'As long as you have a base you can always add to it' My mum gave me three base sauces, so that you can add whatever you want to it to make a meal. More than likely you will have these ingredients in your cupboards, the first is the red one:
1 x Onion (diced)
1 x Red Pepper (diced)
1 x Yellow Pepper (diced)
1 x Tin of Chopped tomatoes
1 x Vegetable Stock Cube
Salt & Peppper
Preparation: 5 mins
Cooking time: 5 mins
1. Heat up your pan and melt the butter until it starts sizzling
2. Add the onion, lower the heat and allow to brown slightly - add some pepper
3. Add the peppers in and turn the heat up slightly to allow them to cook, once they have turned slightly paler lower the heat.
4. Add Chopped tomatos and season accordingly - give it a good stir
5. Don't allow to boil and add the stock cube to thicken up and for taste.
6. Lower heat and serve
Best used with a Chicken dish, though you can quickly add some ham to make a sauce for some pasta or rice. It works very well as a tomato base for a pizza, or plonk it on a slice of bread add the toppings and stick under a grill.
You can freeze this or it can hold well in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Next the white one...