Gritters.

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
OK, just spotted 2 gritters doing their job on our main roads locally, it was around 3PM and reasonably sunny with 8degreesC showing on my DIS.:jester: Obviously we are expecting some heavy weather this evening and possibly overnight, but I think it's too damn early to grit the roads. The moving traffic is pushing the grit to the sides, so when any snow/sleet falls, and sets, it's not going to have any effect! :cold:

I've often wondered where logic in this is... Sureley they're just going to end up paying for another lorry-load to be put down later?

Either that or I need to be driving in the hard shoulder when I pass through Brum later? ...If only I had my old man's magnetic blue light!

Regards,

Rob

we just had snow, only lasted for a couple of minutes

think the weather is going to be bad tonight

Your lucky theyre out, our useless council workers are going on strike next week, so no gritting, ferry services, binmen, janitors etc etc

Just waiting on the 1st accident happening cos there was no gritting on these fine scottish roads....

Maybe I should stop paying my council, road tax etc if theyre all going to strike....

They've got to start sometime. They'll have a lot of roads to grit so they'll have to start at some point!!

Nickynibbles said:
They've got to start sometime. They'll have a lot of roads to grit so they'll have to start at some point!!

They made a hash of it in Brum when we had the bit of heavy snow a fair few months ago, and the gritters couldn't cope, as all the roads were jammed, so maybe you have a point...

jojo said:
They made a hash of it in Brum when we had the bit of heavy snow a fair few months ago, and the gritters couldn't cope, as all the roads were jammed, so maybe you have a point...

Driving down the M6 this afternoon in brilliant sunshine I thought it was quite a good idea having them out, when the snow hits a heavily gritted road its going to quickly melt and hopefully prevent it building up, the trick is to have it done constantly else the water washes away the grit and then you get black ice everywhere which is what happened a few years back on one freakish Friday afternoon in the Midlands. Having lived in Germany they seem to have this cracked, most German cars have winter tires on at this time of year and their gritters are out 24/7, some places out there see real snow that they measure in feet not inchs and Germany doesnt seem to grind to a halt like we do, I was working in the sort of north westy bit near Hannover, did a night shift and came out to find 3 feet of snow had fallen in about 6 hours...

Gritters - are they not those little furry things in a Hollywood movie ? Nah they were Critters.

Could have done with some gritters on the road test,wouldn't have ended up in the ditch and then that farmer's field, was never the car's fault or the driver's.

Weather fine here - gritters not out yet - road test continues tomorrow

jojo said:
OK, just spotted 2 gritters doing their job on our main roads locally, it was around 3PM and reasonably sunny with 8degreesC showing on my DIS.:jester: Obviously we are expecting some heavy weather this evening and possibly overnight, but I think it's too damn early to grit the roads. The moving traffic is pushing the grit to the sides, so when any snow/sleet falls, and sets, it's not going to have any effect! :cold:

Your DIS might have said 8 degrees but the actual road surface temperature might have been considerably less. A lot of the main strategic routes have loops in the road which provide alerts to the gritting crews when the surface reaches a certain temperature. They also rely on weather forcasts from the met office and I think there was a weather warning in the north of england yesterday which might have encroached into the midlands area. I here what your saying about the dispersement of rocksalt, however it will still leave a thin layer which will build up once they've re-done the route a couple of times.:yes: