't know how to indicate which exit they intend to take, or conversely that they're continuing around past you. Poor or completely lacking indication at roundabouts really winds me up. There's another little one down here too, which while rarer is even more enraging - folks who like to go all the way around a roundabout in the inside lane. I'm starting to lose count of the number of times I've nearly been T-boned by some clueless wench in a 106, Saxo, Fiesta or similar who is simply enjoying the merry-go-round with not a thought for those exiting from their right.

Anyway, going off topic a little, and wearing a different cap for a moment... Congratulations to JohnboyC, MintyS3 and Con S3 for self-censoring. To the rest of you with potty-mouths please could you take a leaf from their book. Editing out the more colourful language in this thread will take ages... Cheers chaps...

Regards,

Rob.

I agree and try my best to be conservative when confrontation arises. I always find slowing down helps if someone drives up my bee-hind, nothing too drastic but enough to make me laugh at their red faces. And never rise to it, even if they're driving a heap. I value my license more than that. Also, people that 'peep and creep' at junctions - makes me VERY nervous.

Interesting stuff folks......this mornings drive to work......stuck in a traffic jam about 200 yds from entrance to a roundabout on a dual carriageway......an abulance with blues and twos going came from behind me and i pulled over as did cars in the outside lane of the dual carriage way..

The ambulance was going pretty fast....and I could not believe that 3 cars were tailgating the ambulance, not letting the cars that had pulled over for the ambulance out in front of them........

Who are these inconsiderate people......

I honestly don't believe it's selfishness. I wouldn't credit most of the idiots on the road today with enough talent to drive selfishly. It's pure ignorance. They don't even know they're doing anything wrong, half are asleep at the wheel, the other half too busy with their phones & iPODs to use anything approaching anticipation or even basic road skills.
All we hear is "more cars on the road" and increasing levels of congestion and the only answer coming back is to charge people for using the roads. This is utter crap. Retest drivers every 5 years and you'll soon see the numbers of road users drop. If they have accrued points or insurance claims in that period then they get a more in depth test.
Far too simple I know, but you'd soon see a different attitude to driving if their behaviour actually impacted their livelihoods. People seem to think they have a right to be on the road just because they passed a very simple 30 minute road test 20 years ago. The whole thing is a nonsense. I bet half the drivers couldn't even pass the eyetest let alone anything more demanding.

Far too simple I know, but you'd soon see a different attitude to driving if their behaviour actually impacted their livelihoods. People seem to think they have a right to be on the road just because they passed a very simple 30 minute road test 20 years ago. The whole thing is a nonsense. I bet half the drivers couldn't even pass the eyetest let alone anything more demanding.

Peoples current attitudes are that holding a driving licence is a right and not a privilege.

I honestly don't believe it's selfishness. I wouldn't credit most of the idiots on the road today with enough talent to drive selfishly. It's pure ignorance. They don't even know they're doing anything wrong, half are asleep at the wheel, the other half too busy with their phones & iPODs to use anything approaching anticipation or even basic road skills.
All we hear is "more cars on the road" and increasing levels of congestion and the only answer coming back is to charge people for using the roads. This is utter crap. Retest drivers every 5 years and you'll soon see the numbers of road users drop. If they have accrued points or insurance claims in that period then they get a more in depth test.

Ive said this alot with mixed feedback but I suggested every 10 years.

on the way to work this morning most cars had sidelights on at least as it was dark and gloomy,saw a bloke with his headlights on whilst wearing sunglasses...7a.m!