Is it me or are people driving more slowly because of high fuel prices?

benw123

Reaction score
For the second weekend in a row, I went out on a long journey to see some family along mostly motorways and A-road dual carriageways. I normally set cruise control at around 80mph and was really surprised at the number of cars I was passing. Talking about it here in the office, a few of my colleagues thought the same - anyone else noticed this? Maybe the high fuel prices are making drivers think about how they drive.

Yes I think this is true. As you say cruising at 80mph not many cars will be over-taking you. I do a fair bit of motorway mileage and it certainly does seem to be the case that avergae speeds have slowed somewhat.

Due to having 9 points on my licence I set my cruise at no more than 75, A year ago I felt like a mobile chicane with everyone overtaking me. That is not the case these days.

High fuel prices are certainly starting to bite I think. Consumer confidence is low, as is spending in the high street. Inflation must surely be on the way up? Recession and interest rate rise around the corner?

I noticed this about a month ago! Set cruise at 70mph and see how few cars overtake you.....? Of course it is a bad thing, people drive slower, cops get less revenue from speeding, so they tax fuel more to compensate........!

Its really sad but i have been !
Changed my route to and from work too, its 0.7 miles longer but i do most of it at about 40mph without having to stop start (i do almost all city driving)
by doing this and driving more carefully im now getting over 100miles more out of a tank of fuel
so boring though, takes so much concentration and self control to drive slowly and carefully for a whole tank of fuel !

Mine is all mainly motorway driving and i decided to drive slow last week, but got bored, so carried on at the normal motorway speed of 70, but to be honest I havent really noticed people driving slower.

I find the carefull driving in the car helps to compensate for burning through tanks of fuel in record time when riding my bike.:arco:

I find the carefull driving in the car helps to compensate for burning through tanks of fuel in record time when riding my bike.:arco:

Im of much the same mind, spooky as we own exactly the same bike bar colour!! Even when I had the A4 3.0 qs I never really booted the back side out of it unless I was in a hurry, my thinking was its better & fuel & straining components less decreases the chance of something failing.

Even now in my little Smart Roadster im playing to try & get the economy as high as possible, currently im running it in full auto mode and trying to use as little turbo boost as possible, as well as cruising at max 60-65. On course for 55mpg+ I reckon! This is just out of interest to be honest though to see what the car will do, i'll no doubt on the next fill up revert to using the flappy paddle tiptronic gear change and a heavier right foot, still will get over 50mpg though which isnt bad considering the huge smile that comes with it!!!!

I do like to make progress in the car too, its just that filling it up with diesel for almost £70 now makes me so angry that its forcing me to squeeze as many miles as possible. Especially as the car is the workhorse etc....thrashing it just seems wrong.

Whereas the bike on the other hand is there purely as a toy, its there to be hammered around as quickly as my bravery will allow and its all there for fun, i dont smoke or drink (that much...ish) so the bike is my treat to myself. If i waste tank after tank so be it. Its just too addictive to stop. And it loves to be revved and ridden hard, its what its made for.
(looks very cool in electric blue too!!)

Whereas the bike on the other hand is there purely as a toy, its there to be hammered around as quickly as my bravery will allow and its all there for fun, i dont smoke or drink (that much...ish) so the bike is my treat to myself. If i waste tank after tank so be it. Its just too addictive to stop. And it loves to be revved and ridden hard, its what its made for.
(looks very cool in electric blue too!!)

I've exactly the same attitude! Your in a lovely part of the country for twisty roads and scenery thats for sure! Always wanted a blue ninja, was originally was looking at the J2 model but managed an underhanded cash deal to get my little baby! Running a Blue Flame tri-oval exhaust, Renthal tail tidy, min-LED indicators, steering damper, Harris iridium screen, single seat hump plus some custom white vinyl graphics.......love it. Looking forward to the ride up to Donningto for the MotoGP this coming sunday, last time i went joined a procession in the outside lane of the M1 doing what I shall say may or may not of been legal speeds past all the coppers on traffic duty, not one of them blinked an eye as there's sod all you can do about 100's of bikes going past at an undisclosed speed!!

it maybe all the inaccurate spedo`s out there, my S3 is within 2 or 3 mph at 80-90 but the wifes mk5 golf reads 90 when doing only 80.

so boring though, takes so much concentration and self control to drive slowly and carefully for a whole tank of fuel !

I agree exactly! I really try to drive steadily to and from work and it does make a difference - but I haven't go the dedication to do it for too long! One day I will endeavour to to it for a whole tank and see how many miles I can get out of a tankful! Fuel is starting to be a real issue now - I genuinely need to weigh up whether or not I can afford to go places now :3sadwalk:

The price of fuel now means i will probably never buy another petrol powered car, id love to treat myself and buy something really powerfull, something like and S4 or even some thing really different like Z4 coupe 3.2 but i know i just could live with the cost of filling it it up and watching it run out so quickly.

At least with the diesel if needs be i can make decent progress but for the bulk of the time i can just keep squeezing more and more miles per gallon out of her.

The price of fuel now means i will probably never buy another petrol powered car

I thought that too but my Prius uses unleaded, and since petrol costs around 15p a litre less than diesel, with its better economy over my Sportback TDI (60mpg versus 45mpg in and out of London) I'm saving over a tenner a week in fuel costs.Anyway, glad I wasn't the only one thinking the world is slowing down! At least it should save lives...

its just theres more diesel drivers... everyone knows they are tight *****!! :eiertritt:

:undwech:

Due to the amount of traffic and the price of fuel I think a small petrol turbo charged engine like the 1400 VAG unit will be a consideration for me next, I would really like another 1.8T Quattro A4 in a newer shape but its costing me a fortune inn fuel mainly because my commute is busy A and B roads

Due to the amount of traffic and the price of fuel I think a small petrol turbo charged engine like the 1400 VAG unit will be a consideration for me next, I would really like another 1.8T Quattro A4 in a newer shape but its costing me a fortune inn fuel mainly because my commute is busy A and B roads

Its going to be a consideration for many I think to switch to smaller cars this year, many households have 2 large cars when 1 large & 1 small would be plenty and more costly. For some years now Japan has produced small engined turbo cars for the home market. Suzuki tried to sell their little Cappucino 2 seater cabrio to little success for some years over here, Daihatsu do the little Copen with a folding metal roof. Thing with small cars is they need to be cheap to buy in the 1st instance. My Smart Roadster cost £17,100 new to the original owner, I know because I saw the original invoice when I bought it!!

Even now in my little Smart Roadster im playing to try & get the economy as high as possible, currently im running it in full auto mode and trying to use as little turbo boost as possible, as well as cruising at max 60-65. On course for 55mpg+ I reckon! This is just out of interest to be honest though to see what the car will do, i'll no doubt on the next fill up revert to using the flappy paddle tiptronic gear change and a heavier right foot, still will get over 50mpg though which isnt bad considering the huge smile that comes with it!!!!

Update on this, filled up last night and I got 57mpg from the last tank and that included at least 1 dose of hard acceleration per day plus a run out with a mate for a few miles to show how much fun the roadster is on the twisties! Reckon I could hit 60mpg if I did neither of these things!!

its just theres more diesel drivers... everyone knows they are tight *****!! :eiertritt:

:undwech:

Dear oh dear :aggressive:

Costs have gone up more for us black smoggers....and although at first tried a couple of days of pootling about - came to the decision that it couldn't be done - so gave up personal hygene instead, saves a few bob there :)

Is it me or are people driving more slowly because of high fuel prices?

I'm not.

its true i live in london and people are just driving slow now,I guess the fuel price is hitting everyone@ 1.20p per litre for unleaded.

Shell is empty over here now, I had to go to BP and fill up 130.9p/l(Shell over the road is 127.9p!), amazingly, I managed 47mpg running Shell V-Power diesel with the air con off 50% off the time, compared to my usual 40mpg using normal diesel with aircon on all the time!

Shell is empty over here now, I had to go to BP and fill up 130.9p/l(Shell over the road is 127.9p!), amazingly, I managed 47mpg running Shell V-Power diesel with the air con off 50% off the time, compared to my usual 40mpg using normal diesel with aircon on all the time!

Do you mean you used BP Ultimate Diesel given the Shell garage was out of fuel?! In any case I expect its more to do with the air con being off rather than much if any benefit from the different diesel. Premium diesel dosent work the same way as premium petrol because of the way its ignited in the engine, its just meant to be cleaner than standard diesel.

I think people are driving pretty quickly to be honest! I stick the cruise on at 75 and people are forever whizzing past me in little micras and fiestas. At 80 though you seem to overtake more than be overtaken. Wierd how different 5 mph can be!

Do you mean you used BP Ultimate Diesel given the Shell garage was out of fuel?! In any case I expect its more to do with the air con being off rather than much if any benefit from the different diesel. Premium diesel dosent work the same way as premium petrol because of the way its ignited in the engine, its just meant to be cleaner than standard diesel.

Nono, my last 2 tanks of fuel was Shell V-power diesel @132.9p/l, which is 5% more expensive over normal stuff, so I wanted to see if I would get 5% more range, and I reckon it's 10-15% better, but I have been messing around with the aircon button aswell...

Basically, I am in effect, trying to use less fuel.

Nono, my last 2 tanks of fuel was Shell V-power diesel @132.9p/l, which is 5% more expensive over normal stuff, so I wanted to see if I would get 5% more range, and I reckon it's 10-15% better, but I have been messing around with the aircon button aswell...

OIC! You said you wanted to lose 3 stone somewhere so perhaps walking more places could combine your wish to use less fuel & lose weight!!!!

So you think th the Shell V-power is economical then in the long term?? I will after give it a go and see what happens....

Yes I do think that some people are driving more slowly due to the price of fuel, but unfortunately it seems to highlight more idiots on the road that don’t know actually how to drive efficiently. Most are simply of the belief that driving at say 5 or 10 mph below the posted limit is more efficient. These people are still racing away from the traffic light and doing the hard braking at lights / roundabouts / junctions and not looking ahead and planning their route. These bunches are doing nothing to help their fuel efficiency of their car or those behind them - merely causing frustration to those behind them. The same group I tend to find who now decide to sit in lane three of the motorway at 70 mph and refuse to move to lane 2 or 1 even if it’s clear.

Richard

I am definately driving slower these days - prices are terrible and the only way to get value for money is to drive like a granny:(

I've just started turning the aircon off a bit by putting it onto eco, and opening the window, you can forget how nice it is to have the windows open.

I've just started turning the aircon off a bit by putting it onto eco, and opening the window, you can forget how nice it is to have the windows open.
You're probably not saving anything doing that - open windows increase drag!