I think I've been cheated!

Wai-Fan

Reaction score
Okay, I'll try and explain what has happened. 2 weeks ago I noticed an A3 2.0 TDi Sport for £9,850 that I was going to purchase, but I was too slow in deciding and the salesman told me it was "sold".
Last week I was searching again for another A3 in similar spec and colour and he found one and sold it to me for £10,850. It was fine until I saw the registration of the car and it looked really similar to the registration to the one that got "sold" the week before, but I didn't think much of it.
However, today I went on confused.com to get an insurance quote for my next insurance year and then I saw one of my saved quotes and it was the car that was sold for £9,850 which was the EXACT same car that the salesman just sold me for £10,850!

Basically, the A3 I wanted 2 weeks ago was sold and the salesman has just sold me the exact same car for a higher price! I'm an idiot! But what can I do? :(

I agree with Lottie mate, I will save you the "How the hell did you not notice it was the same car?" routine - but somebody else may not be so kind later!!

Does the garage have any kind of 14 day return period if not happy or anything? I think it is up to the salesmans discretion in all honesty!
But you presumably paid £10,850 as that is what you though the car is worth - so I would just go with that, and try and forget the fact it was a grand less last week. Easier said that done I know, but just accept that you paid what you feel the car is worth.

Good luck and let us know!

I take it, it's the same garage you seen the "two" cars and this salesman claimed he had sourced a motor for you.

I would go back and ask him to explain himself. And an enquiry to Trading standards wouldn't hurt either.

Sorry to hear it mate, but I agree with Lottie in that I don't think there's anything you can do.

If I were you, i'd approach the salesman in question, find the truth and if it's true, tell EVERYONE you know about said garage and tell them to tell their mates.

Word of mouth will hit 'em where it hurts ;)

Dunno for def. If he can prove that he was sold the same car under devious circumstances, then it could be worth a go.

No harm enquiring :)

On the face of it I would say that the salesman has obtained the extra cash by deception, I would seek legal advice (you may get free legal advice with your home or car insurance), got to be worth a call.

indeed sir, it's the cost of getting the enquirer to find out that i'm worried about lol

My wife was stiffed for 2k when she changed jobs a couple of years ago, £70 for some legal advice and a letter in the post to said employer saw a cheque hitting the doormat post haste :)

Hmmm, I'm off back to the dealership tomorrow morning to ask something about my CD player and I think I'll ask the salesman about it. However, I don't know what to say to the salesman as I usually just accept my losses if I make a silly mistake but this is a grand! And being a student, that is a lot of money! My uncle warned me about dodgey sneaky salesman and I got tricked! But as the deal has already been done I'm guessing I can't really do anything about it :( It was an Audi dealership as well!

Anyways, is £10,850 a good price for the following?

A3 2.0 TDi Sport

Mauritious Blue

50k Miles

Pretty much immaculate condition

Been looking at prices for similar spec A3's for past 6 months and most seem to have around 60k to 70k miles for that price.

I would of paid 9850 for it looking at the spec :moa:

At the very least go to see Citizens Advice. The fact it was an Audi dealer makes it even worse. And if you have no joy from the salesman, ask to speak to the manager or dealer principle.

When you first saw it it may have needed a couple of things done which you couldn't see, now they may have been done and hence the increased price.

^^ just another possibility!

You have rights under the sale of goods act to question a supplier within a reasonable period of time regarding a purchase. I wouldnt be surprised if Audi offer a money back guarantee although legally speaking they dont have to refund you unless the car is faulty or not fit for the purpose intended, or unless some other legislative breach has occured. If you've bought the car on Aufi finance however you have a clear way out as by law you have a 14-day cooling off period on any finance agreement where you can return the goods in the same condition you received them in and cancel the finance agreement.

You only answer is to speak to the salesman, if they tell you to go away then speak to the dealership manager, if they tell you to go away phone Audi UK to lodge a complaint against the dealer. Good luck in any case.

Complain, complain, complain!!!

What is it with people nowadays, you need to fight for what is yours (I dont mean literally fight) But there is no harm in asking and finding out is there, if someone came and offered you a grand for free, you wouldnt say no would you??

Its a grand of your Student money as you say, so after all of this, if you get the money back, you are a grand better off, if you dont ask......you dont get.

I would say CAB and Trading Standards are a good way to go, and also speak to the said salesperson, then if you get no joy, speak to the Manager, then finally if no joy there, then complain to Audi UK then once that has been done name and shame the place!!!!

Obviously this is all done after you have the discussion and they dont give you a valid reason....phew rant over!! :thumbsup:

If what you have said is all there is to this deal then yes you have been done like a kipper and by a main dealer. He may not necessarily have lied to as it may have been inintially sold (and returned) but he was not completely open to the fact that he was selling you the same car at a £1k increase.
Stop being such a wimp, get your *** back there quick, go straight to the manager and demand a explanation & your £1k refund.

Went back this morning and asked the salesman about it and he claimed that he didn't know anything about it and that the used car sales manager sourced the car for me. I told him I was certain it was the same car and he said that the previous deal may have fallen through and the car was back on sale. So I'm not sure what to do :(

Still doesn't excuse sticking a grand on to the price if a deal fell through.

Demand to speak to the maneger or the dealer principle.

If that fails then go to Audi U.K

I told him I was certain it was the same car and he said that the previous deal may have fallen through and the car was back on sale.

I paid sixteen odd grand for my car and six months down the line laquer was coming off the rear quarter even though it had the ******** close inspection by a technician (tosspot more like) I drove straight to the dealer and after they sent the biggest bloke out to me I never lost my rag but told them I have been duped and after some debate they agreed to fix it.

You have to think about that grand and how it can help you and go in their raising your voice whilst using restraint but letting them know it definitely is the same car and you want the money back.Be a bigger shark than them,go in with a few heavies if you know anyone who looks the part.

some unscrupolus buggers would say if all else fails give a chav a super soaker full of brake fluid and pay him to cover every car in the car park but I would never endorse such a criminal act.

I think I will go see the salesman again on Monday and ask to speak to the Used Car Sales Manager or something, problem is I don't know what to say. As I've already signed all the finance sheets etc so I'm guessing theres not a lot I can do.

Also is it possible to see a listed car on sale on a website that's already been taken off. I found the car at first on Allapprovedcars.com 2 weeks ago, do you think they will still have kept a record of the car?

Also thanks for all your help guys!

you have a cooling off period on finance agreements...have a look

After looking through the history in internet explorer I've found the link to the car!

This was the car that I wanted but they said was "sold" and was then sold to me for £10,850 as another car hoping I won't realise! I'm sure the salesman must of been lying if he didn't realise it was the same car as I spent several hours on 2 afternoons asking about this car.

http://www.allapprovedcars.com/Used...-Car-Bradford--crpId502016906-CarDetails.aspx

Print that off and safe it too your favourites. Confront the dealership manager with it and see what he say's.

If you still have no luck, go to Audi U.K and make a song and dance about it.

Good luck :thumbsup:

I signed the forms and collected the car on tuesday. I just emailed Consumer Direct explaining what has happened.

Also I still want the car and don't want to cancel the agreement, I just at least want them to recalculate my monthly payments and adjust my final balloon payment.

Get a screenshot of that page, and get a printout as well, as they can remove that link at any time, then you will be scuppered as you have no evidence.

Is it definitely the same company that had the car and that you got it through, as if its a dealer that was selling the car, maybe they sold it for 9850 to Audi and they put the price upto 10850, which they can do really as they have brought the car to sell at a profitable price, if that makes sense.

I also found the car using the Audi Approved Used Car Locator, it wa also listed as £9,850 there but I can't get the link for that one now.

I have just receive a reply from Consumer Direct about what happened and this is what they said to me:

Dear Mr Lu

Thank you for your enquiry to Consumer Direct dated 26.07.2008. Your reference number for this case is YH469410 and should be quoted in all further correspondence regarding this case.
I understand that you enquired about a used car for £9,850. Leeds Audi told you that the car was sold but later offered you a car of the same specification for £10,850. You bought that car but have now discovered that it is the exact same car as had been on offer at the cheaper price.
In this case you hadn't entered into contract for the car when it was advertised at the lower price, therefore you could not insist that the trader sell the car for that price. Before a contract is formed for the sale of goods either party can change their mind regarding the price they want to buy and sell the goods for and the other party is entitled to accept or reject that offer. When you entered into the contract to buy the car the price was £10,850 and you agreed to pay that amount as an express term of the contract. Therefore, legally you cannot now insist on a reduction of the price.
I would advise you to write a letter of complaint to Leeds Audi regarding the service you have received and request that they investigate and offer you feedback on the matter.
I trust the above information is of some assistance to you. If you require any further information or clarification on this case please do not hesitate to contact Consumer Direct quoting your reference number.

Thank you for your enquiry.
It looks like I'm kinda f**ked :(.
I'm never trusting a car salesman again!!! This is what I get for being nice!
I've also just contacted Audi about this as well, so I am waiting for their reply.

Yep, under contract law you dont have a leg to stand on! Your only hope would be to get the dealer to agree to the lower price, which they dont have to of course. If I were you i'd take up the 14-day cooling of period on finance agreements, walk into the showroom & only speak to the showroom manager, wait if you have to! Explain the situation & say if you dont get the refund you'll cancel the finance. If they say no then actually cancel it & walk away. There are other cars out there you can buy, they've obviously tried to pull a fast one and you shouldnt under any circumstances let them get away with it. You may well indeed love the car but is it worth getting shafted over?! Nothing is worth that, be strong & if they say no then walk away from the car and find another one, they're out there, it may take a few weeks but its worth it!!

If you can walk away. I would rather loose the car than have that feeling of being ripped off.

Loose the car and advertise where you can that they are rogues.

That is if they just hadn't got the price wrong to start with.... or just get interest in a car by advert.......

I would threaten the garage in question with publication on all major car forums/websites and even magazines im sure they would rather give up the 1k than recieve bad press.

Sorry to hear about your circumstances. Really do feel for ya. The way I look at this now is you have two scenarios:

1. Return the car under your rights within the 14days, explain why the car is no longer acceptable under the garage's poor sales technique. Keep your cool - take your 'evidence'. (make sure you print everything as it can all be changed easily online). At the moment the car market is well tough for sales. Indeed the garage do not need to act in your favour, but explain your knowledge of what car you can get for that extra grand and you have spotted such an example elsewhere - who you would rather give your custom to. Indeed a bluff they may call - but as said there will be cars out there better (or perhaps more suited) for you. An alternative you could ask for is for part refund and some kind of servicing deal for the next year or so? It may be their favour to accept this. You have expressed your willing to be lenient. (if of course they agree on any such offer get it in writing on headed paper!)

I'm never trusting a car salesman again!!!

That’s your error right there. Making such a purchase from a car sales I always walk in with the persona of being ripped off – it’s just by how much are they gonna try and take from ya. They ain’t no friend. I’ve been to garages for servicing, experienced a poor service – I tell them, get them to rectify their mistake and tell them I will never use them again, and that their rival is my next point of call. Now I only use a friend of the family for maintenance. They’re very thorough, totally reliable, honest and cheap. I don’t mind dropping them a tip for a few beers or get my parents to buy them a drink when they’re out etc.

This is what I get for being nice!

Unfortunately yes – but remember you have options. Might be difficult to do, but I know I wouldn’t sit there and take it – do something about it whilst you can, or;

2. Keep the car, put up with the error and put it down to an (albeit costly) experience.
Keep us all posted and good luck!

Rob :icon_thumright: