gps speed v scameras v speedo

RHODIE

Reaction score
My snooper says I'm doing 70mph and my speedo says 77mph (approx). I understand the snooper ias probably more accurate but:
1. What speed would a camera or mobile scamera van show if I was doing 77 mph?
2. ACPO guidelines say police give 10% +2mph over speedlimit so does that mean I can drive at a speed of 75mh on my snooper and approoaching 90mph on my speedo whilst on a motorway and still be safe?
TIA

Often thought this. My Origin B2 and the tomtom are approx 5 0r 6mph over what my speedo says..:unsure:

as you say your GPS speed will be more accurate than your speedo, You have to remember that the ACPO are guidelines only and not all police forces choose to follow them. to answer your questions the best I can
1) Unsure probably 70.
2) see above - but should be ok, unless its pouring down with rain, heavy fog, or your driving like a complete loon !

Richard

My Garmin and my speedo are practically exactly the same....

GARTHY said:
My snooper says I'm doing 70mph and my speedo says 77mph (approx). I understand the snooper ias probably more accurate but:
1. What speed would a camera or mobile scamera van show if I was doing 77 mph?
2. ACPO guidelines say police give 10% +2mph over speedlimit so does that mean I can drive at a speed of 75mh on my snooper and approoaching 90mph on my speedo whilst on a motorway and still be safe?
TIA
When you say "still be safe", what do you mean, safe from prosecution or safe from danger?

Safe from prosecution as you are always in danger whilst driving no matter what speed you are doing

As far as i know speed camera's static, moblie and speed guns, have a tollerance the limit is something like 10% +3mph added to the speed the car is doing. So anything above this will result in being done for speeding. Point being is basically eliminate the inaccuracy of the speedo. If your caught when they use them guidelines then your deffo speeding and there can be no argument in speedo inaccuracys.
I have pretty much stuck to this when i want to press on and havent been stopped, even when passing a Traffic Police car at the side of the motorway at 80mph and mobile vans at 80mph. So not sure if i have just been lucky and the above is a load of $hit, but works for me so far.