• yes

Votes: 21 91.3%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • what day is it?

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
not sure, personally I wouldn't want to do it and would it really work ?

on one hand, you could send local scallys to a young offenders institute, where they could spend a couple of months in a cushy cell, meet new drug dealer friends, have regular access to the gym and reenter society with a criminal record rendering it impossible to get ajob, and therefore continue to crack old ladies over the heads to rob their purses..

or, you could sign young car jackers et all up for 12 months national service where they are given a purpose, routine, responsibility, taught new skills/trades and given the opportunity to have a career at the end of it all...

nuff said

I've always been for it, only trouble is the Army is way way way way way too pc these days totally governed by H&S so the good old days when my old man was in the Army of being shouted at by a drill sargent and having respect for people have drifted a little im led to believe. Certainly having worked a while back as a bouncer in my home town for a number of years there are some regiments full of total scum bags that are just up for a fight and have no respect for others, bit like the scum you would want to send on national service basically!! I might add there are many many members of the armed forces that totally get my respect for their proffesionalism and personal values.

For it to work it the kids would need to be handled firmly & effectively so its not seen as a holiday, they need to come out of it with altered attitudes to life wanting to make a positive contribution to society. Its not just about beating them into submission, its about constantly showing them they cant just get away with what they want whenever they want, something their parents should of taught them basically!

are you talking about reintroducing it as a form of punishment instead of getting banged up or as a form of growing kids into adults with a purpose? Theres a big gap between the 2, and Id be for sending scallys to the front line but not to send any 16-17 year old there just because they are of that age.

yeah , i agree with that, i would only send the scallys.

that was what i was referring too.

I can't think of any country that still does it that I wouldn't feel safe in (ok, maybe not Isreal). Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Singapore, and anywhere else. I think everyone should have to do it, regardless of background. 16/17 is possibly a bit young - afterall you don't want to end up sending kids to war zones.

so take the scallywags off the streets,train them to kill a man with their bare hands and after a year put them back on the streets?

so take the scallywags off the streets,train them to kill a man with their bare hands and after a year put them back on the streets?

no dood.... they already know all that stuff. Train them to drive a tank... then they can steal that and wreck the place.