JMB RetrofitsSky Insurance
    1st Gear

Status

gps speed v scameras v speedo

My snooper says I'm doing 70mph and my speedo says 77mph (approx). I understand the snooper ias probably more accurate but:
    1. What speed would a camera or mobile scamera van show if I was doing 77 mph?
    2. ACPO guidelines say police give 10% +2mph over speedlimit so does that mean I can drive at a speed of 75mh on my snooper and approoaching 90mph on my speedo whilst on a motorway and still be safe?
    TIA

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    Often thought this. My Origin B2 and the tomtom are approx 5 0r 6mph over what my speedo says..
    Audi A3 sline sportback 170 in silver. Bose symphony II sound system, tracker, auto light/wiper function, polished roof rails and ofcourse not forgetting the armrest.

I cant spell !

Status
    as you say your GPS speed will be more accurate than your speedo, You have to remember that the ACPO are guidelines only and not all police forces choose to follow them. to answer your questions the best I can
    1) Unsure probably 70.
    2) see above - but should be ok, unless its pouring down with rain, heavy fog, or your driving like a complete loon !

Richard

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Alba77
    Often thought this. My Origin B2 and the tomtom are approx 5 0r 6mph over what my speedo says..
    My speedo reads lower below 45mph than my road angel and tomtom.

J.
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

VOIP Dude

Status
    My Garmin and my speedo are practically exactly the same....
    Spence

Gone at 80k: 2007 A3 Sportback 2.0T S-Line S-Tronic Mauritius Blue
    (4 S-Tronic boxes, 3 Mechatronics Units, 2 Dual Mass flywheels, 2 sets of engine mounts)
    Gone at 32k: 2005 A3 Sportback 2.0TDi 140 S-Line DSG
    Ebony Black

Turbo Sport

Status
    My R/Angel is approx 3mph out from wot speedo says its doing ,
    think i will stick with wot the RA says !
    I bought a convertable in the wettest country in the world who says Scotsmen dont have a sense of humour !

"Lets fire up the Quattro" DCI Gene hunt,,,,,,,ashes to ashes

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GARTHY
    My snooper says I'm doing 70mph and my speedo says 77mph (approx). I understand the snooper ias probably more accurate but:
    1. What speed would a camera or mobile scamera van show if I was doing 77 mph?
    2. ACPO guidelines say police give 10% +2mph over speedlimit so does that mean I can drive at a speed of 75mh on my snooper and approoaching 90mph on my speedo whilst on a motorway and still be safe?
    TIA
    When you say "still be safe", what do you mean, safe from prosecution or safe from danger?
    Last edited by jdp1962; 15th December 2007 at 19:48.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

1st Gear

Status
    Safe from prosecution as you are always in danger whilst driving no matter what speed you are doing

Masa'warty 3200... Talk To Me!

Status
    As far as i know speed camera's static, moblie and speed guns, have a tollerance the limit is something like 10% +3mph added to the speed the car is doing. So anything above this will result in being done for speeding. Point being is basically eliminate the inaccuracy of the speedo. If your caught when they use them guidelines then your deffo speeding and there can be no argument in speedo inaccuracys.
    I have pretty much stuck to this when i want to press on and havent been stopped, even when passing a Traffic Police car at the side of the motorway at 80mph and mobile vans at 80mph. So not sure if i have just been lucky and the above is a load of $hit, but works for me so far.