understanding car tax nonsense?

nky_84

6th Gear
Reaction score
so, 2002 s3 225 g/KG = £210 correct?

A rise of £5

but if it was 1gKG over, i'd be paying £400!?

Think im off to buy an old american v8 pumping out maximum C02 juice!

I'm pleased mine is pre 1st March 2001 so its in the flat rate group and was £185 back in December.

Darling can suck my salty balls! How on earth that clown has charge of the UK's fincances is beyond me!

Ali - PM, ive made a huge **** up of the DWP, what can I do??
PM - Here you are Darling, here's the Department of Transport, now be a good boy and dont **** that up, or I'll spank yer bum!
Ali -PM, ive made a mahoosive **** up of Transport, shall I resign and sign on, they know me in the Jobcentre, I made a load of em unemployed a few years back?
PM - Nah mate, have the UK's financial balance instead!!!

Sorry for the impromptu play, but i hate the twatt and the way he has jet black eye brows, like slugs parked on his face! Kinda like David Blunkett stuck em there after a game of, 'Stick the fake comedy eyebrows' on the muppet!

now ive just read again this morning that its over 226..... confused!!

Looking at this 2008/09 i think it will be £210,after that it looks like your paying £415 i think.

Have a look at this site:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_10012524

Hopefully this should clear things up...

If your car was reg'd before 01-03-2001 then the max you pay will be £185, if its after 01-03-2001 then your tax is calculated based on emissions....

However if your car is over 225 and registered on or after 23-03-2006 then you pay £400, so to clear thnigs up. anything reg'd between 01-03-2001 and 22-03-2006 over 185 CO2 emission (g/km) will pay £210 for 12months and £115 for 6 months.

This is my understanding of it anyway, if im wrong, please feel free to correct me.

Thanks
Nilz

The new higher rates will only be counting towards brand new cars, so if your pottering about in anything '57 plate or earlier then you keep on your existing system. My 2002 A4 3.0 is a horrific gas guzzling ice cap melting polar bear killing rain forest destroying smog producing gas guzzler of a car according to the goverment but i'll still only be paying £215 next month for my tax. You've only got to worry if you've just placed an order for brand spanking new planet destroying beast of a car!!

As a special ode to our chancellor Ali D im going to try & increase my pollution on todays drive home with a sub 20mpg ave if I can manage it!!

Just phoned the DVLA out of interest to double check that the new tax rules for next year are only going to apply to brand new vehicles and they havent actually been told yet what to advise the public!! This is the government agency responsible for administering the road tax scheme in the 1st place and they cant actually advise motorists on this question!! Im still of the belief this will apply to brand new registered vehicles from March 2009 only and not affect us current owners. If it did retrospectively cover existing cars then it would totally devalue the used car market, my A4 3.0's current rough value of £12k would nose dive to a few grand cos of its high emmisions, no one would want to buy it basically!!

I doubt £50-£55 a year hike in road tax will have that dramatic effect on resale values, it's a pittance compared to the rises in fuel (over 10% in just a few months). Less than 10 visits to the pumps and you've already exceeded the rise in VED.
If your car is worth £12k, and the buyer is going to keep it for 3 years then just knock £150 off for him, job done.

Just phoned the DVLA out of interest to double check that the new tax rules for next year are only going to apply to brand new vehicles and they havent actually been told yet what to advise the public!! This is the government agency responsible for administering the road tax scheme in the 1st place and they cant actually advise motorists on this question!! Im still of the belief this will apply to brand new registered vehicles from March 2009 only and not affect us current owners. If it did retrospectively cover existing cars then it would totally devalue the used car market, my A4 3.0's current rough value of £12k would nose dive to a few grand cos of its high emmisions, no one would want to buy it basically!!

I guess that you will have to ring Mr Darling himself then - LOL :blahblah1:

Paul

I no longer give a **** what this Government do........... I'm just waiting for them to be gone!

Do people still really believe it makes any difference who's in power?
It's the civil servants who run (down) the country, and they never change regardles of who's in power. The politicians are purely the front men, they have no actual power, the civil servants are the ones who make it work, or **** it up, and as most of them have never done a real job in their lives it tends to be the latter.

AndyMac,

You do realise you have that back to front....?

Yes, the civil service run the Country, and yes they often **** it up, largely because they are never held to account!! But NO, it IS the Politicians who have the power, and tell them what to do. THAT is why with the LIB/LAB/CONS all singing from the same song sheet, nothing ever changes.

That is why I will be voting BNP!:cool:

Who won't get in so we'll be back to square one.
Politicians tell them what to do yes, but they have the influence on how they do it.
So take a very simple scenario:
I tell my wife to wash the car, she will come back with a whole host of questions, where's the bucket, can you get the hose out, do I use this shampoo etc etc and she might even get to the point of actually washing the car. But will she do a good job? No. Would the project have been a success given that it would have been easier to do it myself? No.
So yes each gov't can try and launch different initiatives but it is the civil servants who dictate whether it's a success or not and who ultimately have the power to oust a government on tha basis of all their failures. Child Benefit debarcle springs to mind - that wasn't the governments fault, it was the civil servants managing the data and not giving a toss about how they did it as ultimately the gov't would take the blame. It's just a nonsense.

am confused, so how much will i be paying for road tax

2003 model, 03 plate 226 co2

Who won't get in so we'll be back to square one..

I take it from that, you at least agree that if they did get in things would be different? So the choice is simple vote Lib/Lab/Con for more of the same, or vote for something different, and in my view better!

Child Benefit debarcle springs to mind - that wasn't the governments fault, it was the civil servants managing the data and not giving a toss about how they did it as ultimately the gov't would take the blame. It's just a nonsense.

As I said, it's a matter of them never being held to account. Partly because it might infringe their 'human rights', or they might sue for 'discrimination' or take several years off with 'stress' etc etc etc............ All that is required is a Government with the political will to to stand up to them and get rid of those who are not able to do the job asked of them. Simple.

Of course this leads to another question of why we have so many incompetants in the Civil Service...........?? Simple again. That's what you get when you place 'diversity', 'equality', and 'Political correctness' above good old fashioned 'Ability'.

After reading this document

http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/media/...8_chaptera.pdf

I believe that all 225bhp S3 owners with cars registered after march 2001 will have to pay £415 from 2009. The period from March 2001 to March 2006 only stays in effect until the end of this year keeping us in Band G, when the new Tax bands are introduced in 2009 we will all be in Band L.