Monster MotorsportChris Nott

Thread: Gritters.

S3 Drift King!

Status

Exclamation Gritters.

OK, just spotted 2 gritters doing their job on our main roads locally, it was around 3PM and reasonably sunny with 8degreesC showing on my DIS. Obviously we are expecting some heavy weather this evening and possibly overnight, but I think it's too damn early to grit the roads. The moving traffic is pushing the grit to the sides, so when any snow/sleet falls, and sets, it's not going to have any effect!

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!

2. # ADS
    ADS

Administrator

Status
    I've often wondered where logic in this is... Sureley they're just going to end up paying for another lorry-load to be put down later?

Either that or I need to be driving in the hard shoulder when I pass through Brum later? ...If only I had my old man's magnetic blue light!

Regards,

Rob
    Boot full of dog. Back seat full of lenses.

va va voom

Status
    we just had snow, only lasted for a couple of minutes

think the weather is going to be bad tonight
    ~ ~ ~2003 Audi S3 BAM ~ Ming Blue ~ 18" BBS Alloys ~ Heated Black Leather ~ Forge DV ~ RNS-E ~ denison ipod link~ parrot mk6100 bluetooth ~ ~ ~

Still need Remap

2007 Audi S3 8L
    2005 Audi A3 1.6 sport grey with climate control
    2003 Audi A3 1.6 sport black without climate contol

Neutral

Status
    Your lucky theyre out, our useless council workers are going on strike next week, so no gritting, ferry services, binmen, janitors etc etc

Just waiting on the 1st accident happening cos there was no gritting on these fine scottish roads....

Maybe I should stop paying my council, road tax etc if theyre all going to strike....
    2004 Black S4 Avant.
    RNS-E, Glovebox Changer, Bose, Cruise Control, Black Leather Interior, Heated Front Seats, Sony Bluetooth Handsfree, Rear Parking Sensors, Blinds, Lighting and Storage Pack.
    Slim-line DVD player to be fitted soon!

Damn it where's 7th gear when you need it?!

Status
    They've got to start sometime. They'll have a lot of roads to grit so they'll have to start at some point!!
    A4 3.0 Quattro Sport - Gone & missed everyday!

Current road going missile.....

........Smart Roadster - arguably the most fun you can have in a car without using lube!!

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickynibbles
    They've got to start sometime. They'll have a lot of roads to grit so they'll have to start at some point!!

They made a hash of it in Brum when we had the bit of heavy snow a fair few months ago, and the gritters couldn't cope, as all the roads were jammed, so maybe you have a point...

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!

Beer God

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo
    They made a hash of it in Brum when we had the bit of heavy snow a fair few months ago, and the gritters couldn't cope, as all the roads were jammed, so maybe you have a point...
    Driving down the M6 this afternoon in brilliant sunshine I thought it was quite a good idea having them out, when the snow hits a heavily gritted road its going to quickly melt and hopefully prevent it building up, the trick is to have it done constantly else the water washes away the grit and then you get black ice everywhere which is what happened a few years back on one freakish Friday afternoon in the Midlands. Having lived in Germany they seem to have this cracked, most German cars have winter tires on at this time of year and their gritters are out 24/7, some places out there see real snow that they measure in feet not inchs and Germany doesnt seem to grind to a halt like we do, I was working in the sort of north westy bit near Hannover, did a night shift and came out to find 3 feet of snow had fallen in about 6 hours...
    Volvo V50 D5 R-Design

mack1

Status

More Gritters

Gritters - are they not those little furry things in a Hollywood movie ? Nah they were Critters.

Could have done with some gritters on the road test,wouldn't have ended up in the ditch and then that farmer's field, was never the car's fault or the driver's.

Weather fine here - gritters not out yet - road test continues tomorrow

Uber Post Whore

Status
    No snow here, phew.

2013 AUDI A3 SB S-LINE : 2.0 TDIQ 184 : GLACIER WHITE :
    : S-TRONIC : COMFORT PACK : SD SAT NAV : FOLDING MIRRORS : HEATED SEATS: RIGID BOOT LINER :

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo
    OK, just spotted 2 gritters doing their job on our main roads locally, it was around 3PM and reasonably sunny with 8degreesC showing on my DIS. Obviously we are expecting some heavy weather this evening and possibly overnight, but I think it's too damn early to grit the roads. The moving traffic is pushing the grit to the sides, so when any snow/sleet falls, and sets, it's not going to have any effect!
    Your DIS might have said 8 degrees but the actual road surface temperature might have been considerably less. A lot of the main strategic routes have loops in the road which provide alerts to the gritting crews when the surface reaches a certain temperature. They also rely on weather forcasts from the met office and I think there was a weather warning in the north of england yesterday which might have encroached into the midlands area. I here what your saying about the dispersement of rocksalt, however it will still leave a thin layer which will build up once they've re-done the route a couple of times.
    Last edited by rich32uk; 2nd February 2008 at 09:52.