Had a motorbike accident yesterday..........

Nickynibbles

Damn it where's 7th gear when you need it?!
Reaction score
I had my 1st ever bike accident on the way home from watching some racing at Donington yesterday, im ok 1st of all but it kinda scared the sh1t out of me!! Had only done a few miles south on the M1 in the outside lane in traffic doing 60'ish I'd reckon when a 4x4 in front braked hard. Saw it late & just jumped on the front brake.........front wheel must of locked as the next thing I know im sliding down the out outside lane of the M1 finishing with a couple of rolls for good measure! Hopped up & jogged to bike 20 yds down the road & stood her up to inspect. Scratched the hell out of the left hand side but the I've got crash protector bars which did their job of saving it from being worse. Will need some new bodywork, new left mirror, front left indicator, engine casing, gear selector lever & rear foot rest. As for me i've scratched the left hip of my leathers & some scrapes to the helmet. My left glove though wore through on the palm as I slid along the road & lost some skin about the size of a 2p coin from the palm near the wrist. Hurts like **** unsurprisingly, made clutch lever use a little difficult! No mechanical damage thank god as managed to make it the 130'ish miles home, all be it somewhat slower than it took me to get up there!

I count my lucky stars it wasnt any faster or that I didnt hit anything nor anything hit me! 2 following cars stopped to help which was good of them, helped calm me down no end. Could have been so so much worse given I was on a motorway! And to top the day off the british rider who was meant to do well crashes at the 1st corner of the race & finished last...........should of stayed at home and watched it on the telly!!

Glad to hear your ok fella I've just started riding, been buying gear over the last two weeks, looks like yours has worked!!

Ouch!! Glad no major damage to you. Wait 'till tomorrow, when the bumps and bruises make their presence felt!

Imagine if you had been one of those f**kwits I keep seeing in short & teeshirt!!

Cheers,

Damn man, good to see you're ok. I like bikes but would never ride one myself or piggy back with someone else, the idea of me flying across the motorway is one of the main reasons I refuse to ride them.

Once again good to see you're ok, as i could have been a lot worse

Good job you had your leathers on. I'd never even ride to end of my street without mine on.

Makes cringe when I see people riding in shorts and flip-flops.

Hey Dude, glad to hear you are ok and it wasnt anything worse!!!

As you said, count your lucky stars, as i personally know people that have had bike accidents, who have either come off ALOT worse, or in one particular case, didnt make it at all!!!

Just get the rest and get well soon :)

you lucky man, glad you ok and that you wear the correct gear. I am having a devil of a job getting my son to wear his stuff on his moped,i know they dont go fast, but your accident is testament to the importance of wearing the right gear.

I bet the Mrs wants to ban you from it now??

damn. that does sound lucky you didnt bounce off anything... good to hear you could ride on fella. Take it easy!

Cheers all, I do feel like someone was looking down on me yesterday! Without a doubt having heavy duty leathers & an expensive AGV helmet saved my bacon! They've got to be replaced now as believe in the 1 strike & they're out policy on safety equipment. Been hunting on ebay for parts as I reckon I can fix her up for not a lot, certainly cheaper than an insurance claim!

@ Biglockie, buy the best gear you can afford, thin summer leathers would of shredded in my case yesterday! Also, make sure you fit crash bung protectors on the main frame & bar ends, without these my bike would of been a write off without a doubt!

@Byzan A4, i'll post a few pics for you to show your son, mopeds dont go that fast but boucing down the road in a t-shirt & jeans would cause unthinkable damage even at 20-30mph.

Just bought some alpine star gloves and a textile jacket from Heine gerick, its just till I get off the 125 then I'llget some decent leathers and back protector. Just bough my helmet on sat fella, ended up gettin a shark RSR, was just over £350 but can you put a price on yer head??

Thank god you're okay mate - that's a shocking tale! Glad you didn't hit anything too, that would have been much worse.

Crikey! hope you're feeling ok now. Thank God you were sensible and wore the correct gear. I dread to think otherwise.

Just bough my helmet on sat fella, ended up gettin a shark RSR, was just over £350 but can you put a price on yer head??

Amen to that! Mine is an AGV made from carbon/kevlar so ultra light weight but still verging on bullet proof, got a deal at a show a few years ago on it as it was last seasons colours (like I care!) Considering it hit the M1 tarmac its just got a few scratches, still going to have to replace it though, just dont trust "used" safety gear!!

Glad you are OK mate just goes to show good gear saves lives, as some one said earlier makes me cringe when you see **** heads riding in shorts and t shirts.

Glad your ok mate.
Like my old instructor told me if a cow can scratch its **** on barbed wire its good enough for me wear lol. also said whats the difference between falling of a scooter at 40mph and a superbike at 40 ....wear them

As has been said, glad to hear your ok mate! I bet it was scary as hell! I rememeber the first (and only) time I rolled a car :scared2:

Amen to that! Mine is an AGV made from carbon/kevlar so ultra light weight but still verging on bullet proof, got a deal at a show a few years ago on it as it was last seasons colours (like I care!) Considering it hit the M1 tarmac its just got a few scratches, still going to have to replace it though, just dont trust "used" safety gear!!

Tried the AGV but my melon is the wrong shape for it LOL. What do ya recon to the SHARP testing??

Took some pics tonight when I got home as I know how much people on here like their pics!! It also serves as a warning to wear the best protection you can afford all the time you ride!

DoningtonMotoGP2008167.jpg
DoningtonMotoGP2008170.jpg
DoningtonMotoGP2008166.jpg
DoningtonMotoGP2008169.jpg
DoningtonMotoGP2008165.jpg
DoningtonMotoGP2008168.jpg
DoningtonMotoGP2008172.jpg
DoningtonMotoGP2008174.jpg
DoningtonMotoGP2008175.jpg
DoningtonMotoGP2008173.jpg

Looking at the fairing & seat unit I reckon they can be filled & repainted as the scratches arent that deep. That reduces the shopping list to engine casing, mirror, set of indicators, crash protectors, handle bar ends, clutch lever, gear selector & rear foot peg. Leathers & gloves are certainly ******, although they did their job (note the trousers bum, glad thats very thick leather right there!!), if only the glove hadnt worn through then my hand wouldnt of been gouged! Helmet isnt too bad but think its gotta be replaced, wouldnt like to think of it shattering should I ever come off again because its lost any strength from this crash!

All in all its not going to be too much cost wise to fix the bike, just the clothing thats going to hurt the wallet!

At least your safe - I'd agree about the helmet, just bin it and buy another.
Looks like the crash bungs have done a good job - I might have to get a set of those.

If I ever come off mine - I'd do the same.

Looks like the bike damage is quite light really which is good. The road rash pics are scary though, its bad enough to see on a bike and your gear, but imagine it on your skin ...... :(

Glad to hear your alright mate.. one of best m8s lost his leg knee down last year because of a bike accident, my other mates little brother got hit on a roundabout few months ago and only has 60% of his right foot useage left, cant run again, forever limping.. he's 16.

Also surprised i didnt see more crashes yesterday, driving back on the M1 southbound after inters...there wer soo many bikes, saw a few close shaves.

Take it easy bro, and goes for all those bikers out there.

Glad to hear you're okay. Isn't it you're not a true rider until you've had your knee down? If you hadn't before I think, technically, you should qualify for that now! ... as well as your hands, body, head, elbows!! :)

Damage to the bike doesn't look all that bad really, could have been a lot worse... My cousins GSXr1000 after a little high speed spill:

GSXR1000.jpg

As you can see seat subframe has gone (had snapped so rest been taken off), exhaust gone, all fairings knackered, part of the gearbox casing on the other side (I think it was gearbox, dunno if it actually was) had completely worn through losing all oil (fortunately engine had cut out), tank was dinted, several parts on the front had either snapped or bent (like the hangers etc) and the usual damage to the rear sets and brake/gear levers etc.

Walked away from it without a scratch, just some friction burns! Its all back together good as new now in Rizla Suzuki colours!

If I were you I'd try to repair the bike yourself... especially the fairing, they are ****** expensive, even second-hand. Possibly going to be far, far cheaper in the long run than an insurance job... all depends though if you don't mind your bike being off the road for a bit longer and can afford the initial expense. Mind you, my cousin and his old man did it themselves as it would have probably been written off otherwise, even though it was all repairable.

Still, the main thing is your okay!!

Happy days........................found a breaker with all the bits I need to replace! £170 delivered for clutch lever, mirror, engine casing, front foot peg with gear selector & rear foot peg! A lot better than the £290 I was quoted for brand new! Add another £85 for new crash bungs & handle bar ends plus a little bit for the bodywork respray I reckon she'll be good as new for about £300, not bad considering really!!
eusa_dance.gif

Good work on finding the bits, and thanks for the pics, i will show my sone when he comes home. I hope he learns from your unfortunate inident

Ooh bad luck, just to point out to you, you would have only been like 5 minutes away from where I live. How interesting is that?!?!?!

Sure everything will work out for you and your bike. At least you are ok. You are aren't you? :unsure:

Sounds close to where I stay when I goto donnington -

My wife has family who live in shepshed, so I usually drive down in the car and then get a lift via the backroads to donnington

Jeez mate! I know it's a spot of bad luck (and of course unfortunate circumstance) that caused the accident, but it appears that your stars were out that day bud! Well, that and as yourself and the rest have noted, good judgement in purchasing the right tools for the job.

I've never really done the two-wheel thing much myself, my old ma would skin me alive if she found out I was serious about it; but I'm certain if I did I'd be wanting to persue it similarly to yourself...

I was 'moved out of the way' only this afternoon as I proceeded along the M4 at 'some' miles per hour in my big wheel-in-each-corner, air-bags all over the place, crumple-zones and head-restraints works' bus by some chump on what looked to be a CBR1000 or similar doing WELL over a ton, creeping right up to what must've been less than six feet from my back bumper... I considered the possibilities quickly... Something happens, and either a) I hit the brakes and he rides through the back-window, b) I hit the brakes, so does he, and he flies through the back-window, or c) I move over ASAP and let him chase his wooden-overcoat somewhere else... I went for (c) ... As he passed and accelerated back to foolish-mph, I noted he was wearing no gloves, a Reebok tracksuit top and shorts, and some trendy trainers. Imagine how much more dangerous he'd be with a brain...

Once again, glad you're OK mate - hope you get the bike sorted without much fuss!

Regards,

Rob.

Ooh bad luck, just to point out to you, you would have only been like 5 minutes away from where I live. How interesting is that?!?!?!

Sure everything will work out for you and your bike. At least you are ok. You are aren't you? :unsure:

Oh, if i'd known that I would of come over for a cuppa & cup cake before heading home! Im sure that would of made the 130 odd miles to get home much more comfortable!! And yes im totally ok, my hand is healing nicely & the aches have virtually all gone now. Luckily im a fit & strong person mentally & physically so I should brush this off ok. Looking forward to tinkering away & fixing the bike up to be honest!

As he passed and accelerated back to foolish-mph, I noted he was wearing no gloves, a Reebok tracksuit top and shorts, and some trendy trainers.

This is all too common a sight, saw plenty of this myself on sunday. I've always said if I go anywhere other than just round the corner that involves going anywhere near national speed limit I would fully clothe up in leathers. There are some horror pics i've seen of people who havent & crashed, tarmac + skin + speed = an unbelievably horrific mess. Not clever at all!

I've had umpteen crashes, but the worst I had was on my beloved RD500LC.
Going along the local main road, nice summer night.
Headlight on, doing not much over the 40mph limit (ahem...)
Was aware of a black Porsche 911 turbo facing me, waiting to turn right into a driveway.
Next thing "BANG....silence...ooh, what was that...OOF! OW! OW! OOF! OW! OW!"
Yup, the woman hadn't seen me and had turned across my path.
My bike was minced, her whale-tail spoiler and bootlid were ripped off and her engine block was cracked.
Turns out she wasn't insured too!
They'd gone to a wedding, he'd got drunk.
He refused to leave their Porshce overnight so she drove home.
Unbeknown to her, the insurance company had written to her saying they didn't want to cover her.
She hadn't received the letter, so three years of court cases ensued.
All the time, I didn't get a penny.
Two broken wrists, compressed vertebrae, ripped off toenails etc.etc.
I eventually got settlement for the bike and enough compensation to get me set-up in my first house.
I've got a picture of the RD afterwards, somewhere.
I'll dig it out.

Ahhh dam! Badluck for you as I had Vanilla Cupcakes at the weekend. Doh!
God dammit I bet they tasted good! Perhaps you can post me one out of the kindness of your heart he he!!

I've had umpteen crashes............. eventually got settlement for the bike and enough compensation to get me set-up in my first house

I always used to say there was 2 reasons why bikers crashed a)they were doing something stupid and b) car drivers hitting them. I now have to add a 3rd option given sundays incident, c) just plain dumb unfortunate luck when something 1 in a million goes wrong! I expect at the time you were waiting for that 1st crash to be sorted out it was a pain in the bum but there was a silver lining to that cloud in the end!

I expect at the time you were waiting for that 1st crash to be sorted out it was a pain in the bum but there was a silver lining to that cloud in the end!

Depends how you view it.
I had months off work and I still suffer 20 years later (back pain, sore wrists).
I'd rather not have had the money, TBH.

Depends how you view it.
I had months off work and I still suffer 20 years later (back pain, sore wrists).
I'd rather not have had the money, TBH.

Fair point I suppose, good health is to be savoured.

I don't have a heart. :nyah:
You'd better get yourself off down that yellow brick road pronto & see if the Wizard of Oz can help you out, I hear he's quite good at this sort of thing!!:p

Bowfer thats f***ed up.. like that advert when the guy turns out and the bike goes into him.

Glad you got it sorted in the end.

Emotive as the subject matter is, can we remember to mind our P's and Q's (or rather F's and U's) please ladies and gents...

//R

Oooh spoooooky :unsure:

There was nothing spooky about there last time I went (maybe I'm looking in the wrong area????

I've been very lucky I've never fallen off (yet) - but my wife has.
Some old bint in our village reversed out of her drive without looking - right into my wifes bike..... :-(

With reference to wearing good gear, I can give that a hearty 'amen'.
Good fitting is equally important.
It disappoints me when I see people wearing good gear, but you can see the body armour flopping around their arms/knees.:(
You can get off the peg stuff altered by a number of people.
It's not expensive, but it gives that 'made to measure' feel and can improve the safety of the gear immensely.

As an aside, I remember my first experience of body armour.
It was in its infancy when I raced (little more than foam) and Kushitani sent me this experimental cotton undersuit, with their latest armour (twin stage foam with hard plastic shell) built-in.
Made you look like a right plum, until you pulled your leathers over it.
I highsided out of the Knockhill hairpin (who hasn't...) and landed in a heap.
I was amazed to find I wasn't injured, although a bit dazed.
My mate still reminds me that my quote to him was "it's like throwing yourself into sofa".:anbet:

So get armoured up (including a back protector!) and get it to fit properly!