Nissan Pulsar GTi-R

james0808

Reaction score
Ive just been out in a mates GTi-R running 340bhp and it is ****** quick.
Was thinking about getting one and spending some money on it to get it as quick as his.
There is some cheap ones around but was wondering are these reliable?
Anyone had one and got any thoughts?

Believe the main thing they suffered with was gearbox problems...running that sort of power I would think your mates one is upgraded\rebuilt-gearbox wise??? They are reliable in standard`ish form but no idea what they would be like with that sort of power-goodluck though,will be a monster little car!!!:icon_thumright:

Good car, I have heard they are a little nose heavy, plenty of scope for tuning, if it were me Id start with a standard car, rather than buying a previously tuned one, unless all of the receipts are available and I had personally checked with those who carried out the mods

Good luck :)

Wes G said:
Believe the main thing they suffered with was gearbox problems...running that sort of power I would think your mates one is upgraded\rebuilt-gearbox wise??? They are reliable in standard`ish form but no idea what they would be like with that sort of power-goodluck though,will be a monster little car!!!:icon_thumright:
Your right he has receipts for nearly £10,000 worth of goods for the engine and gearbox,the list is endless.
The previous owner spent just over £5,000 on it 6 weeks before selling it to him for £4,000:tocktock:
Will keep a look out for one soon.

james0808 said:
Ive just been out in a mates GTi-R running 340bhp and it is ****** quick.
Was thinking about getting one and spending some money on it to get it as quick as his.
There is some cheap ones around but was wondering are these reliable?
Anyone had one and got any thoughts?

They are money pits to be honest, most of the examples out there have been thrashed or crashed and the nice mint ones still command a decent price. For the initial outlay plus some extra bits and replacing the turbo, your looking at at least £5k IMHO. The engine can be a ****** too as spare parts can be tricky to source. Also is the 340bhp at the wheels or the engine as the 4wd tended to sap a few horses so what the engines putting out and whats at the wheels are usually totally different.

http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50882

Thats a nice cheap example.

Personally with that budget your hinting at I would get a Vtec Civic and go mad or maybe stretch to an EK9 Import Type R which are quite rare but have good reliable engines/recaros/diff (I think). Theres also the ITR to consider too and Celica GT4's are starting around £5k for freshly imported ones if 4wd is your thing, prices of a lot of imports have come down so much the last couple of years because its a lot easier to do and theres lots of people trying to make a fast buck...

I do like the civic's but dont want another fwd car(ive already got a golf gti-t).
Not sure about the power but i would guess it was engine power,ive heard these loose nearly 100bhp through the transmission,is that right???
Thats a nice one you found and only £3200.
I know they are moneypits but i tend to spend alot of money on cars anyway so it will be the norm.
Thanks for the advice fellas.:icon_thumright:

james0808 said:
I do like the civic's but dont want another fwd car(ive already got a golf gti-t).
Not sure about the power but i would guess it was engine power,ive heard these loose nearly 100bhp through the transmission,is that right???
Thats a nice one you found and only £3200.
I know they are moneypits but i tend to spend alot of money on cars anyway so it will be the norm.
Thanks for the advice fellas.:icon_thumright:

Mitsubishi Legnum, practical family estate with 280bhp+4WD, proper wolf in sheeps clothing and thats before you start removing all the insides and faffin around with the engine...

Seen quite a few low milers for around the £4k mark.

Ive driven a few of these pulsars and they certinly do shift but am a bit worried about reliability on these and i spotted a P reg celica GT4 which looked lovely(something the pulsar doesnt),are there any reliability issues with these running around 300 bhp.

I thought about a pulsar, but as has been said... its just a money pit... you'd have to really really REALLY love that car to invest in it.

I had a GT4 Celica, and loved it... it was supreme. Even after the joyriding ******** had stole it and run it over fields for miles it still drove smoothly....

one word of notice mind... its not fire proof as was later found out. :mad:

i used to have one a few years ago - as others have already said - very fast, but it was spend spend spend, just about every month!!

I used to love GTI-R's as a kid, the only time I had a go in one was in bad weather, but I was absolutely amazed at the level of grip it generated.
There's one around the corner from where I live and it looks smart, very tidy. If you can afford it, go for i :thumbsup:

I had a UK example Sunny GTI-R, (The Pulsar is a Japanese grey import) - very quick, but as has been said previously the gearbox is the weak link - and the clutch...

Changing the clutch itself is a huge job, too!!!

for the money you wont find a more fun or faster car.i had one for 3 years and was running 315 bhp with simple mods and was used every day.about 300bhp is all you need to get to 60 in just under 4 sec and you can get that for under 3k these days.not the best build quality and not as good handling as an evo etc but no where near as expensive either.