Porsche to take majority stake in VW group

motorbikez

Reaction score
Porsche are to increase their 30.9% stake in VW group to 50.9% if it gains regulatory approval which is a virtual certainty, if everything goes as expected Porsche will take control of VW by the end of july this year.

Yesterday VW group added Scania trucks to its portfollio by buying a majority stake in Scania for 2.88 billion euros.

Interesting....................now given Lambo's have been having the VAG treatment since they were bought does that mean that the next 911 will end up having VAG switchgear too, or perhaps a Lambo chassis?! Could be some interesting times ahead in the luxory sports car market with 2 direct rivals under one roof.

Nickynibbles said:
Interesting....................now given Lambo's have been having the VAG treatment since they were bought does that mean that the next 911 will end up having VAG switchgear too, or perhaps a Lambo chassis?! Could be some interesting times ahead in the luxory sports car market with 2 direct rivals under one roof.

Its been happening for years as it is...
The climate control unit in my 996 is the same as the pre-facelift A3s apparently.

Porsche have also been developing a DSG gearbox for the 911.

I believe much of the buying is to secure the tie in for the Cayenne/Touareg since Porsche use the VAG 3.2 V6 engine...and since Porsche will have the controlling share, will it mean that Porsche will be used to tidy up the handling of many of the VAG models?

I think there is a little bit more to this story than just technology and cost savings both companies are highly profitable in their own right and neither needs the other.Could it be that because Porsche was knocked back after bidding for VW last year there is a bit of vanity at stake?.

Porsche is for all intents and purposes a family owned firm the majority shareholder being Ferdinand Piech the grandson of Ferdinand Porsche and it has long been an ambition of the Porsche dynasty to get their hands on the VW group.But due to complicated German laws designed to stop foreign takeovers of german companies they have been frustrated until now.

I think it's an elaborate plot to buy VW just to put the Audi R8 out of production due to the fact they don't sell 911's anymore :laugh: