Votes: 19 17.0%
  • poor

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • shocking

Votes: 58 51.8%

• Total voters

motorbikez

Reaction score
What state are the road surfaces in your area not motorways or A roads which are reasonable, but b and c roads town centres roads into your estate etc.The roads in Cumbria are shocking, potholes eveywhere council is going to spend 1.5 million pounds filling them ie temporary repairs.

They say they can only afford to resurface roads every 50 years where does the 40 billion pounds the government creams off the motorist go.

By the way anyone who can post pics of bad potholes feel free to post them up.

Local roads in Solihull are actually not bad around here, and they are pretty sharpish when it comes to filling in pot holes. It's a different story when you hit Birmingham, which is a mile down the road though, patchy repairs of a low standard is common...

Remember, councils spend far more defending litigation from people who have had their cars or bikes damaged than actually repairing potholes.

Surely even an idiot could work out - fix the problem then you don't have the litigation.

jcs356 said:
Remember, councils spend far more defending litigation from people who have had their cars or bikes damaged than actually repairing potholes.

Surely even an idiot could work out - fix the problem then you don't have the litigation.

Couldn't agree more, soon there will be a death attributed to potholes which are lethal to cyclists and motorcyclists.

I complained to the local council, via email, about the footpath outside my house, and the access to the drive which meant that if my car was fully loaded it would just catch when pulling onto the drive.

I also moaned about a slanted lamppost, and some potholes in the road (nothing toooo serious) and my road (which is a side road, of a side road off an A road... )

Within about 4 days, they had fixed the holes, relaid the path and straighted the lamp post! To say I was amazed is an understatement. I can only think that the reason for the quick fix was that a local election was on the way.

The main A roads around here fcuking suck! I have a path I now drive down the main A road here, which sees me take corners at specific angles, drive closer to the curb to then need to move toward the white line. Im sure if perhaps someone was to watch from the sky over a short drive they would think I was wasted!

Kontraband said:
I complained to the local council, via email, about the footpath outside my house, and the access to the drive which meant that if my car was fully loaded it would just catch when pulling onto the drive.

I also moaned about a slanted lamppost, and some potholes in the road (nothing toooo serious) and my road (which is a side road, of a side road off an A road... )

Within about 4 days, they had fixed the holes, relaid the path and straighted the lamp post! To say I was amazed is an understatement. I can only think that the reason for the quick fix was that a local election was on the way.

Good result shows these faceless bureaucrats can do something positive if they have an incentive (ELECTION).

Kontraband said:
The main A roads around here fcuking suck! I have a path I now drive down the main A road here, which sees me take corners at specific angles, drive closer to the curb to then need to move toward the white line. Im sure if perhaps someone was to watch from the sky over a short drive they would think I was wasted!

There's a few roads like that here too! My ex used to bo**ock me for being all over the place in my last car... what the hell did she expect me to do in a car that was lowered, stiffened and on low profile tyres? :tocktock:

Generally the roads here aren't too bad however there is a manhole cover by some traffic lights that, at its worst, had at the very least sank 4 inches!! It took ages for it to be sorted... and its started to sink again!

The roads around Worcester are appalling But the council cannot afford to repair them cos all the money has gone on claims made by motorists whoes cars have been damaged by said ***** ROADS !!

worcester does have **** roads, but malverns worse!! although at the moment they seem to be road works everywhere, but its coming close to the end of the road workers year and they are trying to use up all the remaining budget in order to get the same amount or more next...

There were some very interesting stats published by some manufacturers the other week.
Ford, for example, say 75% of UK warranty claims are suspension and steering related, with the average figure for other countries being only 25%.:ermm:
Proof, if it were needed, that UK roads are generally a lot poorer than our foreign counterparts.

Edinburgh's roads are so bad that sometimes I have diffculty in telling whether it's a cobbled street or not.

theres a road near me (Northy Avenue, Cheam) that is shocking considering its a main road, its like a mine field of holes which has now left me needing my car re tracked.....:keule: i'll try and get some pics...

They're not too bad around here actually, but when they do resurface one they now seem to opt for using superglue and grit instead of actual proper tarmac. It is a cheap way out, but it's better than pot holes; and once a few hundred/thousand journeys have taken place over it the loose stuff seems to be gone, so not too many stone chips :aggressive:

Regards,

Rob.

Im actually surprised that not 1 single vote is here for good. Id have thought at least some mild mannered happy days person would have given a vote..

Not 1 single area with good roads.. we are clearly too lenient on letting our councils get away with these roads.

Kontraband said:
Im actually surprised that not 1 single vote is here for good. Id have thought at least some mild mannered happy days person would have given a vote..

Not 1 single area with good roads.. we are clearly too lenient on letting our councils get away with these roads.

The only bit of decent tarmac I can think of locally is the M6 toll road, and you have to pay to go on that!

yeah, but it is a nice bit of tarmac most of the time... shame you really DO have to pay for it.

Kontraband said:

Thats because the truth is there is not one single area with good roads we have no axe to grind here, unlike councils and government who make up statements and figures to suit themselves.

As I said at the start of the thread motorways and most A roads are reasonable infact I would say motorways are good and so they should be as it is nearer to £48 billon per year the government creams off the motorist not £40 billion I mentioned earlier.

Aberdeen council worship those 'spray gun' repair machines.
In fact, they've just spent £130k on another one.
For the unitiated, they are basically glorified jetwash style lances that spray a mixture of 'goo' into holes.
Nice and quick, but (almost literally) a case of painting over the cracks.
The repairs often have raised edges, because they don't bother taking a road roller with them, which just means tyres rip them up in double quick time.
They also often leave all sorts of debris on the road.
Then there's the mess the 'goo' makes of your paint.
TBH, I'd rather face a week of diversions to obtain a proper repair, rather than constant use of these poxy machines.

Round London the roads are generally quite poor, my advice is "don't go SAAAARRF!"; they seem to deteriorate markedly when you cross the river:nyah:

bowfer said:
Aberdeen council worship those 'spray gun' repair machines.

TBH, I'd rather face a week of diversions to obtain a proper repair, rather than constant use of these poxy machines.

I'd have to agree with you, funny in our area when the utility companies dig up roads they on the whole do an excellent job or repairing the holes they have made, could it be that because the councils fine them for sub standard work they do the job properly, pity the coucil doesn't take a leaf out of its own book.

Hertfordshire's roads are a mixed bag; generally okay, but then like that pock-marked road that runs up next to The Common in Harpenden (under the railway arch, if you know the area!), even when it badly needs resurfacing the council ignore it for years. I found a road condition complaint webpage on their website and reported it years ago; still nothing done.

To be fair though, ask yourself how many times you've driven along and actually thought, "wow, this road is in decent condition". We're more likely to notice the poorer conditions than the good.

Come on then reveal to us all where there are good B and C roads.The one person who says they are good in their area don't be shy,you know its makes sense.:yes:

hi everyone, i stay in edinburgh and the roads here are awful. iv got a set of 19"s on my a3 and you only have to hit a small pothole and it sounds like you have broken your wheels yet there doesnt seem to be anything being done about it as you see the same bad bits of road left for weeks even months when you report them.

Welcome to the forum no1markyb seems the roads are non to good all over the country according to the poll and comments of members.

Not a very good picture of the road surfaces in the UK when 82% of respondents describe roads in their area as poor or shocking about time the government started giving the motorists of this country a fair deal.
Collects £48 billion and rising each year in taxes specifically for the road infrastructure and spend less than £8 billion.

My Roads in bucks are very reasonable, there are some great ones.. then there are some country lanes which are a car and a half wide, and have about a foot drop crumbling off.

Well round here in Warwickshire, it can be a mixed bag.

I voted 'poor' but it can be completely 'shocking'

Again like a lot of councils, close to local election time many of the roads/signage/bus-stops etc seemed to be repaired and generally be an acceptable standard.
Now a few months down the line, back to the usual. Having driven modified cars for many a year now locally, you tend to know the good and bad ways about, its the 'fresh' pot-holes that catch you out - normally a loud bang at the cost of a tyre/strut or both :scared2:

And to think our 'Vehicle excise duty' & 'Council tax' go towards the upkeep of said roads..............................:haudrauf:

J

They are terrible around here!
I keep horses which means i need to use the "b" raods to get to the farm and its like a game of miss the pothole! didnt mind when it was the old banger of a passat but now ive got shot of that i only have my project car:scared2: