car accident

POPS11

Reaction score
Hi guys just had an accident need some advice on what to do

i was stationary in a traffic and the car behind me moved forward and bumped into me ....their was no damage to either cars ....but the driver tried to say my car rolled back.....i argued if (Which i did not) i did roll back he should not have been tailgating...

the police arrived and confirmed no damage no injury to either involved i have the log number for this.

my question is if i report this to insurance company would they increase my insurance or would i lose my claims bonus??

I wouldn't have thought it strictly necessary to report it if neither party is making a claim for damages (to vehicle or otherwise); but speaking hypothetically, if it were reported as an accident/claim it's likely that either the fault would be deemed to be with the other driver, or that it's his word against yours and there's not enough hard facts to apportion blame. The rule of thumb though is that in the majority of rear-end collisions the following driver is at fault.

As regards premium and NCB - if you make a claim on your insurance and your bonus isn't protected you lose it. Premiums might be raised for accidents but it tends only to be at renewal time.

Regards,

Rob.

agree with Rob,unless witnesses say you rolled back into his car

thanx for the prompt replys.

any idea on what would happen if he reports it and i don't?
we did exhange details.

sorry for so many questions never had accident before.

Well it's a bit of a grey area given the circumstances - there's no damage to vehicles, no injuries (assuming the other driver doesn't decide he fancies waking up with whiplash tomrrow morning), but the police attended and you did exchange details (and when you say details, was this just registration/name/address or insurance company too?)...

What did the police have to say? -I'm guessing not much as it wasn't a serious incident, but it might be useful...

If I was in your shoes my next move would be dependant upon just what details where exchanged and what the police opinion/report is; but even having said that, if you personally don't intend to claim and the police aren't persuing it I wouldn't say you're obliged to report it.
If the other driver does make a report/claim you should be alright just explaining that it was agreed at the scene there was no damage, the police weren't investigating anyone/anything, so therefore no reason for an insurance claim and that was the end of the matter as far as you were concerned.

Regards,

Rob.

FactionOne said:
Well it's a bit of a grey area given the circumstances - there's no damage to vehicles, no injuries (assuming the other driver doesn't decide he fancies waking up with whiplash tomrrow morning), but the police attended and you did exchange details (and when you say details, was this just registration/name/address or insurance company too?)...

What did the police have to say? -I'm guessing not much as it wasn't a serious incident, but it might be useful...

We exchanged insurance details aswel as the address/name

the police did not have much to say at all just told us both to exchange details and confirmed no/damage to either car....

reason why im panicking is i dont want to be at fault for not reporting it.

I didn't think the police would've offered much of an opinion. It'd be nice to see what went in their notebooks though!

It's a tricky one really, some insurers would be funny about you not contacting them, even though there's no claim, others would't...

I guess if you want to put your own mind at rest and sleep easy you could do worse than simply ring the insurance company and tell them what's happened... Something along the lines of:

"Hi, I'm just calling to report a minor incident today - I was sitting in traffic and the driver behind me (vehicle registration XXXX XXX) moved forward and made contact with my back bumper. There's no damage or injuries so I don't need to make a claim. The police attended and confirmed this, and left me with a reference number which is xxxyyyzzz."

...I would guess there's about equal chance of them saying "Thanks for letting us know" and "So what are you phoning for?" but I wouldn't expect anything more severe than that at this stage.

...Either way though it won't affect your no claims by just doing that, as you're not claiming. I'd be very surprised if it would affect your renewal premiums either, because even if they note an accident on their records when you call, they're going to put "other driver at fault" and "total damage £0" based on the information you give them. If the other driver subsequently contacts them they may re-examine those two points, but they would do that even if he calls and you hadn't, so I can't see you being any worse off...

Regards,

Rob.

Yes, I'd do what Rob recommended, by calling up insurance company, and saying that someone went into you and that there was a police officer present, and give them the reference number etc. Tell them you and car are ok and don't want to make a claim just for the record, so in the event the other driver wants to make a claim, you at least have yourself covered with your story.

Will be phoning insurance company tomorrow to let them know my side of the story.
hopefully my premium renewal + 4 years ncd will not be affected.

all advice appreciated
thanx.

i'd be interested to know the outcome because the wife had something similar in the snow a few years back. she reported it because the other woman was being all arsey about it even though she'd slid into the back of the wife. consequently (even though there was no claim made) they raised her premium "until" they could be satisfied that no claim would be forthcoming hence we will never be using a certain company who's name begins with "H" again

Shouldnt cause any drama. My missus was hit on the rear bumper by a woman in a multi-storey carpark who admitted blame there & then, well she had to cos she hit a stationary car!! No police were involved but both cars were checked out by insurance recommended repairers & we decided not to pursue any claim as there was nothing wrong with our car other than a scratch which I t-cut out. Its an r-reg Astra so not that bothered to be honest. The other lady had some work done under her own insurance company but we were unaffected insurance wise & have since moved insurance comapnies ok & they provided NCB confirmation without any problems.

I'd say your totally safe, police attended and were happy with your decision there was to be no claim.