Monster MotorsportChris Nott
    5th Gear

Status

Lets have a boating thread ...

I know from a previous thread that there are one or two of you on here who have boats so I thought I would start something .... previously I was looking at a jet ski and partly I still think I want to as they are a cheap way of going fast .... I also want to change the wifes car to a TT and do something with my suspension and ICE but need to make a decision .. should I do that or buy the boat / ski ?

So far i've still been looking at jetskis and also I'm tempted by seadoo jet boats or even as previously suggested a small rib, although I don't think they go that quick and are certainly expensive ...

So anyone want to discuss the above or any other boat topic ?
    Gone A3 TDi S Line DSG Bluefined

Now Seat Leon Cupra about to be Bluefined

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status
    Well ide go for the boat but i do live in sydney where we have the harbour to play in. Jetski's are banned from Sydney harbour due too to many idiots hitting swimmers.

Jet boats are great but be careful because the engines love getting clogged with sand and dirt. Normally alot more maintenance than a regular engine.

BTW dad's got a colbalt 222 with the 8.1L V8. does about 70mph but expensive on petrol

Damn it where's 7th gear when you need it?!

Status
    I'd say a good bet is to get yourself something manageable 1st time round, getting a 250hp 4-stroke outboard on the back for your 1st boat might seem like a good idea but it'll probably get you into some sort of trouble real quick! I'd say go for an older simple design fibre glass hull 2-4 seater with up to 100hp 2-stroke engine on the back, which can always be upgraded later when you become more profficient. The main cost of buying a boat is the engine so starting out on a smaller engine has this added benefit! Something like this would be a good place to start......

http://www.boatshop24.co.uk/cHZ0MjE5...RROWSPORT.html
    A4 3.0 Quattro Sport - Gone & missed everyday!

Current road going missile.....

........Smart Roadster - arguably the most fun you can have in a car without using lube!!

5th Gear

Status
    Oh I wouldn't go striaght out for a big power lump as nice as it would be ! it would be like having an F40 as a first car. I've looked at the fletchers, in thats what I was considering before I decided on the jet ski, the only thing with the fletcher is that my dad already has one - Fletcher Faro thats ok for the local river, I thought something like the ski or rib would be more fun than the fletcher speed boat. Trouble is I cannot have something too big otherwise it will be a pain to tow.

2008 Phantom Black S3

Status
    It depends what you want to do with the boat mate. I do alot of wakeboarding and waterskiing. There isnt much point in buying a Seadoo jet boat or jet ski if you want to do either of these as they are built purely for ripping through the water.

However if this is your plan then go for it! Personally, IMO, i find jet skis get very boring after a while. If you buy a proper Speed boat equipped with a ski eye / wakeboard tower etc, you are less restricted with what you can do on the water!!

Maybe im just biased due to my interest in watersports. Bearing in mind also that it is a very expensive hobby lol.

5th Gear

Status
    I'd like to get involved in some form of ski ing, I think it could be fun, jetskis are quick certainly the RXP X or whatever it was that I went on the back of was ! I think you could have a bit more fun in the jet boat but then they are expensive ..

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveTDCi View Post
    Oh I wouldn't go striaght out for a big power lump as nice as it would be ! it would be like having an F40 as a first car. I've looked at the fletchers, in thats what I was considering before I decided on the jet ski, the only thing with the fletcher is that my dad already has one - Fletcher Faro thats ok for the local river, I thought something like the ski or rib would be more fun than the fletcher speed boat. Trouble is I cannot have something too big otherwise it will be a pain to tow.
    If a 15ft speed boat is too big for you then you are restricted to a rib or jetski. A small rib wouldnt be able to have as big an engine as a fibre glass speed boat so despite its lighter weight it'll never be as fast! A jet ski would be better for its small size & high speed thrills, but would be a bit dull after a bit as there's only a few things you can do really with them. At least with a small speed boat you can go somewhere in it on a day trip along the coast if you like rather than just trashing it about for an hour or 2 getting cold & wet!!

........Smart Roadster - arguably the most fun you can have in a car without using lube!!

5th Gear

Status
    Oh a 15ft speed boat would be fine, I'd be happy as long it didn't break the towing limit for the A3 and then if I really got into boating I would sell the A3 and buy a cheap Mondeo/Laguana estate. Boats always look huge out of the water, my dads 18' faro doesn't look big in the water but on a trailer behind his freelander it looks huge !

5th Gear

Status

Status
    The Seadoo one has the same engine as one of their larger jet ski's and its a lot of money! The Zodiac rib is a little more like it on price for a 1st time not sure if its what I want try out kind of boat! Its only an 80hp engine though so power to weight ratio would be on par with the sea doo i'd say, probably a better choice of the 2. Thing to bear in mind with jet power is that without having the power on you cant turn so makes manouvering a little trickier in tight slow speed places. On the plus side you can run straight onto a beach without having to lift the engine! Both types of drive are susceptable to picking up crap & clogging the cooling system so no real advantage either way. The obvious main advantage of having an outboard powered boat is that if you want to up the power you just have to change the engine, not the entire boat!

5th Gear

Status
    I've been watching the ribs and they go for silly money and the seadoo boats are expensive as well....i'll have a look at some boats, I think November onwards is the best time to buy as it will be too cold and no one will want a boat ... oh and I want to go to the boat show.

Status
    Agreed, sensible to buy a seasonal thing like this at the end of the season when the market it flooded with choice driving down prices.

5th Gear

Status
    I think if I went for the conventional boat i'd go for something like this ...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fletcher-Arrow...6.c0.m14.l1318

I like the idea of something with an open bow, although I don't think it would be as chuckable as a jet boat.

A pint of Diesel please!

Status
    I have a 16ft sailing dinghy. It's called a 49er (like what they are sailing at the olympics )
    It's great fun and I don't have a fuel bill after I've been tearing around at 20knots!
    LISTEN TO THE Bluehorses THEY ROCK!

My BM is fixed!

Status
    get a 21ft RIB with 2x 200hp Johnsons, like the RNLI use....wooohooooo!
    Chris

The problem with common sense, is that its not that common.

See my images @
    http://www.christianfrench.co.uk

Own a dreaded BMW? http://www.bmw-sport.net

My BM is fixed!

Status
    More power??

Chris

See my images @

5th Gear

Status
    some how I think the A3 might struggle to pull it !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A4Quattro View Post
    More power??

Looks like something Jezza would build for a TG challenge!!!

5th Gear

Status
    I would say its a photoshop but it might be real ... I had heard someone say customs caught a rib style boat with 6 x 250 engines on the back but didn't think it could be true. Imagine how much fuel that would use !

My BM is fixed!

Status
    that would be 2000hp, jesus.
    Chris

See my images @

Status
    Dont thinks its a photoshop, or its a bloody good one! There's reflections of all the engines in the water & there's ripples on the surface, all of which would be hardwork for the home user to create, unless he happened to work for Pixar!!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hahahaha......na the boat is real. Ive seen it in an article somewhere but cant remember where. Theres a company that builds them but mainly used for drug running because of the crazy top speed.

A pint of Diesel please!

Status
    Well I don't know how many of you watched the olympic sailing, but we have just won our 4th gold!
    that makes 4 golds, 1 silver and 1 bronze

Much respect to them

http://www.intersail.co.uk/forum/for...?TID=4547&PN=1

Inserted a link because I don't know how to insert a picture
    Last edited by Les 51; 21st August 2008 at 10:36.
    LISTEN TO THE Bluehorses THEY ROCK!

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveTDCi View Post
    I know from a previous thread that there are one or two of you on here who have boats so I thought I would start something .... previously I was looking at a jet ski and partly I still think I want to as they are a cheap way of going fast .... I also want to change the wifes car to a TT and do something with my suspension and ICE but need to make a decision .. should I do that or buy the boat / ski ?

So far i've still been looking at jetskis and also I'm tempted by seadoo jet boats or even as previously suggested a small rib, although I don't think they go that quick and are certainly expensive ...

So anyone want to discuss the above or any other boat topic ?
    Was it my thread about me heading off to Spain that you are on about? Anywho, I've just come back after 10 days out there and I've got to say, boating is immense! Very expensive to do. I'm on a Ferretti 68 Anniversary and I had my first experience driving it into port the other day. Got to say, its not that bad. Very maneuverable for its size! Bow thrusters are spot on and when you use the engines against one another, it turns on the spot. In calm weather, take your time, take it nice and easy and you wont get into trouble. Shes pretty damn brisk too... top speed of 32 knots! Thats not too shabby in something the size of a small hotel!

On the boat, we've got a Zodiac Rib Jet Boat (98hp) and a Sea Doo Jet Ski. I've been out on the rib a few times and I tell you its the most fun you'll have with your clothes on! I got used to the controls straight away and as 'Nickynibbles' said, you have to have power in order to steer. Same as the Jet Ski. I had 3 people in the rib and we hit 43 knots! So pretty damn quick on water! Haven't been out in the Ski yet. Should be out on it late next week. Its ment to be a lot quicker than the rib so should be good fun too! Out of the two I'd probably go for the rib. You just never tire of how she snarls up out of the water and off she goes!
    Coss

S3 S-tronic: Panther Black, lots of extras, MTM remap

5th Gear

Status
    I've looked at jet ribs and the seadoo speedster both are quite expensive both in terms of buying and running. It was a Seadoo RXP-P that made me want something on the water, you will love going on one, the one I went on hits 75mph which when your on water is damn fast !!! Ribs are supposed to be a little more useable than the odd blast on a ski, but it would be interesting to see what you prefer...

i'm looking now but will probably leave it until we are well out of season, i'll also go to the boat show to have a look, as for a 68' boat I imagine it is fun, the most i've played with is 47' on the norfolk broads .. which although nice won't compare to spain !