Parent/Child parking bays

Is it morally right to park in a parent/child bay when you have no kids with you?

• Yes, it's morally right to park in them even without children in the car.

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • No, it's morally wrong to park in them without children in the car.

Votes: 42 71.2%

• Total voters

arthurfuxake

Controversial & Contradictive
Reaction score
Website
photobucket.com
Following on from a healthy debate in the A3 section, thought I'd get a general consensus on here.

Do you think it is morally right to park in a parent/child parking bay when you have no kids with you?

Just to clarify, I mean when there are "normal" parking bays available.

Try not to get into the debate on this thread, a simple vote will suffice.
The debate can be engaged in here:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=47463

Sorry Lottie, I added the "Just to clarify, I mean when there are "normal" parking bays available." bit after you replied.

I do it all the time haha.... in the early hours of the morning though, like 12-2AM when the carparks empty, surely you shouldn't be taking your kids to do the shopping in those hours right? But during the day is a definitely NO!

I do it all the time haha.... in the early hours of the morning though, like 12-2AM when the carparks empty, surely you shouldn't be taking your kids to do the shopping in those hours right? But during the day is a definitely NO!

HAHAHA, I didn't think about that! I'll have to think of a thousand different caveats to this poll then.

I mean when there are"normal" parking bays available.
During "normal" shopping hours.
During full moon, half moon or quarter moon.
Except on the 30th February.
Except on mordengookday.
Except when the shop is closed.

I could go to the local supermarket at 2AM.
It could be the only available space is a parent and child.
I'd curse and drive away.
There are no scenarios where I would use a parent and child bay (or disabled) incorrectly.
I just couldn't, because it grips my crap when I see other people doing it.

Are you wanting us to "ok" this Jo and make you feel better by saying it doesn't matter that you are disrespeck-ting all muvva's and farva's with sprogs that may once in a blue moon fancy doing there shopping at 2am in the morning?

:nyah:

The 24HR Tesco's by me is Ma-hoo-sive with easily 20+ P+C spaces, I'm sure your late night parents wouldn't mind me parking in one :moa:

:respekt:

As per Bowfer, I would never park in a P+C space. Or a disabled space for that matter. I'm more inclined to park as far from the front door of the shop as possible in any case.

Oh - in that case then Arthurfuxate, then NO because even if someone has a fancy-whoopy-doo-shiny-spanky-***-car that doesn't give them a right to abuse the rules.

Lol.

Cheers.

Sorry Not having that one ! I park in them all the time Cos until Tesco and Co make the spaces bigger for normal parking I will allways do it ! Reason ?? Well the usual I suppose ! I dont want some ****** thumping My car with thier door and costing Me yet again for dent removals !

And Yes I do have A shiny car ! 2 in fact and thats the way they should stay !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Picture183.jpg

Picture130-3.jpg

I am always tempted to do it, as i permanantly have a car set in so it wouldnt look too suspicious...but having two kids, and knowing how much of a balls ache it is when there isnt a space close to the shops, i tend to just stick my car as far away from all the other cars as possible in the normal bays-

I will not park in them without the kids and will deliberatly block someone in that i see drop off without kids, shiney car or not. Sod em !! I like my car as untouched as anyone else but it boils my **** when i have my kids and cannot park in the parent/kid spaces cos someone cannot be bothered to park correctly

so thats why they are always full when I go ........
#

if im on my own I normally park at the far end of the car park away from everyone , or in 2 spaces.............

if im on my own I normally park at the far end of the car park away from everyone , or in 2 spaces.............

I parked in a literally empty carpark once, literally smack bang in the middle with no cars around me, and some **** parked his car next time mine, then his passenger followed up by opening the rear car door onto mine causing a ding onto my rear panel! :keule:

Explain that someone please! :mad:

We are talking about parking here aren't we?
How can anyone get annoyed or upset about this?
I park anywhere I like. Child/parent spaces are there for anyone to use as long as they have child seats in their car (which I do).
Disabled bays? If there's loads free then use them, but you do have to make a judgement call.
1. Do you know how incredibly easy it is to get a disabled parking badge? You can get one if you're slightly deaf!!!
2. There must be 20 disabled bays at the B&Q warehouse, I've never in my life seen anyone in a wheelchair/on crutches anywhere near the store. Just stupid IMO, so I'll use those as well.

I know there are some sad people out there who will suffer a brain haemorrhage at such an evil point of view, but get over it, it's just parking, you know that thing where I am bringing custom to the shop in question, paying their wages etc. I don't expect to have to walk half a mile passed 40 empty bays in order to keep their business in business.
So I'm going straight to hell & looking forward to it - the best music and the dirtiest women - what's not to like?

personnally i think they are a joke. Having worked in a supermarket as well and seen what the parking can get like to i find it amazing that these days parents argue they cant expect to have to walk a few extra metres and because they have kids they deserve special treatment.

Can we all just consider what life was like 10-15 years ago when a parking space was a parking space and if you couldnt park right outside the shop door you got over it and walked. Perhaps if everyone including mothers and kids walked a bit more we wouldnt be turning into the lazy fat society we are!

For gods sake why is it a dad cant take the kids to the park whilst mum goes off and does the shopping. That way you dont need have all this fuss over parking spaces, the kids will be happy as they wont be getting dragged round a shop, dad will be happy as he can get a break from listening to wife asking stupid questions about the price of cheese,the kids get some exercise and other people in the shop are happier because there are less of them and no screaming kids!!!! is that not a reasonable suggestion?!

The same goes for disabled spaces - honestly when was the last time you went to a supermarket and found there were 100 wheelchair users in there at the same time. yet how many car parks to you see now with hundreds of empty disabled spaces and especially with some car parks issuing fines to people who are not disabled but use the space things are getting crazy.

Well said, it's just another tick in the box to satisfy ludicrous EU legislation

i find it amazing that these days parents argue they cant expect to have to walk a few extra metres and because they have kids they deserve special treatment.

The same goes for disabled spaces - honestly when was the last time you went to a supermarket and found there were 100 wheelchair users in there at the same time. yet how many car parks to you see now with hundreds of empty disabled spaces and especially with some car parks issuing fines to people who are not disabled but use the space things are getting crazy.

Couple of points there.
Firstly, I'm a parent and use parent bays.
I don't expect parent bays to be closer to the shop and I don't expect special treatment in any way.
However, the fact of the matter is kids do need doors to be opened wide, so wider bays make sense.
If the shop decides to make them nearer the door, that's not my fault.

Secondly, you show me a supermarket with "hundreds" of disabled spaces.
That's just utter crap.
My wife used to have to take her blind father shopping.
As you can imagine, some twit in their precious polished motor taking up a space she should have been entitled to made her a tad angry.
You try getting a blind man in and out of a car in a normal bay.
Of course, using your logic, he should have stayed at home and my wife should have done it all for him, using a normal bay.
The fact is, he enjoyed the trip.
How dare he...
God forbid you ever get ill.:doctor:

I'm pleased and disappointed at the results.
Please that 75% of people still have morals.
Disappointed it's not higher.

I think Kerrly is missing the point of parent/child bays. They are there to give parents extra space to get there kids in and out of cars. A baby seat is quiet a bulky thing these days, and certainly the door on my car needs to be fully open to get the thing in and out. You try opening a door fully in "normal" parking bays. Also, buggies are also quite wide, so the bays are wider to allow the buggy to be placed near the car door, rather than in the traffic behind the car.

I bet you'd be might angry if someone parked next to you in a "normal" bay, and their 6 year old - eager to get out of the car - opens his door fully into the side of your car, or you get back to find a "maxi-cosi" indentation in your door panel.

If I were to go to the shops with my parents (I'm 34, they're in their 70's), can I use the parent and child spaces?

I'll park wherever's easier and if that's a parent and child space so be it. I'm not gonna go out of my way to do it but if the car park looks a bit busy and i'm felling lazy i've got no issue with it.

As AndyMac quite rightly says, we're paying for them!!!

If I were to go to the shops with my parents (I'm 34, they're in their 70's), can I use the parent and child spaces?

I thought of this one too Jas lol, whilst you are the children of your parents, I doubt you will pass as a child, but it would be interesting scenario for anyone who comes to have a word, and the suppose 'child' knocks him out! :box:

I parked in a literally empty carpark once, literally smack bang in the middle with no cars around me, and some **** parked his car next time mine, then his passenger followed up by opening the rear car door onto mine causing a ding onto my rear panel! :keule:

Explain that someone please! :mad:

Its the **** Factor Which is why I park wherever I like and to be brutaly honest I dont give a damn !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssuuuuuuuuuussssssssss all this noise about parking, just park miles away from door, walk, get the brats to walk ***. they have it too easy anyway. all exercise isnt it, i park away so i get longer too check out smart cars and chicks on my way to the store door...

jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssuuuuuuuuuussssssssss all this noise about parking, just park miles away from door, walk, get the brats to walk ***. they have it too easy anyway. all exercise isnt it, i park away so i get longer too check out smart cars and chicks on my way to the store door...

Wot he said.:icon_thumright:

jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssuuuuuuuuuussssssssss Auditek, catch a wake-up!!!!! Read the posts! It's not about who gets to park closest to the door. I couldn't care less where they put the parent/child spaces, I'd be happy with them at the furthest corner of the lot! All I want is to be able to open my rear door fully so that I can get the baby and car seat out of the car without tipping the baby out. It's imposible to open the rear door of my car fully in a "normal" sized parking space without bashing the neighbouring car. Parent/child spaces give extra room to open the door fully, and park the buggy frame next to the car so that I can stick the car seat straight into the buggy.

Simple answer NO, NO and NO again :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:
Agree. I have an 18-month-old son and trying to load him into the car with shopping too is difficult enough in normal parking spaces. Although I do admit they do protect the car, I still wouldn't do it if my son wasn't with me.

I suppose I should post my comment from the 'rants and raves' here really........ So here it is.

I'm intrigued to know on what basis supermarkets consider parents (or guardians or designated persons,, or other transgender species, etc etc) with kids deserving of better treatment than other shoppers......??

As for the disabled bays,,, I'm sure I'll be glad of one when my time comes....... But, are we really such a Nation of cripples, or is it (as has been suggested) that 'as usual' we're rolling over to some EU directive and painting a disabled sign in every third parking space.......!!

My very pregnant Mrs decided that she should be entitled to park in a P&C places (there are always loads empty) to save her walking so much. So a parent came and told her off saying its a 'Pushchair and child parking place' so my Mrs rightfully told her to get lost.
I think the bays nearer the supermarket should be for anyone who struggles with mobility and anyone who cant accept that is just selfish. Get off your lazy ***** and walk a bit further.
Its all a bit like road rage where people forget there manners when in a car, I bet you would all hold a door open for a mum with a pram or an OAP , but when in a car you feel the need to push to the front of the queue.
Your minds will change if you ever need a walking stick, wheelchair etc.

I'm intrigued to know on what basis supermarkets consider parents (or guardians or designated persons,, or other transgender species, etc etc) with kids deserving of better treatment than other shoppers......??

I think this was covered above JPO. It's the wider bays that are needed for parents with small children. Or it maybe for housewives who can't park!

I'll park wherever's easier and if that's a parent and child space so be it. I'm not gonna go out of my way to do it but if the car park looks a bit busy and i'm felling lazy i've got no issue with it.

P&C places are their because we need the extra space to fully open the doors! If you have taken up a P&C place and my kids foolishly put a dint in someones car, will you cover the repair cost? We all pay for the parking spaces, but probably when I go to the supermarket with my 4 kids I might end up paying a bit more than you.
I am only a part time parent so when I am on my own (even with child seats in the car) I will park in a 'normal' space.
Some of the selfish attitudes seen on this thread disgust me. What is wrong with any of us walking a bit further to the shops so that people who need it have appropriate space to park. Although I do agree that P&C spaces do not need to be near the shop entrance, all that is required is adequate space and if that means that me and the kids need to walk a bit further that is fine.

If your kids are old enough to open their own doors then you should be as "disgusted" with yourself as you are with the selfish attitudes posted on here. The additional space is for access for parents with pushchairs/buggies etc, not so unruly children can simply throw their doors open without a care or thought as to whats next to them. That's why it has a picture of a buggy in it!
And it's not the walking, although they are always nearest the front doors for some reason, it's the fact that otherwise you can end up driving round and round trying to find a space (talking about out of town superstores here, not your local Tesco Express), which personally I object to when there are 10 empty disabled bays, and half a dozen empty P&C spaces. I'll only park there is there are multiple spaces empty (I'm not a madman), if there's only one or two then I'll leave it, but this has never happened, which tells it's own story.

What a horrible individual you must be, P&C and disabled parking are a courtesy that we should all live by if we want a decent society. Try living life with a bit of public spirit you may find you enjoy it.
Also the supermarket pays for the carpark not us. They for obvious reasons allow us to park in their spaces and if they chose to lay out special spaces we should accept that or take our custom elsewhere.
I will rarely take a supermarkets side on anything but shopping in one doesnt mean you own any part of their carpark. By your logic we should be allowed to shoplift every now and again as "we paid for it".

If your kids are old enough to open their own doors then you should be as "disgusted" with yourself as you are with the selfish attitudes posted on here. The additional space is for access for parents with pushchairs/buggies etc, not so unruly children can simply throw their doors open without a care or thought as to whats next to them. That's why it has a picture of a buggy in it!
I agree with this in many ways,there has to be a point where you should stop using the special parking and leave it for those that do need it.

I've just finished reading through the post and agree and disagree with some of the comments.

The poll would have been more indicative of peoples behaviour if it was about disabled spaces. My mum is very disabled and needs help in and out of a car - she has a legitimate need for her blue disabled badge. The supermarkets parking near to where she lives - Asda, Sainsburys, Morrisons and Tesco all have disabled spaces the highest number at Asda 12 in total. It's difficult to park in these are they are usually filled by Corsas and Saxos. My dad once asked one of them politely if they could move to the empty part of the car park so he didn't have to push her wheelchair so far. He's not in the best of health either. He was on the end of a tirade of abuse which left him shaken and afraid to park and walk passed them. Is this the country we live in? Manners are free and generally people are happier when people are pleasant to one another.

I used P&C spaces when my kids were in cars seat and personally I found they helped for lifting babies/kids in and out with doors fully open. I would have hated to have damaged someones car by struggling to get my kids in and out of my car. I would have preferred if these spaces were further away from the store doors as human nature is that people will find the quickest and easiest route to accomplish their task - like drive their car into the shop and drive it aroung the aisles :) or park at the door. I personally prefer to park away from everyone else gathering at the door. For the ones on here who are able bodied that park in disabled spaces and with no kids with them that use P&C spaces I have seen irate people deliberately damage their cars so it's not always true that it safer to park in these wider bays.

I remember a few years ago parking in my local Tesco car park one Sunday morning - over 100 empty spaces - I parked in the middle of the car park not expecting anyone to park next to me. Before I could get out this man parked so close to my nearside that he dinged my car getting out. I did ask him why he did that considering the place was empty. He shrugged and walked off. People are sheep at times. Try it out, park in an empty area of a car park and guaranteed someone will park next to you.

So I think there should be spaces available for P&C but not on the doorstep of the supermarket. No points for the supermarket companies either. They should mark the bays with a larger area but we all know that the more cars they can squeeze in the higher the profits. They also have an annoying habit of fitting cash machines in front of the disabled spaces. Is this to make the issue worse?
Leave the spaces at the door and mark them as spaces made available for the ignorant and lazy.

A little bit of respect for others and their property and some common decency in society wouldn't go amiss.

BTW I love my new Audi :o.k:

Good thinking make the nearest spaces a free for all for the chavs and lazies to fight over, then the disabled parking and behind them normal bays and P&C areas.
But this means all the decent folk will have to walk past the chavs all fighting over the last of the lazy spaces!

OK, lets stick to P&C spaces. We all know that it is morally wrong to park in a disabled bay as an able bodied person, so there's no need for a poll for that. The P&C spaces are a bit more contentious, hence the poll.