Gillian Gibbons - Teacher in Sudan

john2garden

Gonad
Reaction score
Can you believe all this about this woman naming a teddy bear after the 'prophet'?

Shes 54 and been jailed for 15 days and is then going to be deported, but has escaped 'lashings'.

What sort of world are we living in now when things like this happen. No wonder people feel alienated with other peoples religions.

It's ridiculous. They can do whatever they like in this country an no one seems to care. Religion is the biggest cause of problems in this world and its all a load of *****.

That's our biggest problem we just roll over and accept it.

We have accepted too many different people from too may different countries all with different religious views in the UK. It is a time bomb waiting to go off.

Randomjim said:
It's ridiculous. They can do whatever they like in this country an no one seems to care. Religion is the biggest cause of problems in this world and its all a load of *****.

Hear hear that man! Well said.

The woman was teaching a load of 7yr olds ***! And it was a teddy bear!:motz:

its a ****** joke

some of them arabs get up to some crap in this country and nothing is done about it because of human rights!

makes me mad

Just to be devils advocate, what about the view of she should have had more appreciation of the local country laws. It's a fairly popular view that people coming to live/work here should abide by our rules.

Would it be plausible to think that newspapers in some of the strictly religious countries would have stories on how women who have moved from their county to the UK are walking around next to men and talking to them and aren' t being lashed - and what a disgrace it is?

For the record I think it's all ridiculous though and yet another reason why governments and especially legal systems should be secular.

Im absolutely astounded by the whole thing. This woman who has from all accounts been around the world on humanitarian missions for years was there to help the people of the Sudan, help which they were more than willing to accept at no cost to themselves. All the reports i've read have said that a class of 7 year olds decided to name the bear, not actually her, so why are the kids not facing punishment? What about the head teacher of the school, were they oblivious to what goes on at they're school. I've read a few reports that have said that a child in the class was actually named Mohammed and the bear was named after him in essence. So is it illegal to name everything Mohammed or just childrens toys?! For a country that is trying hard to get over their history of massive religious violence they're doing a great job of showing the world their progress. As a non-practicing christian I am personally offended by the whole affair, but does anyone care?? Doubt it!!

How about our government shows a bit of backbone, and withdraws £300m of humanitarian aid in protest?

Things like that annoy me even more. Our Army have no money to spend, our Healthcare is vastly underfunded and our infrastructure is getting worse as each year passes. Instead we waste money on countries that perform mass genocide.

She could have possibly got into just as much trouble if she'd overruled the children and not allowed the name, surely this would have been worse?
Organised religion is just a way of controlling/manipulating the masses (always has been, always will be) and still supposedly intelligent people get sucked into it. Wake up people!

Nickynibbles said:
Im absolutely astounded by the whole thing. This woman who has from all accounts been around the world on humanitarian missions for years was there to help the people of the Sudan, help which they were more than willing to accept at no cost to themselves. All the reports i've read have said that a class of 7 year olds decided to name the bear, not actually her, so why are the kids not facing punishment? What about the head teacher of the school, were they oblivious to what goes on at they're school. I've read a few reports that have said that a child in the class was actually named Mohammed and the bear was named after him in essence. So is it illegal to name everything Mohammed or just childrens toys?! For a country that is trying hard to get over their history of massive religious violence they're doing a great job of showing the world their progress. As a non-practicing christian I am personally offended by the whole affair, but does anyone care?? Doubt it!!

I dont think she was working there for free, its one of the best private schools in Sudan so they probably charge a fortune in fees and pay quite well too, doubt she was paying tax on her earnings either.

I feel quite sorry for the woman as I think she only had good intentions but shes teaching in a 3rd world Muslim country and maybe should of been a little bit more wary about what she was doing, Muslims take they're religon VERY seriously in ways your average Christian wouldnt understand. For most Christians going to church on a Sunday could be considered showing faith in God and Christianity. This is nothing compared to Islam, could any of you imagine praying 5 times a day, abstaining from pork, fasting through Ramadan etc etc? For them religon isnt just something like going the gym and keeping fit, do it a few days then not bother for a week, its a full time 24/7 thing.

Also the word 'Islam' sells papers these days, throw in some lines about lashing some old Doris and the newspapers will of had a very good week in sales.

Hopefully she will get home safe and sound, make a bit of cash via Max Clifford and then retire happily...

Just my tuppence worth.

It was reported the reason she got "caught " was SHE put out a letter to the parents of the children ASKING if this was ok!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
this is a gross over reaction, as JDP1962 ,sayd lets withdraw our aid and any help this goverment sends till they learn to stop OFFENDING our british citizens!
she should have got nothing more than a slap on the wrist saying its wrong please dont do it again !

jdp1962 said:
How about our government shows a bit of backbone, and withdraws £300m of humanitarian aid in protest?
I wondered if any of that £300m funded the top-of-the-range Mercedes S-Class that the Sudanese Ambassador left Downing Street in earlier this week? The black one with the ultra-expensive "SUD 1" number-plate? And to think their people are starving.

I can't believe how people become blinded by their faith and seem to lose all sense of reason. It's so sad.

benw123 said:
I wondered if any of that £300m funded the top-of-the-range Mercedes S-Class that the Sudanese Ambassador left Downing Street in earlier this week? The black one with the ultra-expensive "SUD 1" number-plate? And to think their people are starving.

I saw that too on the news, surprised they didnt blank it out.

SUD 1 = Diplomatic Plate btw.

I heard on the news earlier that an angry mob had gathered outside the prison demanding the death sentence for her and threatening to lynch her. WTF!

I'm glad she is being deported back home. It does'nt sound like she would be safe if she stayed.

I wont be contributing to any charity from now on unless I get a cast iron guarantee NONE of the charity's funds are used in the Sudan.

I feel sorry for them on the one hand, but if they let crap like this go on "**** them" I say.
It was a flipping teddy bear ***!

I hope when she gets out she wipes her **** with Muhammed the bear while summoning up the devil........, give the something to really be upset about.

fallmonk said:
why dont we do a group buy and send loads of TEDDY BEARS to the consulat! ;-)

That would be a nice thought, but what would we call them? :think:

Obviously the majority of Muslims believe this is ridiculous as well. I can't believe they've done something soo stupid, BUT its probably just their only way of getting back at Westerners as they haven't don't Jack **** about Darfur so of course they'll play around for as long as possible until someone intervenes in a country that really needs help.

But wait there's no oil there so that won't happen.

john2garden said:
Can you believe all this about this woman naming a teddy bear after the 'prophet'?

Shes 54 and been jailed for 15 days and is then going to be deported, but has escaped 'lashings'.

What sort of world are we living in now when things like this happen. No wonder people feel alienated with other peoples religions.

Its a f--king joke remember that piece of **** abu hamza he preached racial hatred for years in London against us the people that were paying his mortgage and benefits.Not only that the police just stood there while he and his deadbeat breathren blocked a road to listen to the crap he talked.Eventually common sense prevailed and he got what was coming to him 7 years in jail and with luck once his sentence is over here he will be extradited to the US where he will serve a life sentence in a US jail.

Seems to me muslims can do and say what they want here or any where else in the world but you do one trivial thing like er name a teddy bear mohammed and you are in deep trouble.Ludicrous its about time the west woke up to this threat against our freedom.

I have a mate called Mohammed, I now call him him Teddy, which he finds amusing, he thinks it's OTT also, but he is living in this part of the world where we have a sense of humour.

A tactical nuclear strike might be a bit OTT but I can see what you mean.
I've heard a few crackin jokes about this topic but cannot repeat

Due to international outrage Gillian Gibbons has been released and will be on a plane tommorow back home to Liverpool.

motorbikez said:
Due to international outrage Gillian Gibbons has been released and will be on a plane tommorow back home to Liverpool.

Read about this too, good thing too as I could only see this getting more out of hand the longer it went on!

The way I see it she has no one to blame but herself........... for working in such a backward shithole of a Country in the first place,,,,, and then expecting the swivel-eyed cranks in charge to behave in a decent and civilised manner when something happens they don't like...!!

Good to see the "religion of peace" living up to its name...... Again!

Surely she should of been wise to this

I've read that she was warned before about using the name 'mohammed' so to let the children name it that was silly. She hasn't exactly been in the country for a very short period of time either so she should have been well aware of how this would be interpreted.

Still the parents that complained dont sound like they have an ounce of brains between them!

As JPO has said above, these are still fairly backwards cultures so they tend to over-react and don't administer 'punishment' or 'justice' in a way we wouold deem fit. It's not our place to interfere in this tho, her sentence of 15 days was hardly shocking really - it's the reaction of the rest of the country that is.

Just show's how big a difference between our cultures/society there is.

OK...let's clear certain things here:

It is indeed crazy for what happened to the teacher. But all good in the end that she has been released and is back here.

Now let's be honest: (i don't want to start an argument here, just looking at it from the other side)

English people want foreigners and whoever comes in England to abide by the rules of their country. So forigners NEED to know the laws or at least have some knowledge of the law of the country.

By being convicted in a court of LAW in Sudan, the teacher was punished under the law of the country there.

Same happens if someone doesn't abide by the law in the UK.

So what's the fuss?

You break the law and you are punished for it. Simple. The rule of law applies just like it applies here. Nobody is above the law.

BUT as some of you might not have read/heard, there was a protest by BRITISH MUSLIMS in front of the Sudanese embassy and MPs took part in it. That shows that Muslims here do not agree with what happened with the teacher

motorbikez said:
Seems to me muslims can do and say what they want here or any where else in the world but you do one trivial thing like er name a teddy bear mohammed and you are in deep trouble.Ludicrous its about time the west woke up to this threat against our freedom.
I do agree on the Hamza bit but unfortunately not on the quoted text. NOT ALL Muslims can do whatever the want. TBH, it's only a minority that always shows up and messes all the hard work done by others. These are the ones that follow extremism and should NOT be mixed up with other Muslims.

I know a LOT of Muslims who get on with their daily life according to the laws of this country. They also practise their religion

Those Muslims (not to be called Muslims, in my opinion) who use religions to blow up places are all extremists and if you take the case of the London bombings, these stupids were all British born (from muslims parents who had nothing to do with them in their acts), so they had British passports, why call them Muslims then? Why is there an association with religion when they are mentioned. Never heard any person saying that the IRA are from this religion, the ETA are from this, Timothy McVeigh from this...

and from your previous comment, you state that, dueinternational outrage, the teacher was released. Maybe you forgot but Lord Ahmed and Baroness Warssi played a big role in that. or is there a hint of hypocrisy for not stating this? They British in this case and not Muslims.

john2garden said:
Things like that annoy me even more. Our Army have no money to spend, our Healthcare is vastly underfunded and our infrastructure is getting worse as each year passes. Instead we waste money on countries that perform mass genocide.
If only some billions were saved from the war in Iraq...

Anyway, as you might have guessed, I am a Muslim, been in the UK for 3 years with my wife, completeing studies and then flying back. I am also an avid England football fan (being from a former British colony) and go to all England matches.

I abide by the law of this country and has more English friends than Asians, etc....

A bit bored for writing such a long reply..LOL

PS: some of my phrases might not have been worded the correct way since I am mainly French speaking. So bare with me :p

Abdus, I dont think anyone is discounting what the Lord & Baroness did to get the release finalised and the gratitude of the nation is with them im sure.

One thing to point out though is that the IRA were indeed noted as a catholic organisation, as were the religions of the other factions involved. It is however yet another example of a religious war, the islamic extremists v's "they're enemies" is just the latest religous war. Anyone with half a brain cell who knows anything about history can recognise its not every muslim who dreams of strapping a bomb to their back & killing people. Trouble is there's far too many morons out there in all parts of the world in every religion who will stir up hatred & wars. There always has been since the days of the cavemen and probably always will be!!

Actually, there is a generalisation of sone minorities.

If, because of some stupid 'muslims', who think they are fighting their 'enemies', Muslims in general have to take the crap, then that wouldn't be fair.

While as you stated

Anyone with half a brain cell who knows anything about history can recognise its not every muslim who dreams of strapping a bomb to their back & killing people

it is better to emphasise on the fact that only a minority that has been negatively brainwashed, is to be blamed and 'anyone with halfd a brain' should not say:

Seems to me muslims can do and say what they want here or any where else in the world

this is obviously a generalisation (in my opinion)

abdus said:
this is obviously a generalisation (in my opinion)

Indeed there is, I was trying to make that point myself! Unfortunately this is human nature though to blame a general crowd as wrong doers, when a minority is at fault. Classic example is the generalisation that all teenagers in this country are rude, disobediant little vandals. Sure there's plenty that are, but then there's plenty that arent! Not a lot we can do about it other than accept some people in this world have no intention of accepting other people have different views or cultures.

abdus said:
OK...let's clear certain things here:

It is indeed crazy for what happened to the teacher. But all good in the end that she has been released and is back here.

Now let's be honest: (i don't want to start an argument here, just looking at it from the other side)

English people want foreigners and whoever comes in England to abide by the rules of their country. So forigners NEED to know the laws or at least have some knowledge of the law of the country.

By being convicted in a court of LAW in Sudan, the teacher was punished under the law of the country there.

Same happens if someone doesn't abide by the law in the UK.

So what's the fuss?

You break the law and you are punished for it. Simple. The rule of law applies just like it applies here. Nobody is above the law.

BUT as some of you might not have read/heard, there was a protest by BRITISH MUSLIMS in front of the Sudanese embassy and MPs took part in it. That shows that Muslims here do not agree with what happened with the teacher

I do agree on the Hamza bit but unfortunately not on the quoted text. NOT ALL Muslims can do whatever the want. TBH, it's only a minority that always shows up and messes all the hard work done by others. These are the ones that follow extremism and should NOT be mixed up with other Muslims.

I know a LOT of Muslims who get on with their daily life according to the laws of this country. They also practise their religion

Those Muslims (not to be called Muslims, in my opinion) who use religions to blow up places are all extremists and if you take the case of the London bombings, these stupids were all British born (from muslims parents who had nothing to do with them in their acts), so they had British passports, why call them Muslims then? Why is there an association with religion when they are mentioned. Never heard any person saying that the IRA are from this religion, the ETA are from this, Timothy McVeigh from this...

and from your previous comment, you state that, dueinternational outrage, the teacher was released. Maybe you forgot but Lord Ahmed and Baroness Warssi played a big role in that. or is there a hint of hypocrisy for not stating this? They British in this case and not Muslims.

First lets get to the most important and pertinent point Gillian Gibbons has been released and is fit and well.

Now I don't need or want a lecture on the the law from you Abdus,are you seriously comparing the laws of this country with a dysfunctional despotic
country like Sudan.

You state with one breath it is crazy for what happened to the teacher then contradict yourself by saying whats the fuss.

The fuss is that anyone with a grain of intelligence can see that the punishment far exceeded the percieved crime.
This was a political move on the part of president Bashir who is struggling
to keep control of Sudan.The state faces a ****** rebellion in western darfur and a separatist threat in the christian south,so to maintain his grip on power he needs to constantly rally support among his followers the security forces and the islamic establishment.

Gillian Gibbons was a pawn in Bashirs game which has backfired on him spectacularly.
Did you see any police or security forces challanging that rabble calling for her execution of couse not.

I am pleased that British muslims are starting to stand up and be counted
because until very recently they have said nothing or refused to condem
atrocities commited in the name of islam.

You and I can be thankful that we live in a country where we can speak our mind without fear of reprisals unlike Iaslamic countries.

motorbikez said:
First lets get ot the most important and pertinent point Gillian Gibbons has been released and is fit and well.

Now I don't need or want a lecture on the the law from you Abdus,are you seriously comparing the laws of this country with a dysfunctional despotic
country like Sudan.

You state with one breath it is crazy for what happened to the teacher then contradict yourself by saying whats the fuss.
The fuss is that anyone with a grain of intelligence can see that the punishment far exceeded the percieved crime.

and is fit and well.

do you feel annoyed by what I said? Did I give a lecture? or expressed my opinion?

I said it was crazy for what happened to her (my point of view) BUT he had to abide by the law of the country where she was leaving (FACT)..where's the contradiction here?

Grain of intelligence or not, the law for each country is different; the degree of punishent is relative.

I guess it would be a waste of time to give you a lecture of law.

:hi:

There is some truth in what I said and are you finding it hard to swallow?

Anyway, chill out :)

You haven't grasped my point Gillian Gibbons was in the wrong place at the wrong time and it seems to me you are getting very defensive and aggitated because you are finding the truth hard to swallow.

And yes it would be a waste of time lecturing me on Britsh law unless you
happen to lecture on Britsh law.