A question about Tax discs

Defratos

You’re Dethpicable!!
Reaction score
Website
00626e1.netsolhost.com
Ok fellas here's my dilemma and it's probably a stupid question to ask but I'm asking anyway:

My car road tax ran out a few days back (hasn't been driven) Now I've come down from work (somewhere up north) and went to the post office to get a new one, BUT I never had my new insurance papers (They're still up north) which really Pi**es me off cause I want to drive it.
Anyway to cut the long story short I applied for one on-line (as they can check the insurance and mot on line) and I should have it within 5 days, my question is would it be ok to drive my car on the road for the next week or so while waiting for the new disc to arrive? I'll be carrying a receipt of my on-line order "in case" I get stopped by the police but would they accept my situation or not?

I dont think you would have any problems, especially as you have the on-line order. The police can also check through their own computer system to verify you have paid for your road tax.

you might still pick up a fine if stopped with it not displayed. Fairly unlikely tho

am sure you will be ok as its just run out, and when they do a check with dvla they will see a new one has been ordered

I think you will be ok if you get stop out on the road, as mentioned above, they have means to check if the car is tax'd with their equipment. You will most probably get a fine if spotted untax'd if parked up though.

Just for a bit of extra info i usually buy my tax disc online, the day after it's expired - i do about 30k a year and havent had a problem yet, so as jojo said as long as it's not left lying about in a busy city centre for long youshoudl be ok

Although the vehicle is taxed not displaying a valid tax disc is an offence on it's own as I found out wen I was stopped 2 hours into th enew month after going clubbing. £40, cheeky sod :confused:

If it's done on line at least they can tell it is paid and has it, just need to be wary of grump coppers.

A couple of years ago when I was in my A3, my insurance had just been automatically renewed and I'd applied for a new tax disc online - as it hadn't turned up yet I printed out the receipt from the website and stuck it by my old tax disc in the window...

I was driving rather early one Monday morning (01:45) down a 40 out in the sticks, doing perhaps a few over 40mph. I passed the front of a signwritten-Volvo as it nosed out of a side-road. They turned my way and stopped me for a little chat...

For the benefit of their video, I'd slowed with handbrake only so as not to show I'd dropped-anchor, but when asked if I knew why they'd stopped me I fully admitted that I thought it would be because of my speed.

...Anyway, the response from the officer was "well yes, but also because you're uninsured" - obviously at this point I dropped a brick and hastily explained that my policy had been renewed a few days earlier. While this was going on, his colleague was having a nosey around my car, and told the chap talking to me that I had no tax either. They then started getting all excited about the fact that my car was going to be seized...

I quickly pointed out that I had a receipt for my tax, purchased a couple of days before, and that meant that a) I did technically have tax, and b) that I must be insured, because as said above - the online tax system checks insurance and MOT.

They then calmed-down a bit and let me on my way with a producer, noting that along with licence, insurance and MOT they wanted to see the tax disc. I went along to a station with the documents (when the tax disc arrived) and that was the end of the matter. No fine for the tax disc...

Regards,

Rob.

well when I applied for my last tax disc it wouldn`t work online, thought this was because the insurance was due too near the time ???

Rang insurance up and found out i`d driven for 11.5 months without insurance ....... I had the renewal papers and everything but they had had problems taking the payment for automatic renewal and Id never had a letter to inform me oooooooooooooops.

Jeez you had a lucky escape there then! Imagine if you'd have had an accident or been pulled!... You know the insurance company would've tried their best to ensure you shouldered the blame!

Regards,

Rob

FactionOne said:
Jeez you had a lucky escape there then! Imagine if you'd have had an accident or been pulled!... You know the insurance company would've tried their best to ensure you shouldered the blame!

Regards,

Rob

yeah, that is lucky... they'd have screwed you had you been stopped... although *sensible hat on* it is really your responsibility to check you have insurance. :no:

;)

Your usually okay with the cops if your tax is a few days out, most will turn a blind eye to a week overdue!

If the yellow perils see you it's a different matter.

No excuses will ever work, most times they deal with your car it'll be parked up somewhere and you'll be living in blissful ignorance of a 60 quid ticket stuck to your windscreen.

The ticket does not fine you for the offence of having an untaxed car on a public road but for the easier more fruitful option of failing to display a valid excise disc....Be warned! lol

ive had that problem fingermouse i drove for almost 9 months without any insurance, and only found out when the renewal didnt arrive , so rang them to find out why only to be told that they had cancel my insurance 9months before, but i never recieved any letter etc.

all because i changed bank accounts that i paid the monthly payments from, i rang them and filled out the new direct debit forms for them but they said they never got them?????????

what made it worse was they cancelled it in june and didnt find out til end of febuary so i drove throught the risky xmas period not knowing

Defratos said:
Ok fellas here's my dilemma and it's probably a stupid question to ask but I'm asking anyway:

My car road tax ran out a few days back (hasn't been driven) Now I've come down from work (somewhere up north) and went to the post office to get a new one, BUT I never had my new insurance papers (They're still up north) which really Pi**es me off cause I want to drive it.
Anyway to cut the long story short I applied for one on-line (as they can check the insurance and mot on line) and I should have it within 5 days, my question is would it be ok to drive my car on the road for the next week or so while waiting for the new disc to arrive? I'll be carrying a receipt of my on-line order "in case" I get stopped by the police but would they accept my situation or not?

Just one small question:
how did your tax run out a few days ago, it runs month to month.

the only thing you need to be aware of is ANPR, you may get a fine through without even knowing you have been seen.

as long as the disc is backdated you should be ok!