PS3 vs XBOX360

d3fy

Reaction score
Website
d3fy.co.uk
OK I know there is a gaming forum, but it looks a bit ghostly so thought I would ask in here.

I have £250 Comet vouchers, and was thinking of buying a console. It will be connected to a 1080p TV, ideally I would like to stream stuff of my PC, like HD TV to is and play it on the console.

What do peeps think? Looking at the 360, looks like i would need the Pro version, and a Wi Fi card for it? PS3 just out of the box?

Ps3 out of the box and an hdmi cable.. and your away!

i have the 60gb model. it's amazing.

My brother has the 360, games don't seem as crisp, and the controller is huge, uncomfortable and in accurate, also doesn't last as long on the charge.

oh and sixaxis is good fun on games, bit like the wii.

I went for the 360. I currently stream music and movies to it from my PC and watch them on a 720p LCD TV. It's from Microsoft so sometimes it can be hit and miss but 95% of the time it works brilliantly. My reasons for choosing the 360 were its easy to interface with a windows PC, and there are more decent games available (IMO). Whichever you choose I wouldn't try streaming HD content over wireless, use ethernet. If you get any interference it will be very noticeable. Trailing cables is a PITA but I think its worth it.

Cheers what about connecting it to the PC? Also what games are a must? I was thinking Assasin Creed?

Funky_Junky said:
I went for the 360. I currently stream music and movies to it from my PC and watch them on a 720p LCD TV. It's from Microsoft so sometimes it can be hit and miss but 95% of the time it works brilliantly. My reasons for choosing the 360 were its easy to interface with a windows PC, and there are more decent games available (IMO). Whichever you choose I wouldn't try streaming HD content over wireless, use ethernet. If you get any interference it will be very noticeable. Trailing cables is a PITA but I think its worth it.

Can I just drag and drop Xvid content onto the drive?

Sam-K said:
360 won't get gran turismo. :\

True, but Forza 2, PGR4 and Dirt make up for it ;) Apart from these i'd recommend Call of Duty 4, Gears of War, Bioshock and Halo 3 (notice the FPS theme!)

As for dragging and dropping content, i've not tried it. On the 360 dashboard you can stream direct from any PC on your network so you don't have to take up precious space on your hard drive. Do you have a router connecting your pc to the Internet? If you have then just use a spare port to connect the 360. Most decent routers have 4 ports these days. If you're running NAT on your router it should pick it up straight away.

spent 4 days on COD 4.....whilst being paid for being off sick from work :laugh:

hmm well from having a quick scan around, the only way you can hook the PS3 up to the PC is with Linux, and i really can't be ***** with that.

My router is upstairs in the office with the PC, the XBOX will be downstairs or in a bedroom, so I don't really want to string cat5 around the house, anyone use the Wi Fi card?

PS. I have a kick *** PC, so Bioshock, COD4 etc all get played on the PC _the_ home of FPS games ;)

only the xbox elite has the hdmi lead. best going for the ps3 imo. by the time youve paid for the xbox elite, a wifi adaptor and paid £40 for the xbox live youll have paid tonnes more and you still wont be able to watch High definition movies like on the ps3

-been playing PGR the last few days, it's worth it for the multiplayer, forza gets very boring after a few days on it..

+Call of duty is only good for online, the game was completed in about three days!
-Bio shock is very good.

+Metal gear solid will be out on the ps3 next year, and will destroy all competition.

+Uncharted is really good too!

++Blu-Ray player is AWESOME. so cool, the console is worth buying for that alone.

+unlike xbox live, the ps network is free free free.

+It looks way better. :p

+OH and won't break like 90% of the xbox's i have seen, no flashing red lights and extended warrantys. and games interrupted with, "disc cannot be read" then you have to reset.

Well having just had a HD DVD player nicked, I'm not really bothered about getting another, the films although yes they look good, don't warrant the £20+ each price tag for something you watched 2 years ago. I'm not really a snake fan either. I'm more intrested in using it as a media player for downloaded HD content.

Are we sure that the HDMI only comes with the Elite?

The new 360 white ones and the elite ones both come hdmi, so you can use the HD cable on them

with the latest update on the 360 i can now watch divx on my xbox :) streaming through pc and a mate mine says he can put it on usb and that works to

The original 360 can be connected to a HD tv with a PC input(VGA cable), that's how I have mine, this also has an optical out built into the plug.
The 360 does become expensive when you add in all the bits, I have the console, HD DVD Player, WiFi dongle and VGA cable. All in cost around £500 without xbox live subscription, but then when I got it the PS3 wasn't around.
If I started now then I would of gone PS3 for completeness out of the box!

Neither console supports DivX, XviD etc, you have to use a transocder to stream it through if you want to watch them from your 360/PS3. It's not a great solution, you need a fast PC and even then it can be jumpy...
I find a crappy media player with USB interface is perfect for playing downloaded movies and tv shows...I can play them straight from USB so no disks etc...

I have both consoles but never play the PS3. I will as soon as Gran Turismo comes out though! Basically most games come out on both consoles and although the PS3 has more power, i don't see any evidence that the developers are re-writing all their games to make use of the better hardware...

magnus911 said:
Neither console supports DivX, XviD etc, you have to use a transocder to stream it through if you want to watch them from your 360/PS3. It's not a great solution, you need a fast PC and even then it can be jumpy...

You can get round this on the xbox 360 by renaming the file extension to .wmv instead of .avi and it tricks it into playing it. I wish i had found it out before buying a dvd player with divx support and a usb port but such is life.

I bought the xbox 360 mainly because it came out before the ps3 and I needed a new console. and after playing both (only played fight night 3 on ps3) I couldn't tell much difference. Also i think the new grand theft auto is being released on xbox before ps3. as for reliabilty of the xbox mine has only gone wrong once in the 2 years of ownership and then it was repaired for free and only took 2 weeks to get back to me but next time it goes wrong i am just going to get an elite

Couple of big misinformed posts so far!

to clear things up...

- The new range of Xbox360 consoles all have HDMI ports not just the elite, the old range didnt but are still HD through component cables.

- Both consoles have/are releasing a patch to be able to play Divx's, no plans for Xvid as yet.

I have both consoles and have found gaming online with the 360 to be superior where as the PS3 has a slight gfx advantage.

The deciding factor for me as a online gamer would be is which console do my friends have? Online gaming is the future and its even more fun with your mates!

Both can stream HD content from a networked PC. The 360 needs a computer with Windows Media Player 11 installed to see the files. The PS3 can see files in the normal way through a shared folder on the PC. If your into downloading films, the 360 is great as you can download HD versions in the WMV-HD format instead of DVD or Divx. For HD movies on the PS3 you can download HD-MKV files and convert them fairly quickly to play on the console. Ofcourse the PS3 has blu-ray if your name isnt Knock off Nigel.

Re: GTA IV...
Apparently the Xbox version is ready to go but the PS3 version is still in development. They are still planning a simultaneous release though so we all have to wait! :(

I prefer the 360 but to be honest i have no real reason for it, just like the look of the console and the games better.

The fact that i got mine for £130 when the ps3 was about £500 new might also have had somethin to do with it lol

I'm pretty glad i spent 500 quids on the ps3, we have both in the house and this shines compared to the xbox when on an hd screen.

ALSO.

Why does everyone want to buy an games console to do everything BUT play games these days..?

No idea, i only really use mine for games and to play the odd Cd

magnus911 said:
I find a crappy media player with USB interface is perfect for playing downloaded movies and tv shows...I can play them straight from USB so no disks etc...

I have both consoles but never play the PS3. I will as soon as Gran Turismo comes out though! Basically most games come out on both consoles and although the PS3 has more power, i don't see any evidence that the developers are re-writing all their games to make use of the better hardware...

the new ms dash board update supports divx

and ps3 are launching it soon as well

They are noisy, you get used to it tho. The surface you have it sitting on can make it even worse.

Becomes less of an issue when watching dvds etc as you tend to have the volume up anyway

Bash_A3 said:
Couple of big misinformed posts so far!

to clear things up...

- The new range of Xbox360 consoles all have HDMI ports not just the elite, the old range didnt but are still HD through component cables.

- Both consoles have/are releasing a patch to be able to play Divx's, no plans for Xvid as yet.

I have both consoles and have found gaming online with the 360 to be superior where as the PS3 has a slight gfx advantage.

The deciding factor for me as a online gamer would be is which console do my friends have? Online gaming is the future and its even more fun with your mates!

Both can stream HD content from a networked PC. The 360 needs a computer with Windows Media Player 11 installed to see the files. The PS3 can see files in the normal way through a shared folder on the PC. If your into downloading films, the 360 is great as you can download HD versions in the WMV-HD format instead of DVD or Divx. For HD movies on the PS3 you can download HD-MKV files and convert them fairly quickly to play on the console. Ofcourse the PS3 has blu-ray if your name isnt Knock off Nigel.

Re: GTA IV...
Apparently the Xbox version is ready to go but the PS3 version is still in development. They are still planning a simultaneous release though so we all have to wait! :(

According to this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925916?sd=xbox DivX is not supported? I have a nice shiny quad PC, and its just done I Am Legend (4gb) to DivX in about 20mins, but it won't play on the Xbox?

d3fy said:
According to this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925916?sd=xbox DivX is not supported? I have a nice shiny quad PC, and its just done I Am Legend (4gb) to DivX in about 20mins, but it won't play on the Xbox?
Their site isnt very up to date then!. I watched a Xvid on the 360 last night streamed from my Q6600 PC :). I've watched a few series of South Park in Divx on it too. When you first try to play a divx/xvid Avi file it will prompt you to install the update.

WMV-HD is whats its a dream for though... who needs bluray!

Great tip bash, the avi's stream perfectly from my laptop

:respekt: :respekt:

I think I figured the problem, I was running Media Centre on VISTA, this does not play xvid or divx.

Using XP and Media Player 11 works fine, I think - will report back