Swaying towards IHI....
Reaction score
Been looking on DVLA for a while now,

Can never find a decent plate.

I've got an 8L A3 1.8T And my name's Jason

Tried everything any ideas?

Oh the car is a 99 by the way.

Cheers :)

If you are getting a plate do not correspond it to the car - I don't see the point unless you are going to keep it forever!

Personally, I think private reg plates are silly, unless they clearly spell without disfiguring, your name.

I am from Northern Ireland and over here 2 digit plates are very popular, yet expensive, to have on you motor - which you can still have on a mainland car

eg.

BBZ 15
DDZ **
AJZ **
JNZ **

etc...

check out http://www.securewebpayments.co.uk/readyreg/index.asp

they sell 3 digit plates at a reasonable price, obviously 2 digits are going to be more expensive

I had the same problem when i wanted a plate for my rs6 , i found all the plates i looked at looked a bit naf . So in the end i found one on piston heads that was a age less one .Three numbers and three letters .
I think it looks cool .

Yep, definitely vote for a pre 1963 registration with no suffix or prefix. I've got 3 plates - two are three letters three numbers, the other is much rarer, 4 numbers and 1 letter. I bought the latter on eBay for just over £600. The four numbers mean nothing, the single letter means nothing. It is just something different.

jcs356 said:
Yep, definitely vote for a pre 1963 registration with no suffix or prefix. I've got 3 plates - two are three letters three numbers, the other is much rarer, 4 numbers and 1 letter. I bought the latter on eBay for just over £600. The four numbers mean nothing, the single letter means nothing. It is just something different.

IMHO ... Don't bother, buy a nice motor and it looks good without a PP.. The Queen doesn't bother with plates at all!! so... my advice, save yer money, put towards OEM extras, BOSE, Sunroof etc or a holiday. When you are driving you don't see the PP so IMHO a waste of money especially as 99.9% of people who see your car either won't know what RU A 1 2 means or not give a stuff!!

TT
R:hubbahubba:

Rick Glover said:
IMHO ... Don't bother, buy a nice motor and it looks good without a PP.. The Queen doesn't bother with plates at all!! so... my advice, save yer money, put towards OEM extras, BOSE, Sunroof etc or a holiday. When you are driving you don't see the PP so IMHO a waste of money especially as 99.9% of people who see your car either won't know what RU A 1 2 means or not give a stuff!!

TT
R:hubbahubba:

Ignore the above and personalise your car with a private plate as the finishing touch Jas, you've spent enough money on your car everywhere else, this is the final bit to polish it off! :icon_thumright: Try and avoid itallic letters and logo's though, those are the things that chavs do!.... :asskicking:

jojo said:
Ignore the above and personalise your car with a private plate as the finishing touch Jas, you've spent enough money on your car everywhere else, this is the final bit to polish it off! :icon_thumright: Try and avoid itallic letters and logo's though, those are the things that chavs do!.... :asskicking:

Ignore my advice if you like but IMHO it will cost you!

TT:icon_thumright:

jojo said:

If you want to polish it off nicely try Autoglym!!

TT:hubbahubba:

Thanks for the reply's...

I just cant find one that relates to me whatso-ever.

Anything i look for with Jason in it is sold thats all i can think of really!

Jojo What PP have you got then?

Oh and dont worry its german plates with ABT tuning surrounds for me, No dodgy chavtastic italic lettering :)

Jason

RGBArgee said:
IMHO ... Don't bother, buy a nice motor and it looks good without a PP.. The Queen doesn't bother with plates at all!! so... my advice, save yer money, put towards OEM extras, BOSE, Sunroof etc or a holiday. When you are driving you don't see the PP so IMHO a waste of money especially as 99.9% of people who see your car either won't know what RU A 1 2 means or not give a stuff!

Im surprised you keep advising BOSE rick,its ****.
If you want to spend money on upgrading the sound system BOSE is not the way to go,aftermarket is sooo much better.

People dont see their plate when driving their cars(unless stuck in traffic behind a shiney car) but you see it when you walk upto your car,which is quite a lot.
A private plate doesnt have to mean anything to anyone else,it only has to mean something to its owner.
Go for the plate,you will be glad once its on.

And the queen has to have a plate on her privately owned cars its only state cars that dont have a plate.

:hubbahubba:
james0808 said:
Im surprised you keep advising BOSE rick,its ****.
If you want to spend money on upgrading the sound system BOSE is not the way to go,aftermarket is sooo much better.

People dont see their plate when driving their cars(unless stuck in traffic behind a shiney car) but you see it when you walk upto your car,which is quite a lot.
A private plate doesnt have to mean anything to anyone else,it only has to mean something to its owner.
Go for the plate,you will be glad once its on.

And the queen has to have a plate on her privately owned cars its only state cars that dont have a plate.

Queenies Maroon Roller has no plate, others do have plates but not PP's, Bose is an example and standard OEM music option in TT A3,4 and 6. I have to say the HK in the new A5 is miles better and good value. (Unlike a PP IMHO!)
PS I rarely even notice my numberplate, park sideways on at house, pub, work etc and in any event R xxx BGE does nothing for me or my ego! Nice car is enough for me!!

TT ....Will be choosing from a list at the dealers soon W*08***

R

RGBArgee said:

Queenies Maroon Roller has no plate, others do have plates but not PP's, Bose is an example and standard OEM music option in TT A3,4 and 6. I have to say the HK in the new A5 is miles better and good value. (Unlike a PP IMHO!)
PS I rarely even notice my numberplate, park sideways on at house, pub, work etc and in any event R xxx BGE does nothing for me or my ego! Nice car is enough for me!!

TT ....Will be choosing from a list at the dealers soon W*08***

R

Why the reference to the Queen's car?, clearly she has no interest in motorcars other than to be cheuffered in comfort around the block hence being in a Roller.

RGBArgee said:
Queenies Maroon Roller has no plate
Neither do the bentleys because they are all state owned cars like i said and they are royal claret not maroon.
You keep going on about private plates being a waste of money,then advice spending that money on BOSE,now that is a waste.

Jason mate , you could get something like mine, first two digits random, then three letters for your initials..?

- Makes it look timeless
- Looks smarter than 0Y03 TPS <random example>
- Isn't that expensive.
- and.
- People think it looks cool :) unless in italics, or if it's trying to spell your name. (though i saw a cool rs6 on the motorway with sam in the numberplate :D )

I guess I am missing something here as well.

I'm assuming no one on would choose a PP instead of a holiday or an option on their car would they?

I know personally I didn't choose my PP over either a holiday or ticking an option for the car.

And I doubt very much I will ever be sat at a dealers ordering a new car trying to choose between a stereo upgrade or a holiday for myself and the family...

J.

my plate cost me &#163;250 I just had it valued for interest &#163;400 if they can find a buyer!

I saw S3WRY in the paper which is very close to my surname &#163;12500 yet
strangely S5WRY is &#163;250 am I missing something?

G17JPB

What you think? 499 From Dvla..

JPB being my initials and G17 is just random.

Is that alot for that plate?

A3_Turbo said:
G17JPB

What you think? 499 From Dvla..

JPB being my initials and G17 is just random.

Is that alot for that plate?

Doesn't G17 look like GIT (as in 'Sad old'!)

TT
R:icon_thumright:

james0808 said:
Why dont you get
G1.8 JPB.

Wht happens when you get a 3.2 or 4.2 A5 .. if the PP is all about image you'd be looking a bit daft eh.....

Sell you DEZ 1098 :p

I just bought a new plate - same as one mentioned above in my earlier post, 3 letters, 2 digits

AEZ **

Nice plate and got it for a great price, going to be hard to keep it as I could make a few pounds on it!

RGBArgee said:
Wht happens when you get a 3.2 or 4.2 A5 .. if the PP is all about image you'd be looking a bit daft eh....
No,then you get 3.2 or 4.2 off dvla for £250,peanuts.
You will knock more than that off the asking price or you could get a 335i or M3 and have a proper rwd coupe.

Car specific plates are daft, IMO.
I know of a bloke with CL10.
Looked great on his Clio Williams, looks guff on anything else.
I know someone else with X5 ???, which is now on their Range Rover.
It's daft.
With regard to those suggesting you get extras instead, that's another daft argument.
A plate is for life, transferrable from car to car.
You can hardly do that with your Bose/Sunroof/Satnav.
I like the fact people will always know it's my car, no matter how often I change.
BTW, I agree G17 looks like 'GIT'
G18 is just as bad, as human nature is to prioritise the letters that look like a word.
So people will prioritise G18 to GIB, or GIBB and ignore the rest.
If you want the last three letters to be the priority, you need to choose ignoreable (is that a word?) digits before them.
Like G20 JSB (or whatever).

james0808 said:
Not if you sell them with the car and make a big fat profit.

In that scenario, that's fair enough.
But does that fall into the scenario of 'personalised' plates?
Surely the point of a personalised plate is that it's personal to you, and you will want to keep it?

bowfer said:
In that scenario, that's fair enough.
But does that fall into the scenario of 'personalised' plates?
Surely the point of a personalised plate is that it's personal to you, and you will want to keep it?

Agree... Also if you sell 'with the car' how do you know you've made a big fat profit.

IMHO still a waste of time and money!!

RGBArgee said:
Agree... Also if you sell 'with the car' how do you know you've made a big fat profit.

IMHO still a waste of time and money!!
Simple agree a price with and without.
Not rocket science is it.
How is a waste of money when you make money?

james0808 said:
Simple agree a price with and without.
Not rocket science is it.
How is a waste of money when you make money?

Have you actually done that... heres my 3 year old TT with G17 XYZ or WV04 TRH, give us 2 prices? I think it unlikely you would get a straight answer, but if you reeckon it makes you money and keeps you happy who am I to argue. I still think nice cars do not need PP's IMHO.

Yes but not in the way you describe.
The first time i advertised a car for sale with a private reg i didnt realise how long it took to put the original plate back on,after a chat with the buyer he asked how much with the plate still on.I said the plate was worth &#163;800 but i will take &#163;450 not bad as it only cost &#163;250.
Now if you want to talk about a waste of money how much do you think you will loose on the TT in the next couple of years?

james0808 said:
Yes but not in the way you describe.
The first time i advertised a car for sale with a private reg i didnt realise how long it took to put the original plate back on,after a chat with the buyer he asked how much with the plate still on.I said the plate was worth £800 but i will take £450 not bad as it only cost £250.
Now if you want to talk about a waste of money how much do you think you will loose on the TT in the next couple of years?

Not as much as that Merc of yours IMHO!:hubbahubba:Did the buyer know that you appear to have made up the £800 value of your PP? Surely not! If it was worth £800 then you've lost £350!

james0808 said:
How have i lost when i paid £250.A profit is a profit.

Transfer fees £ 80 x 2 one when you bought it one to move it ( I believe) =£410 + loss of interest on capital @ say 5%pa x say 2 years = over £450 there is no 'big fat profit' evident here!... BUT it's really IMHO you trying to justify your hobby of PP's which I do not share. Don't like football either, just nice black OEM Audis... I can justify a TT as it will depreciate little, will maybe lose £6k over 2 years so what!:wtf:

I paid &#163;250 which includes all fees + vat and sold it for &#163;450.
Had it on the car for a few months before i sold it,so all in all i made a profit of &#163;200 having it on the car.