JMB RetrofitsAH Fabrications
    Neutral

Status

IT Help required

The time has come for me to upgrade to XP. I've archived my data from my hard disk, and have just re-formated it in preparation for a clean install this weekend.

Now here comes the problem!!

With XP does the CD boot, or do I need to create a bootable floppy with CD drivers. How the feck do I do this?

Cheers
    Danksy [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status

Re: IT Help required

Danksy,

The CD is bootable, boot disks are pretty much a thing of the past. You only need them if you're PCs BIOS doesn't allow you to boot from the CD drive. If the hard disk doesn't have an OS on it then if you put the CD in the drive and boot the machine the setup should kick in. If not check your BIOS settings and look at the boot order, make sure CD is first.

Christian

2nd Gear

Status

CD is bootable.

If it doesn't work, check the BIOS settings, and change to say 'Boot from CD first'.

Also if the CD is a 'backup' cd, it may not be bootable.

Cheers

2nd Gear

Status

Didn't see your post Christian [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Reverse Gear

Status

I used to think that about upgrades until I used an upgrade by accident and it was exactly the same to install the only difference is that it will ask you to put in a WIN2K/WIN98 etc disk into your CD-rom drive sometime during installation to verify a previous installation... otherwise identical. You don't actually need a previous OS installed.

Also, did this with Norton Internet security before I had an ISA 2000 server running on my network, the only difference between the two was a big red upgrade sticker on the front of the box... oh and 30 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]