You coulndt make this up !

"Hollyfield, from Milton Keynes, had told the court he had been reading the rev counter instead of the speedometer. "

How on earth can he still be allowed to have a driving licence? Thankfully he didnt hit anyone, not sure he would've even noticed if he did!

45 day ban? He should be banned for a year and have to retake his test, that's not just speeding that's driving without due care, if not dangerous driving. Big accident waiting to happen. If that had been a 25 year old, he would have a 12 month ban. Makes me mad when OAP's who can barely get into a car get off lightly from a major traffic offence because for some reason magistrates think it's sweet, every month one of them gets caught going the wrong way down a motorway - ahhhh bless!

And towing a trailer too, probably had his driving gloves on so that makes it ok too.

what a load of ********, how can anyone confuse the speedo for the tacho unless they're that stupid they think their car will do 60 in first and has a maximum speed of around 70

88 on a single track road......
towing a trailer.........
with loud music because he was deaf........
and blind in one eye........
second offence in a year.........
never taken a proper test..........
or read his car handbook...........
and older than the hills...........

i hope he doesn't find his way to Bradford, i fear for my childrens lives

Should have his liscence revoked permantly, he is deaf, has a glass eye and is not in proper control.

richard

And here he is, after leaving court....

old-man-laughing.jpg

LOL TDI-Line!!! :)

Time for the poor guy to hang up his car keys for good. You'd think a former Aerospace Engineer would be a bit more savvy when it comes to looking at instruments.

Beyond 70 you have to be re-tested every 3 years, and there are also restrictions with regards to sight disorders, not least the ability to read a number plate 20m away which is the minimum standard! I think the judge in this case should of requested immediate re-testing along with sight testing to ensure the bloke is visually capable of driving. It could of been an honest mistake but just to swoosh it out of court with no consideration for ensuring the publics safety is negligent!!

Nickynibbles said:
Beyond 70 you have to be re-tested every 3 years

No you don't. The driving licence has to be "renewed" every three years once the licence holder passes 70, but there is no medical check or test in place to verify the driver's ability to drive. No retest at all. Ridiculous when you consider the symptoms of old age are exactly the same (if not worse) than being ****** behind the wheel.

unkle said:
Wonder what his new car is?

Guy's been a complete tos*er and come up with a great story to take the sting out of his punishment - it has to be a beemer.....

shineydave said:
what a load of ********, how can anyone confuse the speedo for the tacho unless they're that stupid they think their car will do 60 in first and has a maximum speed of around 70

I remember reading an article by Michael Parkinson years ago, describing what happened when he first got famous, and was able to shell out on a posh car. It was a Series one Jag XJ6, circa 1971, back in the days when a new car still needed to be run in. He and his wife, Mary, picked the car up from the dealer in London, and set off up the M1 to Yorkshire.

At Watford Gap, they swapped seats, cos Mary fancied a drive and he wanted a kip. He pointed to the speedo and told Mary to make sure the needle never went above 40. He woke up about an hour later, astonished to discover they were coming off the M1 at journey's end. He asked Mary if she'd kept to 40 like he's told her to. Somewhat annoyed she replied sharply: "Of course I did; look!". and promptly pointed to the figure 40 (x100) on the rev counter. While he'd been akip, Mary had been charging along at about 100mph in a day-old car with about 100 miles on the clock.