Insomnia

karl7900

Reaction score
Anybody else have trouble sleeping at night?

This last month or so I've not been able to get a decent nights sleep for love nor money. I've been in bed since 11o,clock on Sunday night and its now after 3 on Monday morning, and though I feel completely shattered, I just can't get to sleep.:mad:

I went through this years ago for about 6months and really hope its not going to be like that again. It really hits you in the middle of the day when your trying to get things done.

So, has anybody any tips on how to break this cycle I'm in. I'm already avoiding sleeping during the day, no matter how tired I am, and drunken slumber just isn't the same.

Ta in advance from the one man wide awake club.:blink:

Funny you should say that! (looks at watch).

Have you got anything on your mind that's preventing you from sleeping?

I frequently have nights of intermittent sleep and it boils down to issues at work. I've slept well for the last 7 days and managed to put some niggling problems to the back of my head whilst I've been on holiday but now find that the good old routine has kicked in again on the night before I'm due back!! I've not checked my emails all week and dread to think what new disater I'm going to go back too!

Obviously I can't give you some tips as I'm sitting here with the same problem but if there is anything on your mind you need to get to the root of it and sort it. Mines simple (ish).. look for a new job lol...

I wake on average at half five which isn't too bad but this morning my neighbours volvo alarm went off and it took him five minutes to switch it off at three......the donut.

Been here matey, feel your pain!

Drink is good for getting you off to sleep and releiving whatever is on your mind in the first few hours, but your body tends to wake you up in the middle of the night when you sober up. Then you lie awake thinking of all the stuff going on, and can;t get back off.
Mild exercise, staying off the booze, and kicking the no-good woman out of your life and resorting to living afor you.

I found some relaxing music helps, and concerntrate on that and breathing in and out (sounds daft) but it will put you out good!

PM me and ill hook you up with some mint chill out Tai Chi cd's I train to!

yeah, I had this problem quite often some times ago, and it was mostly down to other issues going on in the 'subconscious'.

I did find that listening to music like Mattfinn said, on a low low volume started to work for me. Mostly though it had to be music without words, else I found myself thinking of the words to the songs as I tried to sleep. I also started Yoga at the gym and used some of those techniques which worked for me but the missis didnt enjoy the heavy breathing so much! :whip:

Anyway, ambient and chillout dance are now on a playlist on my ipod called night night. ;)

Good luck tho... have a warm milk or summat before bed too... see if that does anything... hated it myself, but it worked some some I hear! ;)

Its horrible aint it, feels like your going mad whilst trying to sleep, time goes really quickly and your headed buzzes. I had it a lot in my early 20's and still get it every now and again. I find a cup of hot chocolate or Horlicks helps and when I am desperate ill knock back two Iburofen and they usually work, sometimes though nothing will work and I just have to deal with it, it was stress related with me and its always bad if I have to do something important the next day or I know I have to be up early etc, its sucks but you aint alone, every car forum I have been a member of in the passed years has an insomnia thread!

I sometimes dont sleep that well either. If it is caused by things on your mind then try just writing down everything that is on your mind on a piece of paper before you go to bed. This can help if the brain decides it no longer needs to keep those things in your head, and sometimes makes you sleep better. hope you find some relief tho dude...not sleeping is a pain:thumbsup:

Getting into a regular sleep pattern helps - I know cos I work shifts and my body clock is :keule:

burn yourself out, physically , go out on bike or heavy gym session, try unwind around 8 ish, seriously though i read while ago if you go to docs about it, they tell you to play with yourself,before they would prescribe you something. the chemicals released put you out. tried and tested i can vouch for it.....................................

and no not play in doctors surgery before one of you people read that the way i did.............

As i was saying....

I find reading in bed really helps me get to sleep. As long as the book isn't too good cos then i can't put it down!

Some good responses here guys, and a very common concern.
I find as one thing improves, another goes tits up! Work goes well, get on with missus, then split up with missus, and my car gets sold, and on and on lol!
Tai Chi is awesome, some may laugh at it, but it helps the soul.

Thanks for all the replies lads. Some very good advice here for anyone who has'nt had this before. Like I said, I went through this a few years ago but up until recently had been sleeping great.

I have had a lot on my mind recently which is the obvious cause of this. I'm not going to go into detail here because of the personal nature but suffice to say it is consuming me at the moment. I know with time it will get easier. I just have to put up with this rough patch for now.:(

I have bought new pillows as the old ones were a bit worse for wear and I'm avoiding sleeping during the day.I already have a good sleep routine in that I get up about the same time everyday for work and I am trying to stick to going to bed at the same time too. I also find a couple of Piriton antihistimine tablets shortly before bed make me drowsy too.

Again, thanks for all the advice.

Mattfinn, I shall PM you later when I get a bit more time. A bit of relaxing music sounds like just the ticket.

i read while ago if you go to docs about it, they tell you to play with yourself,before they would prescribe you something. the chemicals released put you out. tried and tested i can vouch for it.....................................

LOOOOOL that made me laugh soo hard mate. I'd agree to the whole working out and generally trying yourself out, but playing with your self?!? thats a first. But I guess whatever helps would be good enough :thumbsup: