BMW M3 Vs Revo'd S3?

leecs3

thinking about stuff
Reaction score
I'm thinking about chopping in the S3 for and M3 in the next few weeks and wondering if anyone has gone this route? Looking at the figures for both cars my S3 has 280lbft at 2800rpm and the M3 has 256lbft at 5000rpm, will the M3 feel flat in everyday driving? Flat out it should be much quicker but i like that effortless shove in 4th the S3 has that leaves people stirring cogs and thrashing to the redline trying to hang onto you lol.

If you go on the beemer forums you start to get the impression that a 260-70 S3 doesn't stand a chance against an M3 (driven properly).....M3 has not turbo lag + extra 80 BHP helps of course....

A remapped S3 is no match for the masterpiece E46 M3.

You'll have the advantage from 0-30mph, but after that the two extra cylinders and 1400cc displacement will destroy the poxy 1.8 K04 powered S3. The M3 can get to 60 in around 5.2 seconds and a remapped S3 will do it in about 6 seconds.

I'd say go for it, the M3 does not feel flat in normal driving situations, it's an absolute cracker of an engine and the sound it makes at full chat is sublime. As soon as I can get a decent insurance quote on one, I'm getting one.

my s3 gets to 0-60 5.1 seconds proven, Not on a stopwatch lol but i think after that an m3 would kick my *** more power and no lag its gonna win aint it..

leecs3 said:
I'm thinking about chopping in the S3 for and M3 in the next few weeks and wondering if anyone has gone this route? Looking at the figures for both cars my S3 has 280lbft at 2800rpm and the M3 has 256lbft at 5000rpm, will the M3 feel flat in everyday driving? Flat out it should be much quicker but i like that effortless shove in 4th the S3 has that leaves people stirring cogs and thrashing to the redline trying to hang onto you lol.

Don't do it, IMHO BMW's are not cool anymore!!

A BMW M3 would destroy the S3 everyday of the week! I think the bigger displacement and BHP will make up for the loss of the turbo!
I have test driven the BWM Z4 M coupe which has the 3.2 ltr and that was awesome....very scary in the wet!
Audi felt safer to drive thats why I picked it (and my gf prefered it).

Mike:thumbsup:

I don't know why people always compare the S3 to the M3?, one is a £30k car, the other a £50k car, different class already! Surely the comparison should be S4(B6/B7) vs. M3(E46) or if it has to be S3, then S3(8L) vs. 330Ci(E46) right?
And all this M3 will blow the S3 out the water talk, it's got more power out the box, of course it's going to be quicker, I would be annoyed if it wasn't. But you still need to be a decent driver to get the best out of it, I can't personally, see myself driving an M3 at 8/10th, nevermind 10/10ths, which is why I'm sticking with my S3. Not a perfect car by any means, but I like it, each to their own. :racer:

jojo said:
I don't know why people always compare the S3 to the M3?, one is a £30k car, the other a £50k car, different class already! Surely the comparison should be S4(B6/B7) vs. M3(E46) or if it has to be S3, then S3(8L) vs. 330Ci(E46) right?
And all this M3 will blow the S3 out the water talk, it's got more power out the box, of course it's going to be quicker, I would be annoyed if it wasn't. But you still need to be a decent driver to get the best out of it, I can't personally, see myself driving an M3 at 8/10th, nevermind 10/10ths, which is why I'm sticking with my S3. Not a perfect car by any means, but I like it, each to their own. :racer:

Seconded for sure.....

Never mind the pointless 0-60 times etc...the M3 is a proper drivers car with one of the finest engines ever built.
It's sublime to drive...the E46 that is.

The likes of a 330 (or even a re-mappped S3) may be easier to drive...but the M3 rewards more when you get to know it....which you will because the chassis is exceptionally good and will fill you with confidence where the S3 fills you with dread!

A well re-mapped S3 will have an advantage out of tight wet corners...and both have crap brakes (yes, the M3s are crap...you'll easily fade them on the road) but the chassis, throttle response etc of the M3 are streets ahead.

The E46 really is a bit special...I'm sure you'll love one Lee.

M3 will destroy a remapped S3,I have beat a remapped S3 in my 330ci and the M3 is quite alot faster than a 330 with 100bhp more.
You will also have a sweeeet exhaust note that no 4 pot turbo can match.

I've had a E46 M3, and hated it, couldn't wait to get rid, now got a new S3 on order, and chipped up the M3 would not stand a chance on a bendy country road against the S3.

Also, Clarkeson got it 100% right on topgear with the 'Cockometer' going off the scale when the M3 drove past!!! lol, even tho i've had one!

just my opinion from someone who has been there.