How many miles would you expect for £40

Bong Water

In two minds
Reaction score
Of SUL in a 1.8T bearing in mind Quattro

Just interested to see the answers and would help me greatly

Please pay attention to the £40, full tanks is usless to me as I only ever top up with £40

Thanks

TBH I have no idea how many litres £40 would give me. I just tend to fill up and not look at prices too much. That way I wont complain when they go up a penny a day. Instead I have hissy fits when I notice its gone up 10p since I last decided to look! lol But I'd say around 350miles?

Well if i put £60, that normally gets me about 360 miles roughly, so working off those figures, £40 would get me about 240 miles, if that makes sense and helps.....

This is on a totally standard car BTW

130? That must be highly modded thats around 15-16 MPG I think!

I would of guessed around 240 miles too, think thats about 28MPG

Any more for anymore?

no, the car is just re-mapped but that hasnt had any effect on the economy. I could get more but i like to drive fairly quick and my driving is mainly urban. On longer runs i could probably get nearer 200 however driving very hard under 100 lol

@25mpg and using Shell V-Power fuel, I estimate around 170 miles for 40 squid.

You sure?

Think I might have made a mistake with my maths but not sure, I got 170 miles for 40 notes of Tesco99 but I make that around 20MPG? Which is why I think 240 would be more the correct figure but still not 100%

Need to do some maths!

£40 @ £1.179 per litre for petrol = 33.92 litres or 7.47 gallons. In my Toyota Prius, with an indicated average of 59mpg in and out of London, I could do nearly 441 miles; my old Focus ST170 which did 35mpg would do 261 miles if I still owned it and my old Puma (40mpg) would cover nearly 299 miles.

£40 @ £1.309 per litre for diesel = 30.56 litres or 6.73 gallons. In my Sportback 2.0TDI, with an indicated all-time average of 48.4mpg, I could do nearly 326 miles.

Those fuel prices were what I saw this morning on the way to work.

With you're calculation my MPG rises to 22, still thats bad. Basically I am getting 170ish miles to £40 of SUL. I have my car booked in at a cost of £60 to have it inspected but cant really afford it right now as trying to save for new wheels and tyres before my current ones become illegal.

I am basically trying to justify the inspection by making sure my maths has not cocked up but it still looks like there is something wrong.

I have a 1.8T quattro. Put 30 quid in (26 litres) and done 200 miles on it. That was 50 in town and 150 on a long run.
That was regular unleaded tho.

Prob about 160 miles.

Which is ****.

You sure?

Think I might have made a mistake with my maths but not sure, I got 170 miles for 40 notes of Tesco99 but I make that around 20MPG? Which is why I think 240 would be more the correct figure but still not 100%

No, my calculations are correct based on 25mpg and 130.9p/litre, the exact figure I got was 168miles, and I'm usually averaging just over 25mpg, so I said around 170 miles.

How many miles would you expect for £40?

How long is a piece of string?

Get a diesel.

How many miles would you expect for £40?

How long is a piece of string?

Get a diesel.

Around 220

However long you want it to be

No

Thanks for the info everyone else

:cool:

Thanks for the info everyone else

:cool:

Sorry that was sarcasm...

Have you done the usual things ie check tire pressure/remove roof rack/empty junk from boot? They all seem minor things but combined they do make a small difference and with fuel prices as they are these days its worth doing.

I doubt the Quattro helps towards your mpg.

Probably the best way would be to fill to the brim and reset the odometer on the 1st of the month, try not booting it on roundabouts and away from the lights which is hard to resist with a turbo fitted... :cool:

Once the low fuel alarm goes off that means you have hit the reserve (I think) which is listed in the manual, deduct the reserve from the tank capacity and this will give you a slightly rough/accurate figure to base your workings on, better than guesstimating from £40 in the tank now and then....

Thanks for the info some helpful tips. I decided to run a test as I started to notice the bad MPG, I put £40 of fuel in as soon as the fuel warning came on and reset the odometer, last time I got 170ish miles, I am on the second fill up of £40 and the odometer is showing 100 miles into the £40 of fuel and the trip computer shows 75 miles of fuel to go so its the same thing again. I am driving very conservatively with only the occasional bit of boost, just to see how the far the fuel will go. I am very confused by the car doing 170 miles to £40 of fuel it just doesnt seem right considering the way I am driving it. I just dont want to spend £60 on a diagnostic check to be told there is nothing wrong and realise I am just crap at maths!! :uhm:

I wouldn't use Tesco crap either. Treat the old girl to a full tank of V Power, and it'll save you money in the long run as you'll get a few extra miles to the gallon. Also only putting half a tank in is a false economy as well.

Tried both, I prefer Tesco99, I beleive they come from the same place anyway

No they don't, and as stated you can't just switch between the two and expect to notice the difference. The ECU needs time to work out how to use the fuel, so a couple of tanks at least.

Fair enough but I cant see it being relevent to this particular problem as it wouldnt make such as large a difference as being discussed here in MPG

As it stands I still think my car consumes more fuel than it should for the way it is being driven, it is again, going to return 170 miles for £40 of fuel and considering the way I am driving it I think there may be a problem somewhere and unfortunatley have to spend £60 to find out what that problem is :(

You may need to do your own calculation rather than rely on the DIS, cause doent that just record depending on your last 5 mins of driving??

I have, thats what I have been doing for the past 2 weeks! As explained above, I do forgive you for not wanting to read it all though!

Apparently its down to needing a new MAF and coolant sensor even though I replaced my coolant sensor 2 month ago :(

Hopefully the MAF will sort out my fuel bill as its doing my head in!!! :scared2:

I have, thats what I have been doing for the past 2 weeks! As explained above, I do forgive you for not wanting to read it all though!

oops, sorry Bong! I probably did read it at some point, but have a crappy memory capacity possibly from too much of you in my youth!

Ha, I didnt know drinking bong water had an effect on the memory, I shall take heed and steer well clear if offered any!

In all serious though and if you are being serious, it is pretty grim, I get a call to go and fix something, start reading threads on here and then get another call asking where I am because I totally forgot, ah well, they dont pay me enough anyway

yes, I am being serious... its terrible.. bad memory leaves me with a huge reliance on my phone / computer for EVERYTHING!