Volks AutosChris Nott
    5th Gear

Status

SPECS cameras catch one driver

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=18403

SPECS CAMERAS CATCH ONE MOTORIST
    32 cameras set up on Northern Irish road snare one driver

Only one motorist has been caught speeding on a stretch of road in Northern Ireland since new speed cameras were introduced, it has been reported.
    Local authorities set up the Specs average speed cameras, which are becoming an increasingly common sight on British roads, two months ago but have since only snared one driver.

32 cameras are understood to have been set up to monitor traffic in both directions of the A2, between Bangor and Holywood.

The only other place that the Speed Safety Enforcement Camera System has been set up in Northern Ireland is on the A1 outside Newry.

Over the two years the cameras have been operating in that location 77 drivers have been caught for speeding.
    So does this make all these cameras a complete waste of money that have not been set up properly, or are they proof that these systems actually work as a deterrent to motorists and therefore promote safer driving.

In this instance knowing the road and how busy it is and also how dangerous it is I would agree with the latter.

Does anyone else know of other sites where the placement of cameras has actually been of benefit to the local area and not just a revenue generator?

Discuss

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    There was a recent piece in autoexpress saying that new cameras are coming that check your average speed even if you change lanes between check points.
    Does this mean that at present changing lanes means the cameras loose you? It doesn't seem that simple? Or am I missing something?

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiteyboy View Post
    but you get the odd few doing 60 - 70 and you think, are they really that stupid and a ticket will be arriving in the post for them very soon, or, do they know something I don't?
    LOL I always wonder that too, I didnt know that if you changed lanes they didnt get you either. I just thought all lanes of cameras communicated with each other .... ?
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

Status
    Whenever I hit the average speed checking cameras on motorway roadworks, I always stick to the correct speed...normally 50, as do most drivers....but you get the odd few doing 60 - 70 and you think, are they really that stupid and a ticket will be arriving in the post for them very soon, or, do they know something I don't?
    what about the M6 toll David? what speed on there

Z82
    2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by treblesykes View Post
    There was a recent piece in autoexpress saying that new cameras are coming that check your average speed even if you change lanes between check points.
    Does this mean that at present changing lanes means the cameras loose you? It doesn't seem that simple? Or am I missing something?
    Yup, if you change lane you dont get done cos its the wrong camera that clocks you exiting the zone.
    There was a big thing in the news about it a while back.

There are new ones on the way if they havn't already started using them.

7. 2003 B6 Nogaro Blue S4 v8 quattro
    Gone but not forgotten:
    6. 1996 B5 Casablanca White A4 2.6 v6 quattro Sport
    5. 1989 B3 Maroon Coupe 2.0E
    4. 1986 B2 Red Coupe 2.2E Limited Edition
    3. 1985 B2 Red 80 Sport
    2. 1983 B2 Black 80 Sport
    1. 1984 B2 Silver 80 Sport

Oil running through my veins.

Status
    I usually hide behind trucks or vans, but ive heard different stories as to how they work...

1. They take two readings and your average is what is measured

2. they clock how long it takes you inbetween each camera and if its quicker than a certain time frame then you'ze booked.

3.like any other camera.. make sure your doing 50 when your going past them

I personally think its number 1, however some cameras have two red dots each side of the actual camera central camera, and ive only rarely seen this happen. most of the time they are just blank.
    Totally addicted to boost.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by treblesykes View Post
    Thats what these new ones are capable of. So even if you swap lanes back and forward, they still recognise your car.

Status

Talking

yes Mr Talk Just That Bit Too Loudly!!!! I had ear ache all the way home!
    was this you David?

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Shy19s View Post
    I usually hide behind trucks or vans, but ive heard different stories as to how they work...

Ditto.... unless theres no truck..

6th Gear

Status
    yeah, I dont have probs with the motorway limits in the roadworks... makes sense. I hate pricks riding my back tho in their *insert car here*..when we hit the 70 again matey... Im having you!

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontraband View Post
    yeah, I dont have probs with the motorway limits in the roadworks... makes sense. I hate pricks riding my back tho in their reliant robins when we hit the 70 again matey... Im having you!