Golf 25th Anniversary (TDI) Model

emzino

Reaction score
Hi. Been reading up on these just for general information but actually finding it quite hard to find user feedback so was wondering if anyone on here has had first hand experience in one of these TDI PD 150 models or knows of it's up & down sides.
Also, what did VW do to raise the BHP from 130 to 150? Did they play with the ECU and add a bigger turbo?

Many thanks in advance.

P.S. Here's what I know so far:

The MK4 Golf 25th Anniversary was introduced in 2002 to mark 25 years of Golf production. The MK4 Anniversary comes with either the 1.8T engine with 180BHP or the 1.9PDi engine with 150BHP. Available as a 3 door only and in just 3 colours, 1800 are being sold into the UK. The car looks identical to the 337 version sold in the US although the US version is lower spec inside.

Key features » 18" BBS RC rims with 225/40 18 tyres. Red brake calipers. Lowered sports suspension. Votex body kit. Chrome exhaust tailpipe (1.8T). Recaro seats in Le mans cloth with GTI Recaro logo. Alloy gearknob. Alloy pedals, Aluminium dash trim. Red detailing on seat belts, steering wheel and handbrake. Gamma headunit and 6cd changer. 25th Anniversary numbered plaque.

i know the Anniversary wheels corrode like hell and look scabby in 12-18 months........ shame as the rest of the package is nice.

but a mk5 gt tdi drives better imo

I had a golf TDI 150bhp, fantastic car! bought it new and kept it for 18mnths without any faults other than the dash mounted cd changer eating a cd.

I know there were a few differences between the 130 and 150, The turn of pace was brilliant and I was told that mine never ran out of puff until 145mph.

The 150 sits lower, has a harder ride, it has bigger alloys, a different front splitter with extra air intakes.

Engine wise I haven't got a clue but I'd have another in a second.

Basically, a fractionally bigger turbo, ECU mapping, and a better IC on the 150.
They hit real torque slightly higher up the revs than a 130, but pull harder up top.

Sounds promising! Many thanks for the info.

One last question, how does it fair in comparison to a 2.0TDI 140... Ok so it's got more bhp but in terms of reliability, durability and technology, does the 2.0TDI outweight the TDI 150 anniversary? If you had the choice, which would you go for?

I'd still take the 8v in either 130 or 150 form.
The 8vs pull from lower down than the 16v engines - or certainly seem to...although the 140 is a far smoother engine.

The 8vs sem better of fuel too...my mates with 140s never get close to the economy of the 140s, and the car doesn't feel as quick on the road...the 170 is a different beast all together though...it's a cracker!

Personally, I'd not look specifically for a 150 either...again, it pulls from higher up the revs than a 130 so the power band seems smaller.
I like the 130 of the 130,140 and 150 selection...which is what I bought when I was looking and choosing between the 3.

I don't think you'll go wrong with any of them...maybe depends on what you want it for and if you intend tweaking it.

Hmmm. Now when you say the 2.0 140 is far smoother, do you mean that the 130/150 variants are alot rougher in terms of gear changes and ride quality being jerky (ride quality not linked to suspension etc. more engine response in everyday town driving conditions)?

Well that'd make mum happy... she's still not happy with out 2.0TDI 140 economy despite changing gears at/just below 2k revs etc. I think it's ok but could be better. Not as economic as I was expecting but then again it's my first TDI so I have nothing else to compare it against.

Either way, if I was to get a Golf it'd only be the 25th Anniversary Edition TDI engine which is why i'd have to go for the 150 variant UNLESS... I found a 130 which had all the mods I would do to it... we'll see.

Thanks for all your help, time & information guys. :friends:

emzino said:
Hmmm. Now when you say the 2.0 140 is far smoother, do you mean that the 130/150 variants are alot rougher in terms of gear changes and ride quality being jerky (ride quality not linked to suspension etc. more engine response in everyday town driving conditions)?

No, only that the engine sounds less tractor like throughout the rev range.
Perhaps only down to the later cars better noise insulation though.

Gearchange is pretty much the same on them all.

I've had a 110 an 130 and a 140. all good the 130/140's delivered power a lot smoother than the 110. Never driven a 150 but am told by various owners that the 130 is better to drive due to the 150 pushing out power higher up the revs as mentioned.

The 140 is an a3 the others golfs so its not so easy to compare fully, but I prefer the 140, most even power delivery.

Ok if the 150 was remapped, would that eliminate it's downfall of only being able to deliver 'the power' higher up the revs?

In which case, would it make it the most desirable choice out of the 3: 130, 140 (2.0) & 150...

Another concern I have (not based on fact) but could it be possible that the 150bhp TDI is 'less' reliable & durable due to the fact that so much is being asked (bhp) from only a 1.9? Is it literally being strained to produce the figures or is comfortable?

Well once i've sold the A3, think i'll give that a go. I love the anniversary body kit =)