Help. Dustcaps stuck on alloys!

A3_Turbo

Swaying towards IHI....
Reaction score
Any idea on the above?

Ive got metal Dust-caps stuck on my alloys everything ive tried doesnt move them.

Any ideas? Or do i have to visit the local cowboys @ kwik-fit?

J

Try some WD40 on them, they have a tendancy to do that, i hope they werent the freebies off the fast car magazine, cz i know someone that couldnt get them off at all and in the end changed his tyres!!! Worst case scenario of course........

Let us know how you get on.

Have you tried heating them a touch with a hairdryer or heatgun, they might expand ,, just a thought

Thanks for the replies i'll give the WD and Hairdryer a go, Best thing for removing them with? A pair of plyers i guess?

J

Am I missing something? (won't be the first time)!

Do you mean the metal dust caps are stuck onto the valve stems? As mentioned either WD40 or some heat should help - if not then perhaps gentle use of mole grips, perhaps wrapping a cloth round the valve cap so you don't scratch them anymore than is avoidable :think:

quattrojames, i dont think he will be keeping them after this experience..lol....

a3-turbo

get a set of pliers or as mentioned mole grips on there, should do the trick

If he likes the caps and wants to keep them, I reckon a dab of copperslip on the thread prior to fitting them would sort it :hi:

I have had this problem too. It occured when I went for new tyres. We had to cut the valves in the end as the aluminium cap corrodes istelf to the valve.

I would try heat too but obviously be careful of the valves itself.... You might have to think about new valves if you can't get them off.

Use two pairs of pliers mate. one to stop the valve turning (molegrips might be better here, and one to unscrew the caps. I had this problem with a set of anti-theft spin caps that got clogged with road grime. They got tossed after they finally came off. The ironic thing is that there was no way anyone was going to steal them lol.

Mine stuck on a couple of weeks ago and I couldn't shift them with molegrips even, the whole valve just turned round, I ended up cutting through them slowly with the dremmel then once the valve thread was just visible I prised them open with a flat screwdriver.