Anyone been to Venice??

Nickynibbles

Damn it where's 7th gear when you need it?!
Reaction score
Off on a 2 night trip there on Thurs for my birthday which im looking forward to in a big way. One thing though i've been trying to find out about after reading something in the AA guide book but having no luck on the net! It says about general dress code in that shorts are frowned upon within the city, and im not just talking about if you want to go into a church, but in general walking about the city. Anyone have any experience of this?? Given temps are hitting 30 degrees at the mo i can survive I expect in some combat style cotton trousers or linen but would be more comfortable in shorts for sure as dont really plan on spending time going into the churches!!

I went to Venice about this time last year, only for a day though.

I personally didnt like it to be honest, was smelly, expensive and everything seemed to be in a state of disrepair. Also its RAMMED with other tourists, mostly American, Canadians and Japanese.

On the plus side though, there are a lot of historical things to see there, lots of old churchs, the old harbour and the lighthouse. When we were there they were renovating the central square so that should be finished and looking really nice.

I guess if your going with the missus you'll have more fun, best thing to do when you get there is get a tourists map, covers the whole city and highlights anything worth seeing.

Also if your flying into the local Venice airport (its really small and I cant off the top of my head remember its name) theres a shuttle bus to Venice for about 7 Euros each way, the ticket office is located in the terminal building after you exit Customs.

Oh and lots of people were wearing shorts, I wore my army desert DPM ones. :D

Another thing, you can walk across the city and back in about half a day, so in two days you will have time to see pretty much. Also its quite humid more than hot.

I thought it was fantastic. It is unsurprisingly expensive, but not smelly at all (at least when we went). Obviosuly it's a couples type location, not a boys away day.
Sitting in St Marks square sipping a very pricey cappacino is quite an experience, like being in a film, and some of the tiny restaurants down the alleys were quite reasonable and of course excellent food.
If you want somewhere that's completely perfect with no character or soul then I suggest Dubai.

Me and the missus went there as part of our honeymoon, and it really is a fantastic place. Not being a short-wearing person myself (I have a serious sun allergy so need long slieves and legs) I can't comment on the reactions to this.

Venice is beautiful but very expensive. We had lunch in St Mark's Square - two sandwiches, two drinks, two coffees and two cakes. Came to about seventy euros!

Enjoy the trip. If you want to buy glass, be sure to go to Murano as it is a bit cheaper and higher quality than what you get in Venice. The Doge's Palace is really worth a visit too.

Cheers
Dan

main land venice is nicer, cheaper & villages are cool & people very nice, my missus is italian & from venice the region so know fairly well

Well i went when i was a tiny little girl so can not remember it much apart from the fantastic food

yeah italian homefood is the best & so damn simple, I mean a proper bolognese actually has very little meat & sauce in & it tastes fantastic, none of this dolmio **** we have & loads of mince, lol, I'm addicted to some biscuits called "Maccine" they are just lovely in morning with your Tea, problem is you could easily eat a whole 1kg bag in few days, lol

We went to Venice for a week part of our honeymoon.
We were never bored.
Yes, you could 'blitz it' and see everything in a day or two, but that goes against the pace of the place.
We found it so relaxing (helped by the lack of traffic and noise connected with it) that we just strolled around, taking regular breaks in the loads of fantastic little cafes.
We didn't partake of any San Marco restaurants, but we did go to some of the waterfront ones.
They weren't any dearer than here.
If you go inland, they get cheaper.
Don't do what we did, along with everyone else, and be bullied/fooled by your coach driver into using water taxis when you arrive in Venice.
The ****** Ryanair coach drivers are in cahoots with them, definitely.
You're confused and disorientated and some bent coach driver tells you to "go there", which ends up costing you a mint.
Take the waterbuses, they are frequent and cheap.
Im looking forward to going back some time soon.
Enjoy.