DIY Help!!

Randomjim

Reaction score
Decided to put a punchbag up in my garage. Drilled into the wall, inserted rawl plugs. Lined up the bracket and started to tighten up the screw\bolts. They all snapped when they started to get tight. Went an bought more. Re-drilled etc and they did the same. What am i doing wrong?

Sounds like your using the wrong size of drill bit, rawl plugs or screws. The size and length will depend on the weight of the bag and the hammering it is going to get.

If you are using red Rawl plugs then a 6.0mm drillbit and 8x1 1/2" screw should do. Also when you are drilling, just drill the hole once. Don't be reaming the hole to make it bigger.

I'm using a 10mm drill bit with m8 screws. The ones supplied are about 3 inches long. I'm gonna try buying some shorter ones. The rawl plugs are white or sorta see through really.

Try using masonry screw bolts. You drill the correct size hole then screw the blots straight into the wall. I use them in work to secure large floodlights and they are a good job.

Best bet are the ones with a bolt head then you can use a ratchet to tighten it up.

IMO they heat up, that's why they are breaking. Get better screws as karl7900 advised.

I got shorter screws in the end and they did the trick. Hopefully it won't fall down lol.

Fisher fixings work quite well, Id be tempted to no nail it to the wall as well as screwing/bolting it , think it will take some hammer lol